Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,850,366 times

Advertisements

If rice is such an "empty calorie" why does most of the world use it as a major staple of their diets? Well over half of the worlds population use rice as a staple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,408,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So many people are uninformed about the low-carb way of life ... *sigh*

Low-carb is not depriving your body of anything. You're still eating carbs; you're not over-consuming grains, especially refined grains, and sugars.

My body gets plenty of carbs (I average about 50-75 grams per day) from oatmeal -- the only grain that doesn't trigger cravings for me -- or a whole-wheat English muffin, one or 1 1/2 servings of fruit, and vegetables. Refined wheat is an occasional treat -- I'm certainly not going to beat myself up over a piece of pizza every couple of weeks or so -- and rice is nothing but empty calories. I don't need them.

If you were not eating vegetables on a low-carb diet, you weren't doing it right.
I had not made it to the level where you eat vegetables. It was a no carb diet, not a low carb diet. I ate only meats and fish as well as eggs. Nothing else.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,365,804 times
For a moderate low carb diet, what is the average number of grams of carbs one can consume?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,444,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I seriously doubt its how we are supposed to eat. Just because someone writes a book does not make them an authority. If its how people are supposed to eat then why do most people who attempt low carb end up failing.

Carbs are not the enemy. Junk food, highly processed simple carb crap is. Nothing bad at all, and everything good eating whole grains. Low carb, high protein is just not that good for ones body.
I'm not trying to be rude here, really...but I felt a discrepancy in your post.
If someone "just writes a bk"...who happens to be an MD with thousands of
patients, hours of research like testing their blood....they r not an authority...

However,we are supposed to believe you that "low carb, hi pro is just not that
good for one's body".

This doesn't ring true for me....with all due respect...can u sight any research on this?
The doctors that wrote Protein Power have something to say about this I would think, also.
The Epiloque in Protein Power is quite informative on this if no one has time
to read the whole book.

The MD's credentials are also noted in both Books...Atkins and PP.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,444,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
For a moderate low carb diet, what is the average number of grams of carbs one can consume?
I guess after a week or 2 only of no or a couple of carbs...you increase by
5 gram increments....usually you level off at 40~60 daily carbs to maintain your weight....
I would imagine you could have lots more if you were exercising.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I guess after a week or 2 only of no or a couple of carbs...you increase by
5 gram increments....usually you level off at 40~60 daily carbs to maintain your weight....
I would imagine you could have lots more if you were exercising.
I think you're right about what Atkins considers moderate. It's been a while since I read the book.

I vaguely recall reading (I believe on Mark's Daily Apple site) that the average American diet was somewhere in the vicinity of 300gr+ of carbs per day. A moderate carb diet would be in the range of 70-120. Low carb would be under that, and very low carb under 20, I think.

But that's just somebody's opinion. I don't know if there is an "official" range.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm not trying to be rude here, really...but I felt a discrepancy in your post.
If someone "just writes a bk"...who happens to be an MD with thousands of
patients, hours of research like testing their blood....they r not an authority...

However,we are supposed to believe you that "low carb, hi pro is just not that
good for one's body".

This doesn't ring true for me....with all due respect...can u sight any research on this?
The doctors that wrote Protein Power have something to say about this I would think, also.
The Epiloque in Protein Power is quite informative on this if no one has time
to read the whole book.

The MD's credentials are also noted in both Books...Atkins and PP.

Lots of MD's write about diets. They all have differing viewpoints. The only one they all have in common is that they want to sell as many books as possible.
So you love low carb. Great! It works for some. Not so easy to do in the long run. Very few keep it up for more than a year or two, if even that. Stick with what you like, but really, you should try some unbiased research. It might be eye opening.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,365,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think you're right about what Atkins considers moderate. It's been a while since I read the book.

I vaguely recall reading (I believe on Mark's Daily Apple site) that the average American diet was somewhere in the vicinity of 300gr+ of carbs per day. A moderate carb diet would be in the range of 70-120. Low carb would be under that, and very low carb under 20, I think.

But that's just somebody's opinion. I don't know if there is an "official" range.
Thanks! Although losing weight would be great, I'm just trying to lower my blood sugar. I've cut way back on carbs but still have around 40-100 each day. I hate it, because I do love my starches. Sweets are not a problem for me, but starches are.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,829,271 times
Quote:
Atkins is notoriously hard to stay on for any significant period of time. Thats not to say that some do quite well, but it is a very small percentage.
I agree with this that it is hard to maintain. I lost quite a lot of weight on it one time but then took a trip to Italy and had lost my focus when I got back so the whole thing went right back on. A couple of years later I stopped eating sweets--just that and nothing else and lost quite an amount of weight that way and though I've gained about 10 lbs back, I'm still 20 lbs lighter even though I still eat sweets--just not as much.

Quote:
If its how people are supposed to eat then why do most people who attempt low carb end up failing.

Carbs are not the enemy. Junk food, highly processed simple carb crap is. Nothing bad at all, and everything good eating whole grains. Low carb, high protein is just not that good for ones body.
I believe they fail b/c high carb is ingrained in our culture and carbs are cheap. I know you don't go to those all-you-can-eat type places but if you did you'd know that over 90% of the food is high carb. Also, as a juvenile diabetic nurse mourned to me one time--carbs are so easy! You can just grab a box of crackers or a snack cake or a piece of bread, but with meat you've got to go home and cook it or pay premium for it in a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
If rice is such an "empty calorie" why does most of the world use it as a major staple of their diets? Well over half of the worlds population use rice as a staple.
Again cheap, reliable, and easy. Ingrained into the culture. Proteins are much more labor intensive in every way.

Quote:
I'm thinking under 100 gms carbs/day but keeping veggies in the diet and dropping the grains. Also look for low glycemic fruits and veggies. Apparently watermelon has more sugar than candy.

Quote:
Thanks! Although losing weight would be great, I'm just trying to lower my blood sugar. I've cut way back on carbs but still have around 40-100 each day. I hate it, because I do love my starches. Sweets are not a problem for me, but starches are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Low carb means no insulin cycling, which is why it feels so good. It's how we're supposed to eat.
Well I think we were made that way. We're omnivorous but for most of human prehistory we ate meat b/c much of it was spent in the ice ages. It does seem as if a lot of people have blood sugar levels that are whack-a-doo in this society and junk food and easy carbs must surely have a lot to do with that but also lower nutrition b/c I remember people ate a lot of sugar when I was growing up too, but now they're just getting bigger and bigger.

And yes, anything that keeps your blood sugar under tight control has got to be better for your health than having it all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So Low-carb is not depriving your body of anything. You're still eating carbs; you're not over-consuming grains, especially refined grains, and sugars.

My body gets plenty of carbs (I average about 50-75 grams per day) from oatmeal -- the only grain that doesn't trigger cravings for me -- or a whole-wheat English muffin, one or 1 1/2 servings of fruit, and vegetables. Refined wheat is an occasional treat -- I'm certainly not going to beat myself up over a piece of pizza every couple of weeks or so -- and rice is nothing but empty calories. I don't need them.

If you were not eating vegetables on a low-carb diet, you weren't doing it right.
What I've found to be true for myself is that I'm better off skipping breakfast. I love oatmeal but any carbs early in the day will leave me hungry well before lunchtime and I get way hungrier after having eaten breakfast than if I skip it. I don't even miss it at all.

My thought is this and it's kind of insane though. What if you had someone who has really bad sugar levels and maybe even just dx'ed diabetic and they don't want to take the meds. They must lose weight right away and they've got to turn that blood sugar train around but they've been having trouble losing weight. What if they were to go on an extremely low carb diet for at least a few days even if they plan to lose it later by counting cals? Atkins did mention that if you're really having trouble, just eat cream cheese or macadamia nuts for a couple of days but my thought is coconut oil since it has ketogenic properties. I suppose it could make you sick though by shocking your body. Well I wasn't planning on doing this but I have a friend who is desperate to lose 100 lbs and she isn't diabetic but her blood sugar isn't good and she swears she eats only a little. I'm trying to get her to journal. So that thought was hypothetical.

So my diet is not low carb though I totally believe it's better for you. I log into my fitness pal though and try to keep carbs about 100 gms lower than what is allowed--it's all I can do these days since I have no time to cook.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,663,329 times
Of course low, steady levels of insulin feel good. You don't have to have pathological sugar levels to notice the feel-ousy roller coaster after eating a stack of pancakes with syrup and a glass of OJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss