Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 AM

166 posts, read 243,612 times

Advertisements

Admittedly I only read the first page so if this has been covered forgive me.

I'm 43 and still on Active duty in the military. I'm 6'3" 220lbs. I've been as heavy as 238 and as light as 205 in the past 10 years. I feel best at 210-215ish. I ran 45 miles last month and plan to run 50 this month. I exercise pretty regularly and pass my annual PT test with ease. At age 37 I could run 5 miles in just under 38 minutes and I weighed 205lbs but hurt all the time from running so much. I ran a 65 minute 10K last week and felt fine. In 2010 I was at 215lbs after returning from a 7 month deployment where I ran worked out all the time in 2010. I could run a 24 minute 5k at that time and had some impressive strength (to me at least). Point is, its going to fluctuate some.

That said if you are going to exercise at age 40 you wont recover as fast as you did at age 25. Pay attention to your body and avoid injuries. This is very important at our age. I've started taking Taekwondo with my 8 year old son so that 1: We have that shared experience together and 2: Flexibility.
I get some cardio benefit from it but those are my two main reasons. I stretch quite a bit and my flexibility has improved a lot. This helps cut down on injuries and injury prevention is key at our age. You are much more susceptible and your recovery will be longer. In short, be careful, stuff hurts a lot more as you age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
I have said this before, but I think you have to be your own scientist - learn to listen carefully to what your particular body is telling you. Experiment and observe. I stayed on Dr. Ornishes low fat diet for a decade because it was so touted. It almost killed me and created some very scary health problems as I started aging. It took a lot of experimenting until I learned that My body thrives with a more paleo type diet with healthy fats, low carb, lots of protein. I am 62, and I now have super optimal lipids, great weight, and good energy.

My husband 70, however, thrives on a more low fat and vegetarian diet-he gains weight, gets constipated and sluggish on my type diet. It took him a lot of experimenting to find this out. As you age, your body can develop different needs, so listen, listen, to what it is telling you it needs for optimal health.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Im 42 and have lost 26 lbs in the past couple of months simply by counting calories. No exercise other than a casual 3-5 mile walk whenever the weather (and loose dogs) allow.

My motivation? Sick of buying new clothes. Id rather be able to fit into the ones i already have.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
My motivation? Sick of buying new clothes. Id rather be able to fit into the ones i already have.
I love buying new skinny clothes but I hate buying new fat clothes.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I love buying new skinny clothes but I hate buying new fat clothes.
Oh dont get me wrong i do love shopping for cute clothes but i hate when later on i cant fit into them anymore. Instead of buying fat clothes id simply rather lose weight so i can fit back into my skinny items.

Its amazing how much this counting calories does for you. Ive been eating all day (salads, fruits, etc) and im at only half of my recommended calorie intake. I really have no desire to eat anything but if hunger pangs hit i'll grab a handful of peanuts. I'll do a walk here in a bit (about 3 miles). Im expecting to see further weight reduction tomorrow (probably a pound or 2).

Old 06-06-2014, 01:32 AM

88 posts, read 192,218 times
If you want suggestion from me then i suggest you to drink green tea if you have crossed 40 because with this method you no need to do extra workouts so i think this is the best solution for all of them who have crossed 40.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTice View Post
If you want suggestion from me then i suggest you to drink green tea if you have crossed 40 because with this method you no need to do extra workouts so i think this is the best solution for all of them who have crossed 40.
Ridiculous.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Oh dont get me wrong i do love shopping for cute clothes but i hate when later on i cant fit into them anymore. Instead of buying fat clothes id simply rather lose weight so i can fit back into my skinny items.

Its amazing how much this counting calories does for you. Ive been eating all day (salads, fruits, etc) and im at only half of my recommended calorie intake. I really have no desire to eat anything but if hunger pangs hit i'll grab a handful of peanuts. I'll do a walk here in a bit (about 3 miles). Im expecting to see further weight reduction tomorrow (probably a pound or 2).
I yo-yo dieted for most of my adult life - it is supposed to be quite hard on the body. When I removed the foods from my kitchen that had always called to me throughout the day (and night) - sweets, chips, junk food, high-fat processed foods - and started eating as much as possible a whole, fresh food diet - that is when I lost all the weight, gave alllll the fat clothes away (2 years ago) and have never gone beyond a size 2/4....I exercise now every day - pilates, hiking, yoga, weights - I am rarely tired - my day is full and so is my energy level....I almost 64.

I don't count calories but I do control portion size - I eat lots of raw nuts, avocado, hummus, beans, legumes (little if no oil or butter) -all pretty caloric and some high in fat but I don't gain weight....tons of raw and cooked veggies, lean protein - this, along with exercise and ridding your house of foods that cause you to over-indulge is the key to stopping the yo-yo dieting, giving away your fat clothes and settling into a clothing size that you will wear for years.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if this is redundant.

What has worked for me is the combination of wearing a FitBit
http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireles...9ZPF2AFH54AZZG

along with inputting everything I eat, via My Fitness Pal (a free app/website).
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

The FitBit & MFP "talk" to each other, so that at any time of the day, I can see my calories in vs calories spent. As long as I keep my calories at approximately negative 700 per day, I'm losing my goal of 1 1/2 pounds per week.

However you do it (and it does take effort and discipline) it all comes down to calories in/calories out. No way around that.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Ridiculous.
No I've heard others raving about it as the best way to lose weight but it didn't work for me. Obviously you don't just drink green tea--you have to do all the other stuff too, but for some it might get that stubborn weight moving. Green tea didn't do it for me, but the vinegar may have helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss