Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times

Advertisements

What matters to cardiovascular health is the overall dietary pattern, rather than individual nutrients. There is no one single nutrient that's responsible for all health problems, and there is no one nutrient that will make people healthy.

The dietary patterns consistently associated with good health tend to be low in saturated fat, sugar, salt, and processed foods and high in fiber and whole foods. This is because they're made up of the more nutritious foods overall. Those foods are also minimally processed. These dietary patterns focus largely on vegetables, fruits, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.

There is no pixie dust involved, no magic formula, and there is no one particular nutrient such as carbohydrate which is the main villain. Basically, if you want to have good heart health, eat whole foods in sensible amounts.

The exact same thing applies to having a healthy weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Can we stop with the low-carb tangents? It's not what the OP was asking about.

That might be the wake up call the husband needs--sit down with him and say, "okay, we need to go over our wills and insurance and finances, since you're not acting like someone who's going to be around much longer."
If the OP is not feeding her husband satisfying meals (which is evidenced by his snacking on other things), then she needs to help him find somehting satisfying...which high fat, low carb IS!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If the OP is not feeding her husband satisfying meals (which is evidenced by his snacking on other things), then she needs to help him find somehting satisfying...which high fat, low carb IS!

Which is the recipe for giving him another heart attack.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Which is the recipe for giving him another heart attack.
Nope. Definitely NOT true. Fat is not the bad guy. Refined carbs and sugar are the bad guys.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Quote:
Nope. Definitely NOT true. Fat is not the bad guy. Refined carbs and sugar are the bad guys.
Cholesterol is a known component for vein blockage. Ergo, most patients are on blood thinners and diuretics due to the cardio scare.

Three points to consider:
Excercise - Is he walking and being active?
Nutrition: What raw foods ( veggies and fruits)? Fish and healthy lean meats. refrain from high sodium foods

Mental Health: most face depression after such a heart scare. Anxiety does perpetuate- eating more... Being active less.

In my home , no snacks (sugary, or baked) were in reach. We ALL changed diet and supported a more attuned physical activity.

I stopped noticing "treats", since for us the treats were nuts,fruits or a smoothie ... All which we kept on hand to compliment our choice to eat well.

Be a part of the solution and tell hubs he can help with that . He can make the list and prepare foods. It will get him up and moving. We had our hospital give us a list of foods to clear out and if we wanted to donate them to the soup kitchen all the better.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Saturated fat and animal products are definitely implicated in heart disease.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Cholesterol is a known component for vein blockage. Ergo, most patients are on blood thinners and diuretics due to the cardio scare.

Cholesterol is hereditary. Dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood. (Source: My mother had high cholesterol and ate nothing animal based and was on Lipitor. Never got it down. My dad eats a burger every day. Low cholesterol. My own numbers are great. )

Quote:
Uh huh. Sure. Sugar, including HFCS, and refined carbs (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, etc.) have nothing to do with heart disease, right? /sarcasm off.

I eat tons of butter, real cream, and meat. Also green veggies and berries. Almonds. My health numbers are spectacular.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
First the nuts need to go. They are extremely addictive and full of fat. Don't buy them. Second maybe let him cook his own meals LOL

I don't believe people need to stop eating bread or pasta. Some of us cannot live on meat and salads alone. I don't like meats or fruits that much and I am not gonna waste my calories on things that don't satisfy my hunger. Bread, rice and pasta don't make people fat, it's the portion size what makes people fat. It's eating 2 or 3 cups of pasta and adding 3 or 4 tbs of butter plus loads of cheese, plus oversized portions of meat.
Incredibly bad advice.

Carbs and eating too much make you fat.

You don't have to stop eating it but you should tightly control it and eat whole grains. If you are at a good weight. If your trying to lose weight you should eliminate them and reduce your calorie intake.

You can cut sub the pasta for veggies and keep some of the butter and eat a proper portion of meat and you will do better.

Quote:
Glycemic load is what is important in terms of metabolic effects. The glycemic load of whole wheat is 7-9. The glycemic load of sprouted wheat is 0.5. The glycemic load of cake is 17-24.
Partly true. But what this still doesn't mention is that this assumes people are eating a normal portion. You can go...well whole wheat bread has a low glycemic load so I can eat 5 slices of toast for breakfast and expect to lose weight.

Quote:
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Your body makes more cholesterol than you eat. If you eat more cholesterol your body produces less and vice versa. Many studies show that dietary cholesterol changes has little impact on your cholesterol level.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
They all are.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
If one is trying to lose weight it is better to remove all forms of modern wheat from consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss