Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,846,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thank you for the input. Good comment

Can I start doing core/ab exercises now or wait til i reduce some body fat?
Do them now. Strengthening your core which includes your whole torso front and back will enable you to perform better on your other exercises and give you balance and will help keep you from getting injured. Do not just focus on your abs alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,677,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post

btw, 8% is REALLY low. Isn't that competition level body fat?
Thank you. lol, I am not sure. I just want abs for now, so I know the body fat needs to come down.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

A boiled egg is fine, but you won't get as much *food* in a single boiled egg, as you will in a 1-whole + 1-white omelet with veggies and cheese in it. You won't be as full, and you'll get less nutrients. If you want, you could make a little side of veggies, with sauteed mushrooms (in a *tiny* amount of butter) and onions, maybe a palmful of peas in there too, just enough to fill a couple of shotglasses (or half a pudding cup).

8% body fat can be unhealthy if you're relying only on advice from strangers on an internet forum to get there. You should really check with a professional trainer, in real life, away from the computer, at a gym. They can help monitor your workouts and dietary intake to ensure that you're doing it right, rather than haphazardly and ending up in the hospital or otherwise failing miserably to hit your mark.
Thanks for the advice. 8% did come from some muscle building planning website. I will talk to trainer at local gym and just focus on eating healthy for now, baby steps! I will try the omelet.

Really good advice, thank you

Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,856,738 times
Ah you posted again saying that your focus isn't to lose fat, it's to gain abs, and you (mistakenly) say that you know you have to lose fat in order to gain abs. This explains some of your dilemma.

Abs are muscle. Fat is fat. The two are not the same, and one doesn't turn into the other. If you want definition in your abs, you have to exercise them. Excercising the muscles around the stomach area = abs.

If you have a layer of fat on top of the abs, you have to work on your dietary intake, specifically sugar and starch. Eating properly = less fat.

If you lack strong abdominal muscles AND have a layer of fat covering them, then you need to do both: reducing starch and sugar, AND building up your muscles through exercise.

Once you achieve one, you will still need to maintain it. Once you achieve both, you'll need to maintain both.

Gain abs, lose fat - all part of a journey. But the journey doesn't end at a successful achievement of a goal. Once you get abs and lose fat, you'll be able to add *some* sugars and starches, and you'll be able to ease up *somewhat* on the muscle building. But you will always have to be careful of your sugar/starch intake, and you'll always have to do some kind of "core" exercise (abdominals, sides, back, basically all your torso muscles) in order to keep the new look.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ah you posted again saying that your focus isn't to lose fat, it's to gain abs, and you (mistakenly) say that you know you have to lose fat in order to gain abs. This explains some of your dilemma.

Abs are muscle. Fat is fat. The two are not the same, and one doesn't turn into the other. If you want definition in your abs, you have to exercise them. Excercising the muscles around the stomach area = abs.

If you have a layer of fat on top of the abs, you have to work on your dietary intake, specifically sugar and starch. Eating properly = less fat.

If you lack strong abdominal muscles AND have a layer of fat covering them, then you need to do both: reducing starch and sugar, AND building up your muscles through exercise.

Once you achieve one, you will still need to maintain it. Once you achieve both, you'll need to maintain both.

Gain abs, lose fat - all part of a journey. But the journey doesn't end at a successful achievement of a goal. Once you get abs and lose fat, you'll be able to add *some* sugars and starches, and you'll be able to ease up *somewhat* on the muscle building. But you will always have to be careful of your sugar/starch intake, and you'll always have to do some kind of "core" exercise (abdominals, sides, back, basically all your torso muscles) in order to keep the new look.
Thank you so much. Its making sense. In a nutshell I need to do both, cause I have some fat in my stomach, and currently not doing abs exercises.

I join myfitnesspal to track my low calorie diet, and they website suggest my sugar intake does not exceed 34g per day. Now I understand why you suggest no drinking fruit juice. They have lots of sugar.

Does 34g per sound reasonable or do you suggest no sugar per day or even less than 34g?

Thank you

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM

I've had success using myfitnesspal as a guideline to help me re-structure my eating habits. I'd stick to their recommendations at least to start with, give it a couple of weeks to see if you're feeling good, looking better or worse or the same, etc. You'd be surprised how much sugar there is in what you eat.

I would never recommend *no* sugar. Even doctors don't recommend it, unless there's some significant medical reason to do so.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Thank you.

Yes so far myfitnesspal is working good. It not only shows me goals for calorie intake but for sugar, protein, soduim, fat as well.

Yes, so far for two days, I have exceeded the sugar intake. lol. So I need to work on this part for sugar intake. It takes time. But atleast I have plan now.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM

I think I had a tough time getting the numbers "right" on myfitnesspal. I cut down on starch and sugar, resulting in a reduction in overall carbs. I added protein, and was working out, but at the end of the day, I was still short on calories. I even tried to add a little more fats. But I kept getting that "you're not consuming enough calories to reach your target weight" or whatever that message is.

It's not easy learning how to maintain a healthy balance of carbs, proteins, fats. But once you learn how to juggle the nutrients efficiently, you discover there are TONS of options that allow you to eat pretty much anything you want, as long as you respect portion sizes, and as long as you continue to exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss