Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
The info provided is just not enough to know what you should do. Eating fast food/junk food every day is in itself not a reason for increased weight, not even if you don't exercise. It's not healthy but you need to look at what you eat or drink besides the junk food. Do you drink soda or alcohol for example? Those can be the game changers in this case. Do you eat lots of candy, chocolate, ice-cream etc. besides the fast food dinners?

You need to provide more information about your eating/drinking habits
I overeat and eat a lot of junk food (i.e. chips, candy, ice cream, fast food, etc.) I also overeat on healthy food, like nutritional protein shakes (for instance, a large size is at least 500 calories, and I may get the large even after consuming my calorie requirement for the day).

In a typical day:

Breakfast: if I eat breakfast, it's usually something light, maybe granola and grains made into cereal with whole milk, left overs from dinner, or a slice of toast.

Lunch: I usually buy lunch out or eat in the cafeteria. Lunch usually runs about 600-800 calories when I eat out. The cafeteria food might be healthier; I'm not sure because I would feel weird about asking for the calorie count.

Dinner: I usually just get dinner out or just snack on things. I may have four or five bowls of granola cereal with whole milk, a piece of cake, some gummy candy, pretzel chips, etc., instead of preparing another meal. When I do prepare a meal, I usually eat on it multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I overeat and eat a lot of junk food (i.e. chips, candy, ice cream, fast food, etc.) I also overeat on healthy food, like nutritional protein shakes (for instance, a large size is at least 500 calories, and I may get the large even after consuming my calorie requirement for the day).

In a typical day:

Breakfast: if I eat breakfast, it's usually something light, maybe granola and grains made into cereal with whole milk, left overs from dinner, or a slice of toast.

Lunch: I usually buy lunch out or eat in the cafeteria. Lunch usually runs about 600-800 calories when I eat out. The cafeteria food might be healthier; I'm not sure because I would feel weird about asking for the calorie count.

Dinner: I usually just get dinner out or just snack on things. I may have four or five bowls of granola cereal with whole milk, a piece of cake, some gummy candy, pretzel chips, etc., instead of preparing another meal. When I do prepare a meal, I usually eat on it multiple times.
It really sounds as if you have no desire to lose weight. Please learn about nutrition.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
Quote:
It's mostly internet surfing, which might prove difficult to do on a treadmill. I could get a local gym membership for around $10 per month, but I don't like working out at gyms around people. I know from experience that walking is my best strategy. I just haven't taken the time to go for long walks. Sometimes, my feet and legs hurt when I'm on them for too long, so walking for long distances is sometimes quite uncomfortable. Another option would be investing in a small trampoline; they don't cost as much as treadmills.
Wow. You have an excuse for everything. Why you don't exercise. Why you eat junk.
Maybe you need Overeaters Anonymous to confront the excuses.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Wow. You have an excuse for everything. Why you don't exercise. Why you eat junk.
Maybe you need Overeaters Anonymous to confront the excuses.

Excuses? No, one of you said you needed more information about what my daily eating habits looked like. I was just giving more details.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Eek! More reasons to lose weight. According to the BMI, I'm almost in the Obese category! Actually, 180 pounds is just an estimate. I may be lower... or higher! Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm overweight. I was overweight the last time I was weighed and, if anything, I've gained more weight since then. It has almost ALL stayed in my lower half and stomach, but I'm still fat.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:50 PM

I should probably just join a gym and spend a few hours per week on the treadmill. I've heard hormonal changes make it difficult for women in their 30s to lose weight, though, and I'm 29, so I would prefer making whatever exercise routine I try a habit I enjoy in case it takes a while to see results. I think it took me about two years to put on this weight, so it probably won't disappear in just a few months.

I should probably also just have one sensible meal per day and snack on fruit and vegetables in between. Right now, I don't even feel like eating. In my defense, though, I have been having problems with my stomach, and that might be one reason I've been eating so much.

Last edited by krmb; 04-17-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
I should probably just join a gym and spend a few hours per week on the treadmill. I've heard hormonal changes make it difficult for women in their 30s to lose weight, though, and I'm 29, so I would prefer making whatever exercise routine I try a habit I enjoy in case it takes a while to see results. I think it took me about two years to put on this weight, so it probably won't disappear in just a few months.

I should probably also just have one sensible meal per day and snack on fruit and vegetables in between. Right now, I don't even feel like eating. In my defense, though, I have been having problems with my stomach, and that might be one reason I've been eating so much.
At 29 you can lose weight just fine. I am actually surprised you are 29, your posts read more like a teenager. Going to a gym and using the treadmill will do zero for weight loss if you are not already eating at a calorie deficit.
This is just very simple - do you want to lose weight? If the answer is yes then stop looking for excuses and just do it.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:54 PM

380 posts, read 653,566 times
I'd skip exercise (for now) and clean up your diet. There is lots of room for improvement. Once you lose 40 pounds, then I'd start amping up exercise.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,848,088 times
We have some really knowledgeable folks in the exercise and fitness forum if you want to post questions there about exercise.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
We have some really knowledgeable folks in the exercise and fitness forum if you want to post questions there about exercise.

Okay, I think I might try there. I went looking around for a gym to join today, and I found a few that I liked. I might join a gym, but I'm not sure. It would maybe provide reinforcement for my diet plan if my membership also included a personal trainer. Also, I seriously overestimated my weight. I'm at about 162 lbs, which is still over my BMI and puts me in the overweight category, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss