Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 01:30 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,576,572 times

Advertisements

My big problem area is my fat stomach. It has gotten WAY out of hand. It's not from drinking beer, because I'm not a drinker. I normally don't overeat either. I think the root cause lies in my genetics, because my mother always had the same poochy belly.
It's frustrating. My stomach doesn't even match the rest of my body! I have relatively little body fat on my limbs, butt, or other areas. I'm at a comfortable weight, and I don't really need to lose inches elsewhere. I just need to get rid of this big stomach!
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on supplements or diets that target fat in this area? Will I have to get lipo? I'm open to all ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,697,623 times
You may, indeed, be a 'victim' of your genetic inheritance...but just in case you eat a lot of simple carbs (baked goods, white bread, cookies, cake, white rice, candy and such, know they have been implicated in weight gain (beer belly doesn't necessarily come from beer, but form a diet high in simple carbs).

Physical trainers will tell you it's very difficult to spot reduce a certain area of your body. If you do consider liposuction, won't the weight re-appear in the same area due to your genetics?

You can do body and weight training to firm up the underlying muscles in your abdomen to make it less jiggly.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM

469 posts, read 579,905 times
If you are not overweight, just over-fat then you need to concentrate on weight training with cardio on the side. You could do a series of abdominals, but you will experience quicker success with an over all weight training program. With abdominal exercises, form is important. Remember to breath, do not hold your breathe at the 'top' of the lift. Cardio is always important.

Simple carbs do disproportionately effect stomach fat, especially if you have a body shape that leans that way, like I do. I use to have a job where I was on my feet on the time. A few years ago I got a position where I sit all the time. It wasn't long before my root beer belly showed up. I recently decided to knuckle down and get rid of it. Just like my mother I carry my weight in my stomach. I've work it off before, but as you get older reshaping your body gets harder. I have a little weight to lose too.

Good luck to you. I hope you find a plan that works for you. Be patient. Stomach fat is more difficult than most.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
My big problem area is my fat stomach. It has gotten WAY out of hand. It's not from drinking beer, because I'm not a drinker. I normally don't overeat either. I think the root cause lies in my genetics, because my mother always had the same poochy belly.
It's frustrating. My stomach doesn't even match the rest of my body! I have relatively little body fat on my limbs, butt, or other areas. I'm at a comfortable weight, and I don't really need to lose inches elsewhere. I just need to get rid of this big stomach!
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on supplements or diets that target fat in this area? Will I have to get lipo? I'm open to all ideas.
Sounds like we have the same body type. My fat is stored around the belly too. Exercise and proper nutrition can shrink the size of the fat cells, but not remove them. And it takes hard work. It took me 3 months to shrink my waist from 38'' to 30''. I worked out everyday, often twice a day, during those three months.

There are two types of fat -- subcutaneous and visceral. The first is right underneath the skin; the second is deeper and more dangerous. Fortunately, exercise and proper nutrition shrink both and usually the visceral fat first. Subcutaneous fat is more stubborn (for me anyway). Lipo, the other option you mentioned, is often used to remove subcutaneous fat and is very effective at that.

My suggestion is:

Control your body fat through exercise and nutrition first. Liposuction can help remove those last, stubborn subcutaneous fat cells if needed.

Here is an Article by the Mayo Clinic for your reading:

Body Fat Removal (Liposuction) at Mayo Clinic

Old 06-19-2010, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 414,941 times
things high in sugar and fat do that try going to the gym crunchs situps and other execirses targeting the stomach may reduce it

Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM

427 posts, read 550,963 times
Gilpin Girl mentions weight training......yes!!

In a study, researchers followed a group of women who lifted weights 3 times a week for 16 weeks. In the end they significantly decreased abdominal fat, and overall body fat.

Some say fat loss is 50% nutrition and 50% exercise. And cardiovascular exercise is probably the best way to reduce body fat. You might want to try 30 or 40 min. each day, 3 or 4 times a week. No need to go crazy at the start. You could start with 30 or 40 min. of just walking(not too slow now!). And work your way into a more calorie burning aerobic routien.

Healthy meals! Make sure your carbs are complex carbohydrates, like oatmeal, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, some fruit. And fiber! Get plenty of fiber. And drink plenty of water. Have patience, and good luck!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,287,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Thats just where you gain weight when you over-consume for your activity level. If you keep over consuming the weight will start to show elsewhere too.
Its not genetics, its your food/drink intake. The whole beer gut is just sorta a myth. Beer guts come from being bloating and over consuming in the form of beer and usually bad pub food.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

^^^ free guidance on diet and exercise based on your stats.

You will have to lose weight if you are showing a gut. Its just the way it is. It will come off the gut and maybe a little bit elsewhere. I like the saying: first place to show, last place to go. Thats how spot reduction really is. Its that final 10 or so pounds that is annoying to take off for everyone.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,361,682 times
I've been having a similar problem lately. My stomach has been blowing up while the rest of my body has been slimming down. I look like a starving pregnant person. It is getting under control though.

All I could say is, maybe eat more potassium. Simple carbs like sugar will definitely have an effect on your stomach.

Weight training is definitely important. You build muscle and your metabolism is quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss