Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I am going to have to disagree on the part when you said

and this

I know I am battling with my weight and other issues, but telling someone who is used to eating fatty foods and high amounts of sugar to completely stop is very difficult. So difficult, that the person begins to feel deprived. And the cravings get worse and worse and worse, until the person gives in. What you should do it eat less of the junk foods then gradually cut them out of yuor diet.

With your eat less approach, you could be depriving yourself of the nurtrients you need. You will just end up hungry and with a terrible headache to boot. And being hungry and having a splitting headache at the same time sucks the energy right out of you. You get irritable and it is hard to do your exercising for the day.

The move more part is also subjective. Not all people live in urban areas where you don't really need a car. People in more rural or suburban areas use cars to get around. After school and work, you really just want to dive in the couch and eat in front of the TV. If I could I would sit in front of the TV, computer, or home all day, eat, and sleep, but I wouldn't lose any weight now would I? Also another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people don't work in cozy little offices with a gym conveniently located within the building. This is not an excuse but if you have people working all day that have to come home to kids and other daily stresses making time for exercise is difficult.
Small changes work best either in weight loss or in exercise. If you try to do too much too soon most people get discouraged and give up.

Any healthy change is a good change just stick to one and then move onto another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Small changes work best either in weight loss or in exercise. If you try to do too much too soon most people get discouraged and give up.

Any healthy change is a good change just stick to one and then move onto another.
I have to agree with you. Baby steps are best. There are sayings I like from various "recovery" programs and they really are true. Progress not perfection and Better is Better.

Everyone is different. The same formula is not going to work the same for everyone. A cookie cutter approach should not be taken to this.

Deprivation is not the way to go. If you want a bite of chocolate cake, go for it. That way you won't eat the entire cake. It's the people who forbid themselves any chocolate cake that end up bingeing on the chocolate cake. If you told me I could never have another piece of cheesecake again in my life (which I do like to eat every two or three years), I'd be right down at the store buying a cheesecake now.

As to moving more, I'll move more when I feel like moving more and not when someone tells me to move more. Already losing almost 11 lbs my feet hurt much less so I imagine this means I am closer to feeling like walking. Yup, I'll be working my way up slowly. First down the street, then around the block, then we'll see. A day at a time.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 09-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Deprivation is not the way to go. If you want a bite of chocolate cake, go for it. That way you won't eat the entire cake. It's the people who forbid themselves any chocolate cake that end up bingeing on the chocolate cake. If you told me I could never have another piece of cheesecake again in my life (which I do like to eat every two or three years), I'd be right down at the store buying a cheesecake now.
In a sense, that's true, but you can't just buy or make one bite of chocolate cake. For many people, the temptation to binge is so strong that they do have to go cold turkey, at least until they get their eating habits in check.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Deprivation is not the way to go. If you want a bite of chocolate cake, go for it. That way you won't eat the entire cake. It's the people who forbid themselves any chocolate cake that end up bingeing on the chocolate cake.
I have the same mentality. If I have a craving for something, a snickers for example, I'll buy it, take a bite or two, then toss the rest of it. I don't deprive myself of the things I enjoy, I just severely restrict my consumption of them.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In a sense, that's true, but you can't just buy or make one bite of chocolate cake. For many people, the temptation to binge is so strong that they do have to go cold turkey, at least until they get their eating habits in check.
Well, I remember when I was very thin and a runner (no period for two years due to such a low BMI). I refused all sweets. I would accept pieces of cake at work and dump them (secretly) in the trash without one bite. HOWEVER, I would be downstairs at home eating cake right out of the freezer in larger than normal quantities. That is why I believe in not depriving yourself. Moderation in all things or you end up with disorders.

It is possible to buy one piece of cake at the grocery store, if you go to the right grocery store. It is possible to cut it into four pieces and put them into four baggies and three in the freezer and eat one.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Eat Less, Move more!! - why is it so difficult for people?
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that it's not that simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
In reading your post, I'm not sure what prompted your rant on "fat people".
Sadly, it's a pattern with quite a few people who frequent these forums, who have plenty of judgements and pronouncements, but little advice or empathy. Stick around and you'll recognize it.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
The OP is correct - eat less, move more. If it was that easy, nobody would be overweight.

I quit a 55-year smoking habit. Took four tries to be successful. It was hard.

I'm currently in the process of shedding excess avoirdupois. Down 18 pounds since mid-May. Eating less, moving more. It is hard. It may be simple, but it isn't easy.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Does depression come into your equation? No, you just think it is so simple, eat less, move more. How about people who are just depressed, too depressed to even care about fitness. They just barely make it thru the day, and their only pleasure in their life, is food. It is a social issue.

Somethings are not always so simple...

Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have to agree with you. Baby steps are best. There are sayings I like from various "recovery" programs and they really are true. Progress not perfection and Better is Better..
I disagree. It would be like treating alcoholism by having a drunk reduce his booze consumption by an ounce at a time. Sugar consumption just begets more sugar consumption. You need to cut it out completely to reduce cravings.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Does depression come into your equation? No, you just think it is so simple, eat less, move more. How about people who are just depressed, too depressed to even care about fitness. They just barely make it thru the day, and their only pleasure in their life, is food. It is a social issue.

Somethings are not always so simple...
If that's the case, their problem isn't obesity. It's depression. In that case, obesity is a symptom of a problem, and not the problem itself.

Obesity as a result of plain old ordinary overeating and lack of exercise can be -cured- by eating less and exercising more.

Obesity as a symptom of something else, needs to have that "something else" treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss