Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Rends

One of my close friends is obese. He weighs 320 pounds. He have tried to loose weight countless of times with little results. He eats about 2000 calories per day normally. When dieting around 1500 . The scale does not budge at all . Maybe after a month he lost 5 pounds. That is nothing for a guy weighing 320.
But 2000 cal a day is standard for him. Even at that amount he should not be 320 pounds.

I think your friend is lying about how much he actually eats in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
If this hasn't been mentioned already, I recommend watching 'Fathead.' Contains some eye-opening info. To put it bluntly, our love of sugars, grains, and starches, coupled with our avoidance of the beneficial fats, is killing us. Both run counter to our evolutionary development.

Watch Fat Head online | Free | Hulu

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
R sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, thats not the case. I understand why you would think so but this one i know for sure. The only reason I came on here to tell this story, is because everything is not black and white. I wish people would understand that.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
I've been reading through this thread a while now and all that can be said is why has that troll DickSantos not been freaking banned already?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
R sure

No, thats not the case. I understand why you would think so but this one i know for sure. The only reason I came on here to tell this story, is because everything is not black and white. I wish people would understand that.
Is his dietary intake being measured in a clinical setting, with you having access to those medical records? Or, if not, are -you- watching this guy at every moment, to measure his dietary intake, measure every bit of food, examine each ingredient, the frequency of his snacks - to ensure he isn't lying, or exaggerating, or leaving a little something out (like - just one slice of whole-grain bread - but we won't mention the two tablespoons of butter and the two tablespoons of strawberry jam we added to that)...

If you're not actively watching him 24/7 to monitor every morsel he eats, OR he isn't in a hospital setting with every morsel he eats carefully monitored and logged - then no, you can't know for sure.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Some people have glandular problems. It's not the majority that RickSantos would have you believe, but some people still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I've been reading through this thread a while now and all that can be said is why has that troll DickSantos not been freaking banned already?
Haha and his secondary name that only shows up to support his ridiculous arguments: taintbug. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintbug
You're kicking her butt, Rick.

Thanks for the link to Dr. Jeffrey Friedman. His credentials are tops. He is well known in the reseach world and discovered leptin as you know.That man is the real deal ! I notice Dr. Friedman made clear that 10 % of severe obesity is entirely due to a single defective gene.

Also, you can post Dr. Liebel too, Rick. He is on YouTube as well on an HBO special.
Quote:
Rick is right. You ignored his links to Dr. Rudolph Liebel discussing this in detail , as well as the links to researchers admitting exercise is next to useless for weight loss.

Rick is easily winning this debate as far as I am concerned and I am sure others see it , too.
Quote:
This!!!

Brilliant, Rick Santos. I can see you have painstakingly researched this topic.

But, I bet they will ignore this scientific evidence you provided them from experiements. I see a lot of forum members with belief systems on here which are unsupported by the actual scientific investigations into obesity. Obesity is a biological phenomenon, not a moral failing at all.
Lol

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Is his dietary intake being measured in a clinical setting, with you having access to those medical records? Or, if not, are -you- watching this guy at every moment, to measure his dietary intake, measure every bit of food, examine each ingredient, the frequency of his snacks - to ensure he isn't lying, or exaggerating, or leaving a little something out (like - just one slice of whole-grain bread - but we won't mention the two tablespoons of butter and the two tablespoons of strawberry jam we added to that)...

If you're not actively watching him 24/7 to monitor every morsel he eats, OR he isn't in a hospital setting with every morsel he eats carefully monitored and logged - then no, you can't know for sure.
I know for sure. 100%! I don't want to explain why and how. Lets just leave it at that.

My point was, things are not always what they seem. People needs to understand that. We should not be so quick judging people based on their appearance.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Rends

One of my close friends is obese. He weighs 320 pounds. He have tried to lose weight countless of times with little results. He eats about 2000 calories per day normally. When dieting around 1500 . The scale does not budge at all . Maybe after a month he lost 5 pounds. That is nothing for a guy weighing 320.
But 2000 cal a day is standard for him. Even at that amount he should not be 320 pounds.
This may explain your friend's problem:

MMS: Error

"The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity,"

Unless he is measuring his intake, he really cannot know how many calories he is consuming, and as AnonChick mentioned, that means including everything that is consumed, even if he just had one bite of another person's dessert, for example. Just one bite of pecan pie is 115 calories, for example.

Five pounds in one month is just over one pound per week and is a good weight loss goal. The problem is wanting to lose weight faster rather than settling in for the long haul.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Post-chemo, I have had a lot of trouble losing weight. I gained 60 pounds in 6 months as a result of the lack of energy during chemo (I had to crawl up the stairs to my 3rd story apartment at the end of a work day), lots of steroids, and only finding "white" foods palatable a good chunk of the time (ie rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, toast). When you gain 10 pounds a month for 6 months straight, it throws EVERYTHING out of whack - and I already was on the larger side. It's been over a year and I haven't lost anything.

This is while maintaining at 1400 - 1600 diet (and writing down every bite in Sparkpeople - I actually probably overestimate my calories many days), taking spin class once a week (est. 1000 calories at my weight for an hour class), stationary biking for an hour the other days, and also go rock climbing or hiking when I can. I also toss around a kettlebell at night while watching tv, and do flash rounds of push ups or situps every 15 minutes. My blood counts are good, my cholesterol is perfect, and I've been told I have a "blood pressure that people would kill for" - but I still need to lose at least 100 pounds. Nothing works.

This week there have been a lot of treats in the office. A coworker gave me a packet of 3 pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate on Friday. I ate one Friday, another Sat, and a third on Sunday... and I'm up a pound today on Thursday. I didn't reduce my calories in other areas, but I also didn't change other behaviors. It just does NOT make sense!

This seems to be really common following lymphoma. So many of us struggle with weight as our hormones are all over the place, our metabolisms are out of whack, and many of us struggle with chronic fatigue (if I don't sleep at least 10 hours a night, I'm out of whack until I can get a good 14 hours in on a weekend).

I love hiking and rock climbing - but it's especially difficult when trying to do either at over 250 pounds. I move a WHOLE lot, a lot more than many of my slimmer friends, and yet it's a constant battle. Throw in PCOS for good measure, and I'm an endocrinologist's nightmare.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
What are some characteristics of people who successfully keep weight off?

Weight Loss Maintenance - September 15, 2010 - American Family Physician

Long-term weight loss maintenance

They do things like eating less and moving more, exercising up to an hour daily, even if just walking, and they spend less time sitting (as in front of the TV). They eat breakfast and they eat before getting ravenously hungry. That helps prevent binge eating. They monitor their weight so that they can do something about regaining it when it is in the early stages.

Rick would have us ignore the behavioral aspects of weight management, but they are there and they have to be dealt with. They can be modified, and awareness of ways to do that is essential. This is different from saying it is all "will power." It means that if you have a lot to lose, enrolling in a program that combines nutritional counselling and behavior modification counselling can be very helpful.

Losing weight is difficult, no doubt about it. Preventing obesity will always be better than trying to treat it. The researchers are telling us why it may be extremely difficult for some people to lose weight. However, that does not mean that no one can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss