Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I disagree with this. IF someone is fat/obese I believe they DO need to give up things. Just like if someone is diagnosed with lung cancer, they should give up smoking, not just "cut back a bit". Or if someone is diagnosed with liver disease, they should stop consuming alcohol, not just "limit their drinking to only a cocktail or two per day". If a person is fat, they need to give up eating the foods that are horrible to them like cake, sugars, soda, ice cream, deserts, etc. If they feel "deprived" then they should look into visiting a mental health provider because they are looney in the head.

Knowledge is always key, then application of that knowledge is where success will be achieved.
There are obese people who don't eat those things in the first place. For them, your advice makes zero sense at all. The #1 issue with obese people, is that they OVEREAT whatever it is they're eating. Afterall, if we followed your advice for random obese person #27:

Well he doesn't eat any sweets at all, ever. No cakes, no cookies, twinkies, sugars, sodas, ice creams, desserts. He DOES, however, eat way too many steak and cheese subs.

So he eliminates all steak and cheese subs from his diet, and because that used to be his dinner, he now needs something to replace it. So he replaces it with half a fried chicken, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes with gravy. He gains another 2 pounds. How is this possible? He did exactly what you said he should do - he eliminated, 100%, the thing that was horrible for him.

The solution is to stop overeating - not to stop eating. Stop eating TOO MUCH of things. Not stop eating any at all. They have to learn what constitutes "too much" and how to differentiate it with "enough," and stick with it. There exists no food that anyone should have to eliminate entirely, unless they have a medical reason to eliminate that specific thing. For everyone else, the key is knowing ones' limits and sticking with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 01:51 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yoda was a fat ass.

I disagree. White processed sugar and fructose corn syrup and transfat and white processed flour are junk and exist in most of the garbage you find in grocery stores these days.

You gotta look for healthy food these days.
I said to eat whole fresh foods which is exactly what they are. No worries about corn syrup. A little white sugar is not going to harm anyone as long as it is in small doses. A much harder thing to do is to live your life full of restrictions.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:39 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are obese people who don't eat those things in the first place. For them, your advice makes zero sense at all. .
Wrong. The overwhelming majority of fat people eat fattening sugary foods. The fat person who eats healthy food is about as rare as sight as a Bigfoot family taking pictures on the Vegas strip with Tony Bennet and Carrot Top. They eat crappy foods (sodas, chips, fast food, sugary desserts, cookies, ice cream, etc.) AND they overeat those things that is why they are fat.

There are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very few obese people in the US who don't eat those things so your argument is moot and invalid. The ones who refrain from eating crap are the ones who are smart and on the path to bettering themselves, their health, and their lives. How many fatties you know on facebook? Notice how they are always posting pics, liking posts, and pinning instagram stuff of ice cream, cakes, pies, etc.? Because that is what they eat.

Stop eating that junk and the weight WILL come off with exercise.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
The simplest way to lose weight at any age is through a sensible and healthy diet. The problem with most people is that that eat way too much high-calorie, low-nutrient foods. Personally, I am disappointed when I get on the scale and weigh less than I did the previous day. My goal is to maintain my current weight while increasing overall fitness and strength levels. Some of this comes down to genetics. Losing weight is easier for some folks than others, just like everything else.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
My hubby and I are over 60 and each just lost 40 pounds. I removed all baking and threw away my flour. I only shop from the outside edges of the grocery and dont eat any processed food. We eat a lot of baby spinach and do not have seconds.

We still eat out but are very selective and eat at places that cook fresh food and so not serve huge portions. Eat better food and eat less.

Every morning I have yoghurt with my own homemade granola and fruit. My hubby eats a bowl of spinach with cooked ground turkey, egg and salsa. He likes more protein.

We are trying more veggies and tomorrow I am making an asparagus soup with fresh leek and asparagus. Instead of sour cream, I am using greek yoghurt.

We each upped our exercise and go about 5 times a week for 1 to 2 hours.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are obese people who don't eat those things in the first place. For them, your advice makes zero sense at all. The #1 issue with obese people, is that they OVEREAT whatever it is they're eating. Afterall, if we followed your advice for random obese person #27:

Well he doesn't eat any sweets at all, ever. No cakes, no cookies, twinkies, sugars, sodas, ice creams, desserts. He DOES, however, eat way too many steak and cheese subs.

So he eliminates all steak and cheese subs from his diet, and because that used to be his dinner, he now needs something to replace it. So he replaces it with half a fried chicken, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes with gravy. He gains another 2 pounds. How is this possible? He did exactly what you said he should do - he eliminated, 100%, the thing that was horrible for him.

The solution is to stop overeating - not to stop eating. Stop eating TOO MUCH of things. Not stop eating any at all. They have to learn what constitutes "too much" and how to differentiate it with "enough," and stick with it. There exists no food that anyone should have to eliminate entirely, unless they have a medical reason to eliminate that specific thing. For everyone else, the key is knowing ones' limits and sticking with them.
I see these people who argue the at you need to eliminate a food group to lose weight. I then have to ask, how did I manage to shed 90 pounds, continue to keep the weight off. I didn't eliminate any one food or group. Telling someone they can't have something only makes one crave it more.

With that in mind, you want a burger? Yes. Ok, instead of your 3/4 pounder you have a 3 oz made with 90% lean? That works. I have my burger, I have a smaller portion with less fat. Hmmm. That could work. It does work. Deprivation never works as a long term solution.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Wrong. The overwhelming majority of fat people eat fattening sugary foods. The fat person who eats healthy food is about as rare as sight as a Bigfoot family taking pictures on the Vegas strip with Tony Bennet and Carrot Top. They eat crappy foods (sodas, chips, fast food, sugary desserts, cookies, ice cream, etc.) AND they overeat those things that is why they are fat.

There are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very few obese people in the US who don't eat those things so your argument is moot and invalid. The ones who refrain from eating crap are the ones who are smart and on the path to bettering themselves, their health, and their lives. How many fatties you know on facebook? Notice how they are always posting pics, liking posts, and pinning instagram stuff of ice cream, cakes, pies, etc.? Because that is what they eat.

Stop eating that junk and the weight WILL come off with exercise.
I eat junk, and the weight came off with reducing junk, increasing whole foods, and exercise. In fact, MOST people who lose weight -successfully- and gain fitness, do so by reducing junk, increasing whole foods, and exercise.

A bite of cheesecake isn't "fattening." A slice, however, is. A soda is not fattening. A 1-liter bottle every day, however, is. A single-serving sized bag of potato chips is not fattening. A 5-ounce bag three times a week, however, is.

Foods are not fattening. OVERCONSUMPTION of foods is fattening.

The vast majority of people who are NOT obese - DO eat those foods you insist are fattening. What makes them different from the people who eat the same foods and get obese? A few things:

1) genetics plays a part. It's not a deciding factor, but it does enter into the equation.
2) OVERconsumption, proportionate to an individual person's metabolism. If your body metabolizes 2000 calories less efficiently than my body metabolizes it, then you WILL gain more weight than I do, when we both eat 2000 calories worth of the same foods. So you will simply need to eat less of it. You can still eat it - just less.
3) Lack of exercise. If I need 1200 calories of food to maintain a no-loss, no-gain, just by waking up and moving to the couch, and not doing anything all day long - and I eat 1500 calories and do the same thing - I WILL gain weight. However, if I eat 1500 calories, and add enough exercise to burn 300 calories, I will continue to maintain that no-loss/no-gain status. I can get that 300 calories burned by standing up and pacing the living room for 12 hours, instead of sitting on the couch for 12 hours. It's not that difficult.

If eating a whole slice of cheesecake, a 5-ounce bag of chips, 2 litres of coca cola, and a half a fried chicken every single day, 7 days a week, and having zero exercise routine at all makes you gain 20 pounds a month...

Then eating a BITE of cheesecake, a single-serving sized bag of chips, 1 8-ounce glass of cola, and a chicken breast with the skin peeled off only once a week, and eating salads, fish, and drinking water the rest of the week, and walking around the block for 30 minutes per week, will make you LOSE weight. But you're still able to eat cheesecake, chips, fried chicken, and drink soda.

It's basic math and basic physics. It's also nothing new, and millions of people who are NOT obese, are following this general guideline every day.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My hubby and I are over 60 and each just lost 40 pounds. I removed all baking and threw away my flour. I only shop from the outside edges of the grocery and dont eat any processed food. We eat a lot of baby spinach and do not have seconds.

We still eat out but are very selective and eat at places that cook fresh food and so not serve huge portions. Eat better food and eat less.

Every morning I have yoghurt with my own homemade granola and fruit. My hubby eats a bowl of spinach with cooked ground turkey, egg and salsa. He likes more protein.

We are trying more veggies and tomorrow I am making an asparagus soup with fresh leek and asparagus. Instead of sour cream, I am using greek yoghurt.

We each upped our exercise and go about 5 times a week for 1 to 2 hours.
The outside edges of our supermarket:

The bakery, the hot bar, the deli, the pizza station. That's one wall. Back wall: fish, meat, prepared processed deli stuff (like Snackables for kids and hotdogs and bacon), dairy. Front wall = all cash registers, but the end caps always have the featured sales items, like pastas and cheap spaghetti sauces and sodas. The other side-wall: more dairy, processed "organic" and vegetarian frozen foods (like the frozen veggie burgers with enough sodium to give an otherwise healthy person a stroke), and ice cream.

I'm thinking, if I was trying to be more conscious of my weight, the outer edges are probably not going to provide any of the top 10 preferred items on my grocery list.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
You go to the wrong grocery stores. At our Meijers, a midwest chain, outside edge is as follows:

Fruits and vegetables, meat and shellfish, dairy, and eggs. No pizza or deli station and the bakery is on an inside area. All the frozen food is inside aisles. The outside edge is not perfect but most everything unprocessed by the big food companies can be found there.

So I get fruit, vegetables, unprocessed protein, dairy, and eggs by sticking to the outside edges. When I need something else, it is on my list and that is all I get. There is rarely anything on an inside aisle worth eating. I do get old fashioned rolled oats, salsa, and coffee on inside aisles.

Whole Foods is another story. I will eat out of their deli case since each salad has all the ingredients listed and I can get plain baked salmon and roasted vegetables. I will treat myself to their bread since it is lower in chemical additives but we limit bread to a small artisian loaf once a month or so. Do have to avoid the "sweet" area.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
You go to the wrong grocery stores. At our Meijers, a midwest chain, outside edge is as follows:

Fruits and vegetables, meat and shellfish, dairy, and eggs. No pizza or deli station and the bakery is on an inside area. All the frozen food is inside aisles. The outside edge is not perfect but most everything unprocessed by the big food companies can be found there.

So I get fruit, vegetables, unprocessed protein, dairy, and eggs by sticking to the outside edges. When I need something else, it is on my list and that is all I get. There is rarely anything on an inside aisle worth eating. I do get old fashioned rolled oats, salsa, and coffee on inside aisles.

Whole Foods is another story. I will eat out of their deli case since each salad has all the ingredients listed and I can get plain baked salmon and roasted vegetables. I will treat myself to their bread since it is lower in chemical additives but we limit bread to a small artisian loaf once a month or so. Do have to avoid the "sweet" area.
I shop at Meijers too - great store. Whole Foods - I stick to the fruits and vegetables which are on the outside....and the aisle with bulk bins for nuts and seeds, cocoa nibs, etc. Once in a while their non-GMO corn tortillas - also on the perimeter of the store.

When you do without sugary foods, junk foods, etc. for several months, you eventually lose your taste for the stuff. I don't miss it and I'm so happy to have finally discovered how to lose weight and keep it off by eliminating those foods that I have historically over-eaten - the ones that call to me, that I simply can't stay away from if they are in the house - they are no longer a part of the foods that I desire or consume...simple.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-01-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss