Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 AM

676 posts, read 529,396 times

Advertisements

It's easier to lose weight through calorie restriction, or exercise, or both when you have quite a bit of weight to lose and you are somewhat sedentary to begin.

Calorie deficit can come from reduced calories, increased exercise, or both.

But, the less weight that needs to come off (last 10 lbs) and the more fit an individual is, the harder it is to lose. Also, the older a person is (especially a woman), the harder it becomes to lose because the metabolism slows down.

So ...... calorie restriction becomes the more important of the two for weight loss because the body does not respond as easily or readily to an increase in exercise when a person is very fit, relatively slim, and/or older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 AM

22,056 posts, read 13,071,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones then I didn't try and find a magic bullet or fad diet and I didn't think I was going to lose 15lbs a month either. But it really wasn't any harder to lose than it was when I was younger. I was an athlete when I was in my teens and 20s with a lot of lean muscle. My resting heart rate has always been low because of that (50's)- so maybe all of that helped me lose more easily? Also, I'm almost 6' tall. I did weight training and a bit cardio, mostly fast walking/treadmill - and after I lost the first 30lbs, I started doing Pilates.

Just glad I lost it. It hasn't been hard to keep off, thankfully!
It's not nice to gloat, haha! We also ALL lose lose muscle mass as we age (it's replaced by fat tissue), and then there are hormones... Have you experienced menopause yet? That doesn't help matters, either. But we're happy for you!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM

32 posts, read 23,750 times
Exercise not only changes your body--it changes your mind,your attitude and your mood,,

Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM

359 posts, read 321,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Maybe you are a lucky one lol. Im about as tall as you. No fad diets for me either. Lost my weight (60 lbs) by sensibly eating and exercise (lifting and cardio). But it was harder than when I was younger. Double the effort for the same results, but ultimately my goal was attained. I'm not quick to call something bs just bc my results differed. And keeping the weight off can be equally challenging. Thankfully physical activity is part of my life, so it's been fine. But the moment I slip it will come back on, plus ten lbs. guaranteed.

Cheers to your for the 60lbs loss! Sensibly eating and exercise is the way to go!

I'm crossing my fingers that as I age it's not going to be harder to maintain the weight loss .. It may, at some point be inevitable though That's why I stay so active!

Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's not nice to gloat, haha! We also ALL lose lose muscle mass as we age (it's replaced by fat tissue), and then there are hormones... Have you experienced menopause yet? That doesn't help matters, either. But we're happy for you!
Menopause now! Yikes! As I said above, I'm crossing my fingers and staying active.

I always figured if the older celebs and models can look amazing during and after menopause, so can we. (I know a few of 'em!) Sure they have more money, but no amount of money is going to stop menopause. And yes, money can buy you a trainer, but it's not going to get you up at 5am and make you go to the gym and work out 5 days a week. And money is not going to give you willpower either. I have many older friends who look amazing. Menopause is not the end of us, *and it doesn't mean we can use it as an excuse to get sloppy and and gain weight - it just brings out the fire and determination to make the rest of our lives even better!

* I'm not saying anyone here said that, but I've seen it happen.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millieporter View Post
Exercise not only changes your body--it changes your mind,your attitude and your mood,,

So true. Pilates, especially, has given me so much energy and has even given me a mental boost.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
Quote:
Cheers to your for the 60lbs loss! Sensibly eating and exercise is the way to go!

I'm crossing my fingers that as I age it's not going to be harder to maintain the weight loss .. It may, at some point be inevitable though That's why I stay so active!
It sounds like you have a great attitude and a good handle on your diet and exercise. As long as you put in the work you should be okay. But your metabolism will slow down, and the gains that you have go away much faster than when you are younger.
It is like Sisyphus - you are constantly rolling the rock uphill only to have it roll back down again.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,246,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
UPDATE: And now that I've had to stop doing Zumba 4x/week due to a scheduling conflict, I've gained just about all of that ten pounds back! So I'm a believer that, while diet is important, I (at least) need pretty vigorous, regular exercise, too. I'm a walker and almost always get my 10k steps a day, but apparently even that isn't enough, with no change in my diet.
I would take this as evidence of the statement that you can't outrun a bad diet and thus that exercise really is not the best way to lose weight. Do you really want to let your weight and health depend on your ability to Zumba 4x/week? What if you break a leg? No matter how good you think your diet is I recommend you to reevaluate it and make proper adjustments.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 AM

676 posts, read 529,396 times
Quote:
Menopause now! Yikes! As I said above, I'm crossing my fingers and staying active.

I always figured if the older celebs and models can look amazing during and after menopause, so can we. (I know a few of 'em!) Sure they have more money, but no amount of money is going to stop menopause. And yes, money can buy you a trainer, but it's not going to get you up at 5am and make you go to the gym and work out 5 days a week. And money is not going to give you willpower either. I have many older friends who look amazing. Menopause is not the end of us, *and it doesn't mean we can use it as an excuse to get sloppy and and gain weight - it just brings out the fire and determination to make the rest of our lives even better!

* I'm not saying anyone here said that, but I've seen it happen.
I'm right behind you VoxTerra!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
No you can't outrun a "bad" diet, but for optimal results, it is diet AND exercise. Working out to me is very important for not only weight control but my overall health. Missing a day at the gym is tantamount to missing any other important activity in my life. I would never have achieved my results without constant rigorous exercise. I'd rather eat a little more and bust my butt than go on a yucky 1200 calorie diet. If I'm injured, I'm injured (thankfully I've never been injured). I'll just go back to the gym and resuming working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss