Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,582,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The amount of calories you need is VERY small,do the math and stop the overage.
How small? I've always heard that 1500-2500 calories are the average daily requirement. Anything less than that is starving yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
How small? I've always heard that 1500-2500 calories are the average daily requirement. Anything less than that is starving yourself?
2500 is really high, especially for a non-athletic woman. Everyone's different, and it depends on a person's activity level, but for a woman wanting to lose weight, you want to stay between 1200-1500. That's not at all starving yourself.

Have you been using a food tracking app like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople? You can plug in your stats and it will give you a calorie range based on your needs.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,316 times
Getting started on getting healthy is hard. Especially when you have been there before and now it just seems as if life is "in the way." You are stressed out, busy, and food has become your "out." You feel your best when you are eating, even if you are not hungry.

You are not holding yourself accountable in the moment. Here is an example; It is 8 am you have made your mind up that today is the day you are not going to eat junk, you are going to make the right choices all day going forward. Well 3 pm rolls around and you are tired, stressed, and ready to go home. You find yourself running to the vending machine or store to buy a treat, like a little mini vacation from the issues of the day.

There is a better way to do this and sometimes you need to not give up, but get help. I have helped others in your situation get back on track and stay there. We are talking a lot about this exact problem in my Facebook group, Come over and join... It will really help you get started and if you have questions, I can speak with you to and you can ask some questions. Here is the link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/701491493293979/

Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM

80 posts, read 70,326 times
Your diet sounds awful! 4-5 bowls of cereal for dinner?! The fk?

What's your veg/fruit intake? Your diet is probably why you are so tired. I suspect you're underestimating the calories you consume as well.

What have you eaten for your meals the last few days?

Can you do a home work out at least? You need resistance AND cardio not just a treadmill walk...but if you don't care about building some muscle and just want to lose some weight you can do so by changing your diet. You seriously need to start thinking about your meal choices.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Since you are young, prime, you have an advantage. Good that you're realizing a pattern. I think your sleep disorder plays in to things. if you had more sleep you would not need to take a midday nap and that nap time could go towards exercising. I have sleep problems myself. You need to taper down the calories. At your height weight, probably start at 1700 and work your way downward. Going below 1200 or even immediately cutting calories will only sabotage your efforts. Same applies to exercising like a fiend. Start small, and as you get more fit, work your way up. If you feel that you can do more, by all means DO MORE. If you feel like you are full and don't need to eat, don't eat. Track your calories and your patterns. Are you eating due to boredom, stress, etc.? That type of eating can be problematic. If you do need to eat like that, then maybe eat small, more healthful choices. I like food too and I like eating what I want. I find that if you allow yourself one cheat day per week where you do eat (within reason) what you want, you're more likely to stick to healthy eating for the remaining days. So, try and start exercising. Start at 10 minutes. If you feel up to it, go up to 15 minutes. Change things up. Walk on treadmill one day, walk outside another day, etc.

What really helped more than anything was adding weight training to my exercise plan. Cardio always bored the hell out of me and by itself didn't really do much for me. I started seeing tone within two dedicated weeks. This in turn encourages you to keep on because you see yourself changing.

Good luck and hang in there.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 3,611 times
I love to research health issues. You indicated that you regularly eat junk food and fast food, plus other comments. There is scientifically proven research that shows how that type of lifestyle biologically effects your brain and body functions. If interested email me and I will be more than willing to share it with you. Once you understand the biological effects then you can better address how to make changes. Tired of MODs deleting part or all of my posts because they do not understand it. Will give you a couple of hints: 1) certain foods are associated with blocking the body’s FEELING FULL eating feedback loop to where you eat more; and 2) there is a condition becoming more prevalent in the 21st century called Tofi or “thin on the outside fat inside” where most show prediabetic symptoms (Proven with body scans). Also you don't want to lose weight fast, not great for body/liver (fatty liver), you want to make diet/lifestyle changes that last a life time to avoid yoyo weight cycles. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:38 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I've been letting stress get the best of me lately. I've been eating junk food, and I probably weigh about 180 pounds. I've noticed a double chin forming, and my cheeks and stomach have filled out. I need to get back to a healthy weight and lose this icky looking chin and stomach. Do you have any suggestions?

Here is what my schedule usually looks like
5:30 Get up for work
7:00 AM Begin work
3:00 Leave work
3:30 Get home
4:00 Take a nap
5:00 Go out / go back to work
9:00 Get home again
10:00 Plan / Get ready for bed
11:00 Go to sleep

Since I have a few hours free each day, I could probably squeeze in some exercise. I'm usually very tired, though. I get up around 3:30 AM and sometimes stay up until 4:00 or 5:00, most mornings. Plus, I'm somewhat active as is. One more hour of exercise doesn't really feel like it will make much of a difference.

About me:

I'm 29 years old
Female
Hold sort of a "desk job"
Drive to work; I would like to walk or ride a bike to work to get extra exercise, but I've been advised against it.
Weigh about 180 lbs
About 5'6"

Diet:
Junk food and fast food more than 3 times per week
I also prepare and eat healthier options, but I frequently overeat even when I'm eating healthy.

Read the book The Plant Paradox and follow the recommendations,

Old 06-16-2019, 04:39 PM

289 posts, read 248,588 times
krmb
Seems like you have had so many different opinions launched at you in this thread you must be all over the place.
Whatever way you decided to go I would suggest you take small steps towards your goal conquer one then slowly move onto the nest don't try to do it all at once.
Probably best to drop junk and take out food first then move on from there, please don't be persuaded to try quick fix diets, pills, or starvation diets they are nether sustainable and those that do usually rebound to a worse place then were they started.
Lack of Sleep and stress will need addressing as you will struggle with those two round your neck.
Any questions please ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss