Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 02:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
All carbs are not equal and in these discussions it is probably best to specify what type, i.e., whole grains, rice, whole plants, and other complex carbs, vs simple sugars and other refined carbs. That helps simplify things.
One thing about carbs is that it's very addictive. You can't just eat a few fries or bread. Even rice and grains are very addictive and not filling. People can eat a lot of sushi that are mostly rice and not get full after 1/2 hour and need an ice cream or dessert.

If people eat more protein they would be full quicker. Complex carbs are great for energy if only people can eat the healthy carbs. Very few Americans eat unsprouted grain bread. 90% of the whole wheat breads are not whole wheat with the entire hull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 02:15 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,408,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
One thing about carbs is that it's very addictive. You can't just eat a few fries or bread. Even rice and grains are very addictive and not filling. People can eat a lot of sushi that are mostly rice and not get full after 1/2 hour and need an ice cream or dessert.

If people eat more protein they would be full quicker. Complex carbs are great for energy if only people can eat the healthy carbs. Very few Americans eat unsprouted grain bread. 90% of the whole wheat breads are not whole wheat with the entire hull.
You should clarify that highly processed foods containing high amounts of ultra processed carbs and fats are the foods that are most addictive because they are hyper-palatable.

You won't find anyone addicted to whole wheat breads and grains.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's in the last sentence of my post.

Since the body has a limited capacity for glycogen, anything that is based on glucose (carbs) and not burned gets stored as fat. There is no where else for it to go. This also applies to fats and proteins but they take a different metabolic pathway. Protein can also be absorbed to gain muscle.
I saw it, and repeated it in mine.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,890 times
I must be an exception because I get quite full on rice. Fries I never touch, but whole grain bread is fine.

I always pair a protein with at least one meal, however, I have found that spinach is an appetite suppressant and I don't get hungry again for about 6 hours. Whenever I have a full schedule for the day, I have a lot of steamed spinach for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I must be an exception because I get quite full on rice. Fries I never touch, but whole grain bread is fine.

I always pair a protein with at least one meal, however, I have found that spinach is an appetite suppressant and I don't get hungry again for about 6 hours. Whenever I have a full schedule for the day, I have a lot of steamed spinach for breakfast.
I love rice and beans so much I eat it basically every other day. That by itself can fill me up.

Eating a fiber rich starch, half the plate full of vegetables, and a meat keeps me full for over twelve hours.

Eating just meat and vegetables, however, only lasts a few hours.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:09 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I love rice and beans so much I eat it basically every other day. That by itself can fill me up.

Eating a fiber rich starch, half the plate full of vegetables, and a meat keeps me full for over twelve hours.

Eating just meat and vegetables, however, only lasts a few hours.
I am exactly the same way. And I also love beans - I eat them almost daily, sometimes with rice sometimes without.
I will not stay full with just veggies and meat, even if it is a high fat meat.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Some of us have choice of low carb diet or insulin and other expensive diabetes drugs. Got a few extra $$$$ for insulin, the greedy have escalated price of it to insane level. Really horrible for T1 diabetics, where insulin is life, there is no choice for them. "whole food carbs" in more than trivial amount still raise my blood sugar. Wishful thinking that they dont. I ate a heavy whole grain and legume vegetarian diet for 30 years. I got diabetes with no family history of diabetes. Hey I was unusual diabetic without heart disease problems. Perfectly fine cholesterol levels. And blood pressure returned to normal within a month once I was stabilized on insulin. Again I ate a vegetarian whole food diet!!! Still got diabetes. Starch/Carbs are still starch/carbs even from wholesome whole foods. Its still going to spike your blood sugar. The small amount of extra fiber in whole grains compared to refined grains, doesnt make up for the huge concentration of starch in grain (starchy seed).

I have been eating low carb since my diagnosis like four years ago. Its low carb, around 100 grams carb per day, not keto. I dont know that actual keto is sustainable, it probably is, but not with factory farm foods from supermarket. And by way I am low carb with mostly vegetable and oily seed diet (flax, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, etc), along with eggs. Not meat and dairy. I personally dont care much for meat, least not more than in occasional tiny amounts, plus quality grass fed meat is $$$$. Even hard to find wild fish, its all this confined fish fed on dog food on fish farms. I do use some whole milk yogurt, just milk and yogurt culture, no sugars, flavors, fillers, etc. The culture helps deal with the lactose. You really gotta look at labels. The capitalists will adulterate anything they can get away with to increase profits by few pennies. They arent concerned with your health, only their pocketbooks.
We have, kind of, similar diets, except I love meats. Fortunately I don't have any health problem. I was about 30lbs overweight. I went from eating 900g of carbs a day to about 100g now. I lost 30lbs in the first 2 months. It's been six months now and I am at about 15% body fat. It's working for me.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
The experts - and I always read them before doing a new thing, including Atkins - say to try drinking some broth -
even hot water with a bouillon cube - you should feel more balance. More yourself.
They explain why this is.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:23 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Avoid wheat and don’t worry about weight, very easy for most.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:33 AM

289 posts, read 248,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Avoid wheat and don’t worry about weight, very easy for most.
No very few need to avoid wheat A tiny fraction of people have celiac disease or wheat allergies and truly can't eat gluten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss