Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I obviously have the slowest and most sluggish metabolism on the planet because despite doing the same as you after a couple of months and swimming laps and walking daily and phys therapy twice a week I’m lucky I’ve lost 5 lbs I am not giving up, I feel healthy but shifting 40 lbs isnt likely to happen, my body seems to cling onto fat like a desperate beast of some kind. Upping my exercise is not an option. Eating less is not an option either, I already eat a sensible paleo diet. Grrr.
Try cutting out potentially problematic foods such as:

Gluten
Eggs
Avocado
Dairy
Sugar

Get these out of your system and then add them back slowly, one at a time to see if you gain weight or retain fluid, get constipated, whatever.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM

And I don't care whether the weight is fluid or fat or whatever - when I go months at a time carrying around fluid or fat or whatever, I don't want to gain any of it back. Not for a day or two, not for a week, never.

After a month of a plateau weight wise (though I continued to lose inches), I think my body is back to losing weight - lost 2.2 pounds just yesterday. Maybe it's water weight, maybe not, who knows but over 2 pounds is OFF and over time that means over 30 pounds off in four months. I'll take that - it's not all water weight that I've lost that's for sure.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I don't care whether the weight is fluid or fat or whatever - when I go months at a time carrying around fluid or fat or whatever, I don't want to gain any of it back. Not for a day or two, not for a week, never.

After a month of a plateau weight wise (though I continued to lose inches), I think my body is back to losing weight - lost 2.2 pounds just yesterday. Maybe it's water weight, maybe not, who knows but over 2 pounds is OFF and over time that means over 30 pounds off in four months. I'll take that - it's not all water weight that I've lost that's for sure.
I was just responding that she did not gain any fat. She was getting frustrated. Maybe it's because I am in the fitness circles, but I really just concern myself with body fat. Water is easily gained and lost. It doesn't really stick. Mind you, that's just me. Maybe at this stage of the game, I'm just not going to go gonzo over the one lb of water I gain, and then turn around and lose it later when I eat less salt the next day, work out, etc.

Really all I care about is fitting into my clothing and staying at a certain weight range. I also assess my progress over time. I try not to get myself flustered because today I am 151 and last week I was 150. now if I am 150 one week, 151 next week, 153 and so on..then yeah maybe I'll tweak something. And even then, as long as I am below my "magic number". When I was losing, I went by week to week. But again, that's me. I'd hate to see frustration translate into derailment or anything crazy.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I was just responding that she did not gain any fat. She was getting frustrated. Maybe it's because I am in the fitness circles, but I really just concern myself with body fat. Water is easily gained and lost. It doesn't really stick. Mind you, that's just me. Maybe at this stage of the game, I'm just not going to go gonzo over the one lb of water I gain, and then turn around and lose it later when I eat less salt the next day, work out, etc.

Really all I care about is fitting into my clothing and staying at a certain weight range. I also assess my progress over time. I try not to get myself flustered because today I am 151 and last week I was 150. now if I am 150 one week, 151 next week, 153 and so on..then yeah maybe I'll tweak something. And even then, as long as I am below my "magic number". When I was losing, I went by week to week. But again, that's me. I'd hate to see frustration translate into derailment or anything crazy.
Oh I get it - small weight gains are just one of the symptoms I get when I add gluten - but they do count. I also get constipated, feel bloated, etc. But the weight gain is immediate and coupled with other digestive discomfort.

I listen to my body, which is my own body and everyone is different. My body tells me when something is impeding my progress - such as gluten or avocados. Thankfully I can and do eat most things with no problem.

But the weight gain is immediate and I know it because I weigh first thing every morning. It's easy for me to tweak my diet if I see something going on that I don't like, or if I feel a certain way.

We can go round and round on this matter but the bottom line is that our bodies are different. You can eat gluten and that's great. I can't and I'm fine with that. Both of us have lost significant weight and you're apparently in maintenance mode and I'm still losing - the plan is to lose 20 more pounds. Well actually 18 more pounds. If I can add gluten after that I will - but honestly, I don't miss it so I probably won't.

My point in all this is that I TRIED counting calories and/or points and it simply did not work for me. The plan I am on DOES work for me - as well as for many other people. So like you - I share what works FOR ME. Maybe it will work for someone else, maybe not. But it does - DOES - work for some people and I'm a walking, talking testimony for it's effectiveness.

I have three friends on this same plan and while they can eat gluten, they have found that they cannot eat other things that I can eat - because we're all different. But the plan - which does not involve counting calories - is working for them, with their own modifications, just like I've made my own modifications. Meanwhile, one of my best friends recently lost 70 pounds counting points with WeightWatchers. I've never been able to lose more than 8 pounds on WW though I followed the plan scrupulously. Now I know why - I was still eating gluten and other things that apparently I can't eat while trying to lose weight. But I'm not going to discount HER successful experience because it works for her, and lots of other people too.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Try cutting out potentially problematic foods such as:

Gluten
Eggs
Avocado
Dairy
Sugar

Get these out of your system and then add them back slowly, one at a time to see if you gain weight or retain fluid, get constipated, whatever.

Ive cut out gluten, sugar and rarely eat avocado . I haven’t had dairy for nearly two months. However I am on hormone blockers and my oncologist encourages me to eat at least some yogurt (low-fat/low sugar) ,so back to yogurt. Eggs are a major part of paleo but I can limit them.
Thanks Kathryn

Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Ive cut out gluten, sugar and rarely eat avocado . I haven’t had dairy for nearly two months. However I am on hormone blockers and my oncologist encourages me to eat at least some yogurt (low-fat/low sugar) ,so back to yogurt. Eggs are a major part of paleo but I can limit them.
Thanks Kathryn
You're welcome! As far as eggs or anything else goes, I think the key is seeing how YOUR body reacts to them. Everyone is different.

Personally I'm not "married" to any one particular plan - keto, paleo, South Beach, Mediterranean, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. I just had to test different foods one at a time to see what MY body likes and doesn't like.

I guess you could say that I am "married" to eating as close to a natural diet as possible.

I'm not allergic to any foods that I know of, but I am overly sensitive to some - for me it's gluten, beans, avocado and corn that I know of. Especially gluten so I just avoid that altogether, but the others I can eat in small portions occasionally, as long as I just realize that I am going to bloat, get gas, gain a pound or so, etc. if I eat more than about 1/4 a cup or a few spoonfuls. So that's not any one particular "diet plan" - it's just listening to my own body if that makes sense.

One of my friends who is on this plan with me found out she cannot eat eggs at all. Bummer. I would be sad! But now she knows so like me with gluten, she's just worked around it, which really isn't that hard. The other friend and I both eat eggs with no problem.

None of us have had any issues with nonfat, plain Greek yogurt either. I was sure glad to be able to add that back in because I love me some yogurt! I often make it at home when I'm feeling industrious!

It's a dairy product though and some people are very sensitive to dairy. I have heard that you can make yogurt from almond milk but have never tried it.

Paleo seems like a healthy plan overall. I can't see how it would hurt anyone though I love me some dairy so I won't be doing THAT plan - LOL. Also, I love and can eat nut butters (in moderation of course). In fact, when I get hungry, as in peckish, for a snack (usually around 4 pm) I eat a teaspoon of almond butter and WOW it satiates me. 50 calories. It "sticks with me" more than something like an apple or God forbid something worse. But overall I can't see any negatives to the paleo diet in general other than POTENTIALLY the dairy thing - but then some people are really sensitive to dairy so there you have it.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:30 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
You're welcome! As far as eggs or anything else goes, I think the key is seeing how YOUR body reacts to them. Everyone is different.

Personally I'm not "married" to any one particular plan - keto, paleo, South Beach, Mediterranean, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. I just had to test different foods one at a time to see what MY body likes and doesn't like.

I guess you could say that I am "married" to eating as close to a natural diet as possible.

I'm not allergic to any foods that I know of, but I am overly sensitive to some - for me it's gluten, beans, avocado and corn that I know of. Especially gluten so I just avoid that altogether, but the others I can eat in small portions occasionally, as long as I just realize that I am going to bloat, get gas, gain a pound or so, etc. if I eat more than about 1/4 a cup or a few spoonfuls. So that's not any one particular "diet plan" - it's just listening to my own body if that makes sense.

One of my friends who is on this plan with me found out she cannot eat eggs at all. Bummer. I would be sad! But now she knows so like me with gluten, she's just worked around it, which really isn't that hard. The other friend and I both eat eggs with no problem.

None of us have had any issues with nonfat, plain Greek yogurt either. I was sure glad to be able to add that back in because I love me some yogurt! I often make it at home when I'm feeling industrious!

It's a dairy product though and some people are very sensitive to dairy. I have heard that you can make yogurt from almond milk but have never tried it.

Paleo seems like a healthy plan overall. I can't see how it would hurt anyone though I love me some dairy so I won't be doing THAT plan - LOL. Also, I love and can eat nut butters (in moderation of course). In fact, when I get hungry, as in peckish, for a snack (usually around 4 pm) I eat a teaspoon of almond butter and WOW it satiates me. 50 calories. It "sticks with me" more than something like an apple or God forbid something worse. But overall I can't see any negatives to the paleo diet in general other than POTENTIALLY the dairy thing - but then some people are really sensitive to dairy so there you have it.

Good luck!
Thanks

Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Spuggy, I know you already know this, but whatever diet you choose, make sure it is tailored to your needs as a cancer fighter. Your nutrient needs may skew on the higher side and it may not be good to cut too much

Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Update - I've lost three more pounds so the total is about 33 or 34 pounds! Going for 40!!!!!!!

Oh and 65 inches so far - I think I've mentioned that at least five times now - LOL.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:52 AM

Update - lost another pound this week so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss