Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM

259 posts, read 670,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Me, too! The carbs, (especially simple carbs like pasta, white rice, potatoes) spike your blood sugar, then you crash, making you hungry again very soon. The protein/vegetable combo doesn't do that...key is healthy fats...

Very good! ANY time we insulin cycle, our body stores visceral fat. We need to avoid insulin cycling. Fats fuel our 'full' signal via our leptin cycle. We must get that cycle healthy so our bodies will self-regulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Quick isn't necessarily the key, but I think your goal is reasonable and can be achieved. I cut fifty pounds recently, but I spent three years doing it. Keep up the walking and ditch the carbs; wheat, pasta, potatoes, oats, etc.

Do the paleo thing. It's easy and it works. Best thing is no calorie counting and no hunger, plus it maximizes your fat burning, which is what we're MEANT to do. Our bodies store fat because they're supposed to burn fat. Excess carbs thwart this process. If you would like some personal guidance, feel free to PM me.

How does bacon, eggs and cantaloupe for breakfast sound?
less time? Cottage cheese and strawberries.

As for Charles, unfortunately he is antagonistic because he cannot manage his own weight. Three other posters in this thread are 'in the know' for losing weight and keeping it off. Congrats, and rep points for you all.
The Paleo diet is not the answer. Please do some research using non biased sources. You will find that it not only is it not a sustainable diet, but its just not good for you either.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM

7,143 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The Paleo diet is not the answer. Please do some research using non biased sources. You will find that it not only is it not a sustainable diet, but its just not good for you either.
I disagree. Eating the recommended food pyramid, emphasizing grains, has resulted in our citizens being plagued by obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

Atkins, Paleo, etc. ways of eating help eliminate the Metabolic Syndrome caused by a grain-centered diet.

Read Taubes' book Why We Get Fat for the science and the studies that prove a grain-centric diet is deadly to us.

And if you disagree, how do you recommend we eat that's proven by studies to be effective in avoiding the Metabolic Syndrome?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I disagree. Eating the recommended food pyramid, emphasizing grains, has resulted in our citizens being plagued by obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

Atkins, Paleo, etc. ways of eating help eliminate the Metabolic Syndrome caused by a grain-centered diet.

Read Taubes' book Why We Get Fat for the science and the studies that prove a grain-centric diet is deadly to us.

And if you disagree, how do you recommend we eat that's proven by studies to be effective in avoiding the Metabolic Syndrome?
Again, find unbiased sources, not Taubes, and do some real research. And just because one does not do Low Carb does not automatically mean they are consuming tons of grain products.
The reason we are so overweight is due to the sheer amounts of CALORIES people are consuming.

If the Paleo thing works for you fine, but do not be surprised if you end up with other health issues because of it.
The healthiest diet is one that includes ALL food groups. Whole, fresh foods, good oils, lean proteins, lots of plant based foods, legumes, whole grains and sugar in moderation.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,133 times
Diet. I always found that I could lose weight down to maybe 30 pounds overweight just by dieting but I have to exercise to get closer to a healthy weight. So really, you need to do both but if you had to pick one, it should be diet. You can obliterate the results of exercise through a minute or two of eating, easily.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya92 View Post
diet and exercise you have to work on both. only diet or only exercise wont help, i will share my experience that when i started my workout in which i used to do cardio and used to have lot of water and early morning exercise is best. because you are empty stomach and having warm water helps you to be very healthy, the fatty food which you eat will get dissolved. its nothing of like not eating things completely stopping, its like if you eat one day the next day you have to balance your body by skipping meals and having fruits. and exercise and diet brings results.
Warm water will dissolve the fat you eat? Now that is a new one.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Again, find unbiased sources, not Taubes, and do some real research. And just because one does not do Low Carb does not automatically mean they are consuming tons of grain products.
The reason we are so overweight is due to the sheer amounts of CALORIES people are consuming.

If the Paleo thing works for you fine, but do not be surprised if you end up with other health issues because of it.
The healthiest diet is one that includes ALL food groups. Whole, fresh foods, good oils, lean proteins, lots of plant based foods, legumes, whole grains and sugar in moderation.
This is all you need to know. Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM

170 posts, read 355,979 times
Quote:
because of it.
Why in moderation, because they're bad for you? You certainly don't need to eat protein in moderation.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I am doing the Dukan diet. Easier for me to stay on than Paleo. And I feel fuller.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjordan View Post
Why in moderation, because they're bad for you? You certainly don't need to eat protein in moderation.
Well I do not want to eat a lot of protein. No need to. The body can only process so much at a time. I would rather eat a full selection of foods than pig out on protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss