Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,233 times

Advertisements

I checked greatschools.com and it looks like just about all the schools look pretty good... but I don't have the familiarity with this district that I do with others we are considering, and I am hoping to get some more thoughts about it. I have heard rumors that violence and crime have been an issue as of late, is there any truth to those rumors? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

We have a few years before we'll have kids in the school system, which is plenty of time for any district to take a turn for the worst, but we see some good real estate opportunities here and I'd feel more comfortable considering them if I knew more about the schools.

The other district we are considering moving into is Farmington.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,609,840 times
Haven't heard anything violent, but lately their buses have been vandalized repeatedly and have caused school closings. They also just recently voted to privatize bus service (not saying it's probably the reason for the buses being vandalized, but it's fishy).

Other than that, I doubt the academics of the school district should be affected at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
It is a good district generally. The high school is pretty large. family members and friends who went through the system recently reported increasing drug use, extreme bullying incidents and petty crimes, some violence but nothing like shootings, stabbing etc. Academically a good school, but somewhat on the decline recently I think. Not failing, just not what it used to be. Citydata or greats chools should have information on that. Still an really good district overall.

I do not know anyone who attends Farmington or has kids there. Nor have my kids come into contact with Farmington through sports, music or academic competitions or events. It is a school that I simply hear very little comment or discussion about. When we looked into schools and talked with a few hundred different people, Farmington was not considered as good as West Bloomfield. However that was 6 years ago. They may have moved several notches in any direction since then.

Walled Lake Schools are supposed to be very good. They certinaly have a nice high school and they are very competitive in arts and academics (not sure about sports). I think they may have two high schools and one is better than the other.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 28,865 times
They're decent. Lake Orion is another good district, I personally went to Lake Orion all through my years of school and didn't have many issues. I got a good education too. Lake Orion has a great football team and marching band, if your kids would be into that stuff in the future. I was personally in the marching band myself. Amazing band program.

I really don't know too much about West Bloomfield.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,712 times
UM2011, not certain if you're still in the decision-making process, but if you are, be warned. Avoid West Bloomfield and the school district. Here's why - the district used to have several schools that were National Exemplary Award winners, and were considered in the top 10% state-wide throughout the 1990's. But then the former Superintendent Gary Faber decided to make West Bloomfield a Schools of Choice district. Since then (around 2000), the number of fights, bullying, vandalism, and academic achievement all went in the wrong directions. The home values in West Bloomfield accurately reflect the generally poor schools and increase in crime. Check the U.S. News and World Report (2012) to see how mediocre the schools have become. Better communities and schools can be found in Milford, Clarkston, Rochester. Frankly, your family would be best served if they could move to the Grand Rapids area, where the schools and communities are safer and provide better education than West Bloomfield.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,499,618 times
A lot of people rely on SchoolDigger as a primary data point, but this database gives a good idea of where each school within a district ranks in relation to other schools in the district and the state. It also indicates if a school is a "Focus" school (large achievement gaps between groups). I found it to be very handy when investigating districts as not all schools within a district are equal.

As you can see, there is a wide spread when it comes to West Bloomfield schools.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120802/NEWS06/120801077/Database-Michigan-School-Report-Cards

Typically a district throwing open its doors and becoming a "school of choice" district is a huge red flag. It usually indicates that the district is struggling to attract enough new families to maintain enrollment levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit