Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 AM

970 posts, read 2,969,577 times

Advertisements

Growing up 'back in the day', I remember Eastpointe as a close-knit community filled with adorable, well-maintained post-war homes that lined treed streets where children rode bicycles and pulled each other in wagons. People grew up there, and they stayed there. Now, driving through Eastpointe, I see run-down areas with boarded-up windows, overgrown lawns, foreclosures, evidence of gang activity, and I had a metal garbage can lid thrown at my car by a bunch of kids while driving down Gratiot. And, the amount of homes for sale (Eastpointe Real Estate & Eastpointe Homes For Sale - Zillow) indicate the number of people wanting to leave that city. Is this just another example of the 'Detroit Effect' which is taking over a good number of cities that touch 8 Mile, or is it something different entirely?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,876 times
Pretty much the Detroit effect as you stated. Almost like a plague that spreads across. For the families that want a better life from Detroit, theres a higher percentage that just ruin that whole experience and bring the Detroit mentality with them across 8 mile.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Growing up 'back in the day', I remember Eastpointe as a close-knit community filled with adorable, well-maintained post-war homes that lined treed streets where children rode bicycles and pulled each other in wagons. People grew up there, and they stayed there. Now, driving through Eastpointe, I see run-down areas with boarded-up windows, overgrown lawns, foreclosures, evidence of gang activity, and I had a metal garbage can lid thrown at my car by a bunch of kids while driving down Gratiot. And, the amount of homes for sale (Eastpointe Real Estate & Eastpointe Homes For Sale - Zillow) indicate the number of people wanting to leave that city. Is this just another example of the 'Detroit Effect' which is taking over a good number of cities that touch 8 Mile, or is it something different entirely?

Where are these boarded up homes you speak of? Are you sure you weren't on the Detroit side of 8 Mile? What is this evidence of gang activity? A group of blacks doesn't constitute gang activity.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Where are these boarded up homes you speak of? Are you sure you weren't on the Detroit side of 8 Mile? What is this evidence of gang activity? A group of blacks doesn't constitute gang activity.
I'm not talking about black people. How am I against black people if the whole reason I was down there was to visit my black friend? I'm talking about 'F*** BLOODS' spray painted on a garage about a block and a half north of Toepfer. Also, there's around 10 boarded up homes between 8 and Toepfer. It's not much, but, it's still ashame.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about black people. I'm talking about 'F*** BLOODS' spray painted on a garage about a block and a half north of Toepfer. Also, there's around 10 boarded up homes between 8 and Toepfer. It's not much, but, it's still ashame.

I want street names. That's only about 2 miles from where I live and I don't believe it. I was looking at homes in Eastpointe. I want to see for myself.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I want street names. That's only about 2 miles from where I live and I don't believe it. I was looking at homes in Eastpointe. I want to see for myself.
I didn't really get street names. This was a little while ago, and I was just driving around trying to find my friend's house. But, I'll tell you what. I'll go down there next time I get the chance and get street names.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I didn't really get street names. This was a little while ago, and I was just driving around trying to find my friend's house. But, I'll tell you what. I'll go down there next time I get the chance and get street names.

Please do because I frankly don't believe you. I go by Eastpointe frequently and have not seen this. I have never been attacked while driving down Gratiot regardless if I was in Eastpointe or Detroit. Hell I go to the White Castle at 8 Mile and Gratiot often. Day or night.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Please do because I frankly don't believe you. I go by Eastpointe frequently and have not seen this. I have never been attacked while driving down Gratiot regardless if I was in Eastpointe or Detroit. Hell I go to the White Castle at 8 Mile and Gratiot often. Day or night.
I had a garbage can lid thrown at my car. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it never happens. It put a good-sized dent in my car. And If I'm thinking of the same White Castle, I'm pretty familiar with that area. My wife goes to a beauty store in that strip mall across the street from White Castle, and I like the Arby's just up 8 Mile from the White Castle

Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I had a garbage can lid thrown at my car. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it never happens. It put a good-sized dent in my car. And If I'm thinking of the same White Castle, I'm pretty familiar with that area. My wife goes to a beauty store in that strip mall across the street from White Castle, and I like the Arby's just up 8 Mile from the White Castle

I'm sure it does happen but that is the exception not the norm. The only Arby's I know of just up 8 Mile is by Dequindre and I'm not sure if it's still open. There is another White Castle by 8 Mile and Sherwood that would be closer to that Arby's.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it does happen but that is the exception not the norm. The only Arby's I know of just up 8 Mile is by Dequindre and I'm not sure if it's still open. There is another White Castle by 8 Mile and Sherwood that would be closer to that Arby's.
It is on 8 Mile, east of the White Castle, almost on the corner of 8 and Brock St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit