Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,483,394 times

Advertisements

Luckyd,
Where is there unbiased research regarding all this.....blood glucose levels, calories vs carbs vs
fats vs whole grains vs protien vs glycemic levels?
Who doesn't want their "eyes opened"?

Proof seems to me is in the pudding.
The South Beach Diet is great..as is the Med,, the low sugar, the low carb, the this and the that....
Where is this unbiased info you speak of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,095 times
There is lots of it if you want to look it up. And low carb works for a lot of people, there is no doubt. But the high fat, high protein diets are hard on kidney's, liver, and gall bladders.
The biggest problem with low carb diets is that they are hard to stay on for a significant period of time. People will eventually go back to eating more carbs and they will end up back at square one. I am saying most people, not all people. I have known at least 20 people if not more, that have done Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, etc. None of them are still following those plans. None of them are terribly overweight, well a few of them are, and some just adapted eating a variety of whole foods and look great now.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 AM

259 posts, read 671,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I seriously doubt its how we are supposed to eat. Just because someone writes a book does not make them an authority. If its how people are supposed to eat then why do most people who attempt low carb end up failing.

Carbs are not the enemy. Junk food, highly processed simple carb crap is. Nothing bad at all, and everything good eating whole grains. Low carb, high protein is just not that good for ones body.
Well, he's a cardiologist who came from a family where all the males died before 50 of heart failure. His quest was to identify by hormone and ecosiniod production what foods/eating patterns were healthiest for your heart. He's now in his 60's with a healthy heart. Will it work for you? maybe, but you'd have to read the book, wouldn't you?

Quote:
So you love low carb. Great! It works for some. Not so easy to do in the long run. Very few keep it up for more than a year or two, if even that.
I've been eating paleo since 2009. The thing I like best about it is the simplicity and never feeling hungry. Of course, losing over fifty pounds was nice too. I like my weight in the mid 170's, much nicer for mountain climbing. I can hike all day without my feet and knees getting sore.

Done any sprinting lately? Chasing my herding dogs in grassy fields is another one of my pleasures. The dogs like it too.

Last edited by The Help Desk; 08-30-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM

90 posts, read 101,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I mean why on earth does cutting out mutigrain toast or an apple, even, make my
body feel so much younger and bouncey?

I am feeling great after a week with no carbs...uh oh, steamed some cauliflower
1 day, lol...might have gotten 4 grams that day...oops.

Each day I lose maybe 4- 9 ounces...luv it. I can live with that.
I'm never hungry and hardly finish a plate of whatever.
I don't really care if I lose the 7 more pounds.

Really? Carbs are that bad?
Seems it, if I feel THIS great...every single day for a week now.

All my organs are fine, brain, gall bladder, kidneys, heart, tummy, intestines...
I was concerned about all of them...but they are fine.

Thanx
Atkins is not sustainable. You are probably gluten-intolerant and so many symptoms like wheat belly, sluggishness, etc. are eliminated. That doesn't mean that you should eat all that protein!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Well, he's a cardiologist who came from a family where all the males died before 50 of heart failure. His quest was to identify by hormone and ecosiniod production what foods/eating patterns were healthiest for your heart. He's now in his 60's with a healthy heart. Will it work for you? maybe, but you'd have to read the book, wouldn't you?

I've been eating paleo since 2009. The thing I like best about it is the simplicity and never feeling hungry. Of course, losing over fifty pounds was nice too. I like my weight in the mid 170's, much nicer for mountain climbing. I can hike all day without my feet and knees getting sore.

Done any sprinting lately? Chasing my herding dogs in grassy fields is another one of my pleasures. The dogs like it too.
So it works for you, great! Like I said it does work for some, but for most it is not sustainable. 6 years ago I lost 40 lbs by eating a variety of whole foods. Lost of veggies, whole grains and lean meats, fish and healthy fats. I work out a lot, swim, hike, HIIT training, done a few triathlons. So its really a matter of what works for the individual.
And again, LOTS of doctors write books. Dean Ornish is a cardiologist and recommends a very low fat, mostly vegetarian diet. And there are hosts of other well respected doctors writing about lots of different ways to eat.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,889,306 times
If I remember correctly, Atkins is also a high-fat diet. I'm not sure that's such a good thing. And in your list of things that are "fine," I saw no mention of your bones which happen to lose calcium like crazy on a high-protein diet.

In other words, it's very hard and not nutritionally sound for people to exclude entire food groups in order to lose weight. Moderation is the key.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM

17,580 posts, read 39,278,963 times
I'm no doctor and I don't play one on TV. I would never advocate any specific diet to anyone. My own PERSONAL belief, after reading book after book written by doctors and/or diet gurus with no two of them agreeing on anything is this:

For myself, I find that the best and most sustainable healthy approach is to eat moderate carbs (150 per day) with smaller amounts of proteins and fats. As a Type 2 diabetic I have been playing with my diet over and over. The low carb high fat that is so often recommended by the diabetic crowd just does not work for me - I feel AWFUL and can't stick to it. Rather, I include carbs, but small amounts of whole grains which I find very filling, sourdough bread (often home made by me) and even a few wafer cookies or piece of chocolate after dinners. I include some fruit each day. Fats come from cheese, butter and nuts. Proteins are mostly from seafood, and also chicken and fish. I watch my portions and exercise a lot. I could stand to lose 15 pounds but don't obsess over it, health is my priority. All of my numbers are coming down on this diet - glucose, cholesterol, etc. so seems I'm doing something right FOR ME.

Anyway, glad you are feeling great on your new diet OP. I suspect part of it is due to eliminating some of the grains that were possibly causing you some issues before. There are certain foods that are real "bloaters", my husband blows up like a balloon if he consumes yeasty breads or beer.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I agree but even better look into carb cycling that's the real bullet to fat loss and not scale weight loss. Btw, which Hepburn A, or K???
Sorry didn't see this, "K".

I will look into carb cyling, thank you.
It will be 2 weeks Sunday...the wonder of this very low carb thing is I'm never
hungry, which is so amazing in the evening...seeing movies with wine and food.
Doesn't phase me....what a change!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If I remember correctly, Atkins is also a high-fat diet. I'm not sure that's such a good thing. And in your list of things that are "fine," I saw no mention of your bones which happen to lose calcium like crazy on a high-protein diet.

In other words, it's very hard and not nutritionally sound for people to exclude entire food groups in order to lose weight. Moderation is the key.
Hmm, calcium loss, eh?
Eating plenty of cheese...diluting heavy cream with water as a milk substitute,
Eating dark green leafies and broccoli outta the garden...and a good Multi.
I'll check into this tho, thank you...and the fats are not in the meats...but in olive oil for me...
And toasted sesame oil, and cheese of course as I mentioned. A liitle in 1~2 eggs a day.
So I hope I'm ok.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM

22,690 posts, read 24,713,753 times
Quote:
That is great that you like the diet after a week in. Get back to us in 3 months and tell us how you are doing.
Atkins is notoriously hard to stay on for any significant period of time. Thats not to say that some do quite well, but it is a very small percentage.

All diets are hard to stick with.

On Atkins, if you have an occasional cheat meal....it ain't the end of the world.

Just like any other way-of-eating, with Atkins, you have a cheat....then get right back on plan....not that hard of a concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss