Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 13,708 times

Advertisements

From my own experience, I can tell that exercising doesn't help to lose weight. The more I exercise the more I eat. Diet without exercising always works for weight loss. I still exercise every day but the goal is not a weight loss, I just want to feel better and be healthier. Human bodies were not created for sitting all day on our butts, we need to move!!! And when I need to lose weight I improve my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Well, I'm sorry to have to report that I lost ten pounds doing Zumba (and changing nothing else) since I last posted here. So apparently exercise DOES help -- at least me.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:20 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, I'm sorry to have to report that I lost ten pounds doing Zumba (and changing nothing else) since I last posted here. So apparently exercise DOES help -- at least me.
You were burning more calories than you were consuming. That is how exercise works besides keeping your mind and body fit. However if you eating more calories you would not lose any weight. It is basic science and you simply cannot out run or in your case out Zumba your diet.
You are doing it right, congrats!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Exercise keeps your heart AND belly from being flabby. And keeps the rest of you firm.

Food, diet and nutrition keep our weight in check.

It' not an either/or situation. It's BOTH that keep us well.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 PM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
Really? It's obviously different for everyone because I've lost 80lbs and kept it off for 5 years. It was really slow going at first - clean eating only, no exercise. However, when I started exercising the weight started melting off.

I can now be a bit more lax with my diet since I have met my goal, but still continue to exercise 5x a week because I love it! PS: I'm 51, so no excuses how it's harder for older women to lose weight. That's BS. What you eat is A CHOICE and exercising is A CHOICE. Eat less and move more and you'll lose weight. Sad thing is that most people are lazy and want it all to come easy.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Really? It's obviously different for everyone because I've lost 80lbs and kept it off for 5 years. It was really slow going at first - clean eating only, no exercise. However, when I started exercising the weight started melting off.

I can now be a bit more lax with my diet since I have met my goal, but still continue to exercise 5x a week because I love it! PS: I'm 51, so no excuses how it's harder for older women to lose weight. That's BS. What you eat is A CHOICE and exercising is A CHOICE. Eat less and move more and you'll lose weight. Sad thing is that most people are lazy and want it all to come easy.
It is harder for older women to lose weight. That is a fact. Diet needs to be stricter and exercise needs to be consistent. It can be done, I am 55 and I stay in shape through a dedication to being in shape. I did however gain 10 pounds because as we age it goes on a lot easier, and now it is finally coming off. When you are younger 2 pounds a week is fairly easy to lose, in your 50's its about 1 pound if you are lucky.
All I can say to you is if you do gain any weight back don't be so hard on yourself when it does not come off as easy at it did 5 years ago.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
UPDATE: And now that I've had to stop doing Zumba 4x/week due to a scheduling conflict, I've gained just about all of that ten pounds back! So I'm a believer that, while diet is important, I (at least) need pretty vigorous, regular exercise, too. I'm a walker and almost always get my 10k steps a day, but apparently even that isn't enough, with no change in my diet.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It is harder for older women to lose weight. That is a fact. Diet needs to be stricter and exercise needs to be consistent. It can be done, I am 55 and I stay in shape through a dedication to being in shape. I did however gain 10 pounds because as we age it goes on a lot easier, and now it is finally coming off. When you are younger 2 pounds a week is fairly easy to lose, in your 50's its about 1 pound if you are lucky.
All I can say to you is if you do gain any weight back don't be so hard on yourself when it does not come off as easy at it did 5 years ago.
Agreed! Let's be real here. It IS harder to lose weight when you are over 40. It was far more of a challenge to lose weight now than it was years ago. While acknowledging that, just because it's harder doesn't mean losing weight in your middle age is impossible. It just requires more effort and dedication. Many lose their resolve because they are not seeing the rapid results that they desire. My motto is that the tortoise eventually wins the race.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:02 PM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
All I can say to you is if you do gain any weight back don't be so hard on yourself when it does not come off
as easy at it did 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Agreed! Let's be real here. It IS harder to lose weight when you are over 40. It was far more of a challenge to lose weight now than it was years ago. While acknowledging that, just because it's harder doesn't mean losing weight in your middle age is impossible. It just requires more effort and dedication. Many lose their resolve because they are not seeing the rapid results that they desire. My motto is that the tortoise eventually wins the race.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones then I didn't try and find a magic bullet or fad diet and I didn't think I was going to lose 15lbs a month either. But it really wasn't any harder to lose than it was when I was younger. I was an athlete when I was in my teens and 20s with a lot of lean muscle. My resting heart rate has always been low because of that (50's)- so maybe all of that helped me lose more easily? Also, I'm almost 6' tall. I did weight training and a bit cardio, mostly fast walking/treadmill - and after I lost the first 30lbs, I started doing Pilates.

Just glad I lost it. It hasn't been hard to keep off, thankfully!

Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones then I didn't try and find a magic bullet or fad diet and I didn't think I was going to lose 15lbs a month either. But it really wasn't any harder to lose than it was when I was younger. I was an athlete when I was in my teens and 20s with a lot of lean muscle. My resting heart rate has always been low because of that (50's)- so maybe all of that helped me lose more easily? Also, I'm almost 6' tall. I did weight training and a bit cardio, mostly fast walking/treadmill - and after I lost the first 30lbs, I started doing Pilates.

Just glad I lost it. It hasn't been hard to keep off, thankfully!
Maybe you are a lucky one lol. Im about as tall as you. No fad diets for me either. Lost my weight (60 lbs) by sensibly eating and exercise (lifting and cardio). But it was harder than when I was younger. Double the effort for the same results, but ultimately my goal was attained. I'm not quick to call something bs just bc my results differed. And keeping the weight off can be equally challenging. Thankfully physical activity is part of my life, so it's been fine. But the moment I slip it will come back on, plus ten lbs. guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss