Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Flavored sparkling water did the trick. No calories, sodium or caffeine.
I have started drinking more of unsweetened sparkling water lately (though Target seems to have discontinued their house brand, which l liked.) Now if I have a diet pop it tastes cloyingly sweet and I always have to check if I've gotten regular by mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:59 PM

596 posts, read 428,437 times
3? I was up to a 6 pack or more per day...and 295lbs. I switched to (mostly) water and my new flavored drink of choice is PowerAde Zero.

It helps you lose a lot of weight...or it did in my case. I still have one from time to time...it's worked OK for me.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
the sparkling flavored waters from safeway did the trick for me too.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the sparkling flavored waters from safeway did the trick for me too.
That's the kind I get too. Cascade is even better if you can find it.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:41 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Cold turkey !
Either that or getting heart attack later on.

It was hard, and the worst thing you can do afterwards, is drinking diet stuff.
That is *health-wise* even worse !

The first thing to do is to NOT have it in your vicinity .
Do not buy it anymore, do not have it in your house anywhere .

As I mentioned hard to do on your own, but if your family is *with* you, it helps .

I always have a container with ice cold water with some lemon slices in it !

Old 05-25-2016, 02:34 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I drank 4-6 Diet Cokes a day. I haven't had one in about a year and a half. Just went cold turkey. I switched to unsweet tea and flavored mineral water. The mineral water satisfies the craving for bubbles.

Everyone told me how much better I'd feel afterwards. I'm not going to lie; I feel absolutely no different. But I know that they were really bad for me, so I won't go back. But I think the secret is to just don't drink them at all any more. I really think if I had one, it would very quickly turn back into 4-6 a day.
I also was a diet coke drinker, however, I have never been much of a regular (i.e., not diet) soda drinker. Too sweet and I would feel thirstier after I drank one. I decided I didn't need all the caffeine and whatever other bad stuff is in diet soda. I thought I'd feel different too. Nope, not so much. I now drink flavored sparkling water. My next step is to get away from carbonation.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Quitting soda is easy. You can stop cold turkey as long as you find a good (healthy) substitute for it. But be careful: you need to replace the lost water intake as well as the calories you're now missing out on. That means you can't simply substitute is with water, tea or coffee (all 0 calories) because you will most likely get hungry and start drinking it again.

Ideally you stop soda entirely, replace it with water, tea and/or coffee and for the calories eat a variety of healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, meats, whole grains etc.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
I just started cutting back and switched to water. I did it decades ago and now don't even crave the stuff. Now if only I could do that with chocolate I'd be golden!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:17 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am a soda addict (usually 3 cokes a day) and would like to quit. I know this takes a certain amount of effort. There are no magic bullets. But are there any former soda addicts out there who can share tips with how they quit?

Thanks!
OP if you're struggling with sugar cravings and/or caffeine withdrawal, just keep pushing through, study ways to get past those.

My parents raised me on Pepsi. I drank several cans a day. When I was 16 I got hold of a Prevention Magazine and started reading about how healthy water is. So I stopped drinking soda, and started drinking water. That was 24 years ago.

All I drink now is water, and occasionally when I crave flavor & indugence I drink fresh-squeezed lemon water, C4 (it's an energy drink), almond milk, chocolate almond milk, Naked fruit smoothies. When I occasionally crave that soda fizz I have Diet Ginger Ale. Then it makes me feel funny, so back to water or lemon water.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
Growing up we didn't drink water, we just drank soda, so I craved it everytime I was thirsty. Needless to say, it was normal for me to drink a 2 liter a day. Went cold turkey. It took me MONTHS to get to the point that I felt water quenched my thirst. I have a soda a few times a year, but it does nothing for me now. It doesn't even taste good anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss