Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times

Advertisements

I tried everything over the years nothing has worked...until now. I'm in the best shape of my life and am not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change and I thought I would share with all of you. The weight has dropped off and I now have the heart rate of an athelete. Here are my top 10 suggestions.

1. Most important (portion size). Only eat the recommended portion size of everything you eat. Americans supersize everything without realizing it!

2. Eat 6 small meals thougout the day. I never eat 3 large meals anymore. Space it out during the day to keep your metabolism up.

3. Start excercising. I do p90X...but anything will work. Anything that involves some kind of muscle building is best because you will increase your metabolism this way (especially for women). Remember...nothing will happen overnight. I didn't see any changes until about 2 months after excercising...results from excercising is not like going through the drivethrough. It took years to get that way...it may take a year of consistent excercise to even see results.

4. Replace all beverages with water. I drink water only with meals except for breakfast when I drink a glass of milk and coffee.

5. Eat nothing with high fructose corn syrup in it (a big one)!

6. Try to avoid processed foods...rule of thumb if it has ingredients you don't recognize...try not to eat it. Try to make what you eat..the crock pot has been key for me. Just throw in your healthy ingedients and your dinner is ready with out fuss later on.

7. To help portion size eat on a small plate and don't go for seconds. You won't be hungery because you just ate a substantial snack like an apple paired with almonds for a snack 2 to 3 hours prior.

8. Have a protien shake after a hard workout...this will keep you from feeling wiped out the rest of the day. I like Jay Robbs because it's the healthiest one I can find in my grocery store.

9. If you are confused about what you can eat...think about how your grandparents may have eaten back in the day when processed foods didn't exist...eat that way

10. Eat enough calories...if you try to starve your body you will hang on to every last calorie and your metabolism will drop! Drink a liter of water before lunch as well. I'm 5 feet 1 inch and eat 1500 cal on days I don't work out and about 1700 cal on the days I do work out.

My fav foods and snacks:

boiled eggs, skim milk, black bean soup, moz cheese stick, apple paired with almonds, banana paired with peanut butter, peanut butter and banana sandwich, arnold high protein bread, organic 100 cal popcorn, greek yogurt, marinated chick salad with almonds and cheese on spinach, chick potatoe and carrot soup, whole wheat chicken tort wraps, made from home chicken salad on bread, hummus and carrots, black bean burgers, salsa lime chicken with veggies as sides, brunswick stew, lemon chick soup with veggies, kashi cereal, south beach crustless spinach quiche, made from home egg rolls. Those are just examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
May I suggest making your big meal Breakfast then? That is where you should do your carb loading, and the heaviest of proteins. It will help carry you through the day, and the small meals you have afterward will only lift you back to feeling satisfied.

Ian

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 22,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I tried everything over the years nothing has worked...until now. I'm in the best shape of my life and am not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change and I thought I would share with all of you. The weight has dropped off and I now have the heart rate of an athelete. Here are my top 10 suggestions.

1. Most important (portion size). Only eat the recommended portion size of everything you eat. Americans supersize everything without realizing it!

2. Eat 6 small meals thougout the day. I never eat 3 large meals anymore. Space it out during the day to keep your metabolism up.

3. Start excercising. I do p90X...but anything will work. Anything that involves some kind of muscle building is best because you will increase your metabolism this way (especially for women). Remember...nothing will happen overnight. I didn't see any changes until about 2 months after excercising...results from excercising is not like going through the drivethrough. It took years to get that way...it may take a year of consistent excercise to even see results.

4. Replace all beverages with water. I drink water only with meals except for breakfast when I drink a glass of milk and coffee.

5. Eat nothing with high fructose corn syrup in it (a big one)!

6. Try to avoid processed foods...rule of thumb if it has ingredients you don't recognize...try not to eat it. Try to make what you eat..the crock pot has been key for me. Just throw in your healthy ingedients and your dinner is ready with out fuss later on.

7. To help portion size eat on a small plate and don't go for seconds. You won't be hungery because you just ate a substantial snack like an apple paired with almonds for a snack 2 to 3 hours prior.

8. Have a protien shake after a hard workout...this will keep you from feeling wiped out the rest of the day. I like Jay Robbs because it's the healthiest one I can find in my grocery store.

9. If you are confused about what you can eat...think about how your grandparents may have eaten back in the day when processed foods didn't exist...eat that way

10. Eat enough calories...if you try to starve your body you will hang on to every last calorie and your metabolism will drop! Drink a liter of water before lunch as well. I'm 5 feet 1 inch and eat 1500 cal on days I don't work out and about 1700 cal on the days I do work out.

My fav foods and snacks:

boiled eggs, skim milk, black bean soup, moz cheese stick, apple paired with almonds, banana paired with peanut butter, peanut butter and banana sandwich, arnold high protein bread, organic 100 cal popcorn, greek yogurt, marinated chick salad with almonds and cheese on spinach, chick potatoe and carrot soup, whole wheat chicken tort wraps, made from home chicken salad on bread, hummus and carrots, black bean burgers, salsa lime chicken with veggies as sides, brunswick stew, lemon chick soup with veggies, kashi cereal, south beach crustless spinach quiche, made from home egg rolls. Those are just examples.
Awesome! Great Job! That is exactly what I did minus the crockpot, and have lost over 100lbs., and yeah, it took me over a year, but I persevered. It takes lots and lots of patience, and having someone supportive does help. I have gone to all natural foods, and water. I learned to cook, and stay away from those work potlucks that they have at my job all the time. Once I got used to measuring, and reading ingredients it became second nature.

My lifestyle has changed, but for the good of both me and my husband. He may be skinny, but that doesn't mean he was healthy. Now, he has changed too, and vowed to never eat anything processed again.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
May I suggest making your big meal Breakfast then? That is where you should do your carb loading, and the heaviest of proteins. It will help carry you through the day, and the small meals you have afterward will only lift you back to feeling satisfied.
I've started to do this and it works..though I still have a somewhat large hot meal for dinner, its not much bigger than bkfst. The key is that you get super-hungry later in the day, and the light meals do work to pick you up or keep you sated.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
All good suggestions. Fill up with bulk like lettuce and drink a lot of water for fullness. Cut way down on carbs.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Excellent post, and I'll bet you will never gain all the weight back again. It really is that simple, well done, you kick a$$!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Excellent post, and I'll bet you will never gain all the weight back again. It really is that simple, well done, Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-30-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM

129 posts, read 359,347 times
Those tips are helpful, but i think you missed the most important one. Spend more calories than you eat.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I tried everything over the years nothing has worked....
It's interesting you "tried everything" except the basic, simple, oft repeated, standard, agree to, successful, time tested, and necessary methods to lose weight.

Also, everyone already knows all your recommendations. It's not rocket science. (In fact, you knew all these things years before you got serious and practiced them.) The fact remains, people are still overweight. People aren't overweight because they don't know all those methods. In fact, the fatter a person is, the more they seem to know about healthy foods, how many calories an item of food has, etc.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's interesting you "tried everything" except the basic, simple, oft repeated, standard, agree to, successful, time tested, and necessary methods to lose weight.

Also, everyone already knows all your recommendations. It's not rocket science. (In fact, you knew all these things years before you got serious and practiced them.) The fact remains, people are still overweight. People aren't overweight because they don't know all those methods. In fact, the fatter a person is, the more they seem to know about healthy foods, how many calories an item of food has, etc.
I actually have to disagree with this response. I had no idea how terrible processed foods were before now...the food companies advertise that their 100 cal food packs or their special K cereal will help you loose weight...etc. I believed that all those years that products that were processed and advertised that they were healthy was true. I think the general public thinks that too. We are heavily swayed by these companies. Again...had no clue about these foods. So actually, I didn't know what to do. People that I know that are trying to loose weight have no idea how....they eat a huge bowl of special K for breakfast, a granola bar for snack, a 100 cal pack of something for another snack, a huge what seems to be healthy turkey sandwich deli style for lunch...etc. That's what the public teaches us that is healthy. In order to eat healthy, you have to ignore about 75% of what a regular grocery store offers. People in general have no clue what healthy foods are. I thought I used to know, but I was way wrong.

Two years ago I got serious, hired a physical trainer, and ate low calorie diet with all the processed junk that was advertised healthy and lost no weight at all. I was eating a lean quisine for lunch everday. I did this for 6 months and thought I was eating healthy and excercising right...boy was I wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss