Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,514 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I have wanted to apply to Wayne State for a long time now, but unfortunately I was unable to finish HS. I am getting my GED and was wondering if anyone you know or you yourself has gotten admitted to Wayne State with a GED?

Also for anyone, can you tell me about your experience getting admitted to Wayne State? Was it difficult, or average? Thanks,

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

151 posts, read 641,580 times
The experience was pretty painless and easy, but I applied in 1996, before the school had dorms, Starbucks, etc.

However, the university prides itself on its urban mission so there has to be a Community Education Department that works with incoming students who have GEDs, low grades, etc

I would call the admissions office and ask them to direct you from there. Best of luck to you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there, I have wanted to apply to Wayne State for a long time now, but unfortunately I was unable to finish HS. I am getting my GED and was wondering if anyone you know or you yourself has gotten admitted to Wayne State with a GED?

Also for anyone, can you tell me about your experience getting admitted to Wayne State? Was it difficult, or average? Thanks,

Daniel

Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,128,973 times
I would guess that, while doable, getting in w/ a GED may be tricky. As ericka alluded, Wayne State has become more popular of late; the area around it is steadily yuppifying and becoming more trendy and many more Detroiters are opting to stay close to home and go to WSU rather than U-M or MSU, the traditional campuses that are more popular and well known, nationally. Wayne is certainly a solid school and these factors may make your chances that much more limited... but not impossible.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Wayne has always been fairly competitive admissions wise. It is not one of those schools that you can get into if you can breathe. However a GED does not mean that you cannot obtain an admission. If your test scores are good, you will have a good chance of admission.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM

245 posts, read 881,838 times
Wayne is not competitive admissions wise (I work there), we pride ourselves on it

apply - you will get in -Project 350

Federal Trio Programs - Mission

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,514 times
Thanks, I spoke to an admissions counselor there and she told me that as long as I have 12 transferrable credits with a combined GPA of 2.0 I am automatically accepted. That is great news to hear. I am a straight A student but had to drop out because of family problems. I really want to go to school. I have GIANT goals and it always seems that most colleges only admit rich students or those that play sports or somethin. Wayne state is a fresh alternative.

May i ask what you teach mrsjdaniel?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,721,951 times
Hey Daniel -

I went to what many would consider one of those schools that "only admits rich kids or those that play sports". I wouldn't count yourself out so quickly. I met a lot of people from very diverse economic backgrounds - some that were brilliant, others that were as dumb as dirt. A good admissions essay, a good sob story, GIANT goals (as you say), and evidence that you've given it all you've got can go a long way. Maybe a year or two at a junior college or Wayne State might make you more enticing, but I wouldn't assume you can't get in to any school just because of your assumptions.

I'm not knocking Wayne State - I think it's a really good school - especially for someone coming from Tucson to immerse yourself in the urban environment.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
I went to Wayne in the early 1980s. I had friends who were rejected. Maybe things were different then, or maybe my friends were really dumb. It was a good school then. It was well known for certain areas of education. Pharmacy was one of them. I cannot remember what else. They had one of the best debate teams in the country. Certainly top ten. The fencing team was outstanding too. The people that I went to school with were competitive students. I cannot remember encountering anyone who was not well qualified. Most people who chose Wayne went there because they could not afford MSU or U-M. At least at the time, Wayne was more than competitive with the other smaller local colleges (Eastern, Central, Oakland, etc). I graduated with mediocre grades (3.4 or so) and was accepted to U-M law school which was in the top three law schools at the time. In fact, I was accepted almost everywhere I applied (Boalt (U.Cal.); USC; UCLA; UVA; Georgetown) the only rejection that I can remember was Yale. Obviously the law schools did not view Wayne as a non-competitive school.

However, that was long ago. Maybe things have changed, but I have heard that it is still highly regarded. (Am I misinformed?). Check with graduate school admissions persons and ask what they think of Wayne now. Even if you are not planning to go to grad school, that will give you a good idea of whether the perceived quality of Wayne has changed.

If it has not, you are fine going there.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,456,196 times
Wayne is one of those schools with little national reputation as a university, but individual departments are often recognized by their discipline. Much of this has to do with money. There isn't enough money at Wayne to throw around, but there are pockets that shine depending on faculty and resources. When MI sneezes, Wayne catches a cold since it doesn't have a ginormous endowment like U of M and MSU, but it has survived quite well over the decades.

Debate is still very good, judging by all the recent "national champ" posters the communications department puts up. Pharmacy has a brand spanking new compound. The law school is still well known among the field, hence why a pre-law student would be competitive. Medical anthropology used to be tops and is still highly regarded as is their "urban anthropology." In general, any field that has to do with urban issues and automotive does quite well at Wayne. I wouldn't study dairy farming or aviation at Wayne, but something like city planning would be quite good I'm sure.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,456,196 times
One interesting side note in higher education I've noticed as a recent arrival is the dynamic between Wayne State and Oakland. Few people know that the third R1 university in the state after U of M and MSU is Wayne. Yes, Wayne, and only Wayne, is technically supposed to be in the same class as U of M and MSU even though it's had a difficult time shaking its commuter reputation. Recently, Wayne's status as the third R1 has been challenged by Oakland. This "competition" will fully engage once Oakland gets its med school with Beaumont. Not too many people know that Wayne almost lost its affiliation with the DMC. If this happens, the med school is up the creek without a teaching hospital, which would jeopardize its very existence and therefore the university's R1 status. I'm sure Oakland would happily swoop in with Beaumont as a powerful ally, and half the metro would happily cheer it on while watching Wayne diminish. Overall, I find these developments fascinating as they pretty much fall into the age-old urban vs. suburban debate, with Wayne being the poster child for all that is Detroit and Oakland being the same for the suburbs with its connection to Cranbrook, Meadowbrook Hall, and all the brahmins Oakland County is generally associated with.

Okay, back to our normal discussions now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit