Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM

280 posts, read 422,291 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds, but most of all I want to have a smaller waist. I am swimming, weightlift, cardio 6 x a week. I'm eating clean and in my calorie zone for my height. I'm going to give it my all but I'm terrified that this bowling ball of fat on my stomach is not going to go away. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
First off you need to not worry about failure because if you do you probably will. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are improving your looks, health and self esteem. You cannot spot reduce so if you are an apple shape as opposed to a pear you may never have the waist you dream of. But you will look great anyway. Keep it up!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First off you need to not worry about failure because if you do you probably will. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are improving your looks, health and self esteem. You cannot spot reduce so if you are an apple shape as opposed to a pear you may never have the waist you dream of. But you will look great anyway. Keep it up!
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 AM

9 posts, read 11,458 times
I can recommend you to try jogging every morning for atleast an hour a day and try not to eat too much carbs during dinner. You must try, it really works.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottieme View Post
I can recommend you to try jogging every morning for atleast an hour a day and try not to eat too much carbs during dinner. You must try, it really works.

I can't jog due to my knees. I walk, lift weights, swim, and do the elliptical.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 16,395 times
Find out what your body fat % is asap. Go to Discovery Health channel video to see how. A measuring tape will probably be easiest method for you:

http://health.discovery.com/wellness...e-body-fat.htm

- Track your body fat% change once a month. If you are eating "clean" you can expect 1% loss. If you see no loss, but you're losing weight on the scale, then you need to change up your nutrition to burn fat instead of muscle.

- A large tummy is indicative of the wrong macronutrient ratios and/or carbohydrate sensitivity. In either case, you'll need to change your nutrition. Abs are made in the kitchen.

Last edited by ovhenderson; 09-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: forgot to add link

Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
A large tummy is indicative of genes. If one's body shape loses in the tummy last then thats when it loses it regardless of what one eats or doesn't eat.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM

17,540 posts, read 39,160,131 times
I agree with both of the above two posters - it is partly genes, and partly diet (carb or food sensitivity, etc)

For instance - my hubby has a build that no matter how thin he gets his waist is just not that small, you could even see that in his toddler pictures. He ballooned up terribly several years ago, and his "bloater" foods were mostly carbs like breads and sweets. He cuts those off and it melts off almost immediately. Try experimenting with your diet, eliminate breads and sweets for awhile and see what happens.

Not sure if you are a man or woman, I am female and after a certain age hormones play a part. I too want to lose about 15-20 mostly to get my waist back; but I know it will never be as small as it was when I was say about 30.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
Personally kettlebells really gets my fat burning going. Went through a phase a few months ago where I would just pick up a kettlebell and simply do 100-200 swings every day. With no other ab exercises and an 80% decent diet my stomach was starting to get really cut. This was impressive because my genetics lend me to having a little buddha belly no matter how much I work out. I was still doing my normal workout routine, just adding 5-8 minutes of kettlebell swings into my daily routine.

I'm in my late 40's and I'm running out of holes on my belt due to doing this.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I'm trying to lose 30 pounds, but most of all I want to have a smaller waist. I am swimming, weightlift, cardio 6 x a week. I'm eating clean and in my calorie zone for my height. I'm going to give it my all but I'm terrified that this bowling ball of fat on my stomach is not going to go away. Any thoughts?
Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Try cutting back or eliminating completely a few days a week foods like fried meat, red meat, cheese and other dairy like ice cream, yoghourt, milk, etc.

Cutting down on oil/fat can make a difference in your cholesterol levels also.

To get to where you want to be and stay there will take a lifestyle change and you don't have to do it all at once. Give yourself a year and cut back/substitute slowly or your body will revolt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss