Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs. Omaha
Des Moines 61 48.80%
Omaha 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,486 times

Advertisements

wait....isn't dodge a Street, Road and an Expressway? lol who cares i guess

Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
One thing that I think is funny is that one of the things we're looking at for both cities is how easy you can leave them. Omaha wins on the airport, Des Moines wins on ground travel.

I think Des Moines has a slight nudge in the arts over Omaha. Omaha has a better live music environment (although this does flip-flop back to Des Moines from time to time), Des Moines has a better theater scene and art museum.

Omaha has better steakhouses. Des Moines has better Italian food.

Omaha's old market is better than anything similar in Des Moines, hands down.

Des Moines has less crime and generally looks a lot nicer. I think Des Moines has better access to outdoor recreation in the city as well (Gray's Lake, Easter Lake, etc)

Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Qwest Center Omaha, Holland Performing Arts Center, Sokol Auditorium, Mid-America Center, Orpheum Theater, Omaha Community Playhouse, Omaha Civic Auditorium, many many art galleries downtown and JOSLYN ART MUSEUM? The list goes on and on....

Des Moines must have some pretty impressive venues if it tops Omaha. Also Omaha is considered the Indy Rock capitol of the US along with Chicago.

YES OMAHA'S CRIME IS GETTING BAD...Shootings in particular.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Qwest Center Omaha, Holland Performing Arts Center, Sokol Auditorium, Mid-America Center, Orpheum Theater, Omaha Community Playhouse, Omaha Civic Auditorium, many many art galleries downtown and JOSLYN ART MUSEUM? The list goes on and on....

Des Moines must have some pretty impressive venues if it tops Omaha. Also Omaha is considered the Indy Rock capitol of the US along with Chicago.

YES OMAHA'S CRIME IS GETTING BAD...Shootings in particular.

Omaha does have a better live music scene/atmosphere, generally speaking. Certain genres are better served in Des Moines though, for now.

Des Moines has a much better art festival than Omaha too.

Joslyn Art Museum is pretty cool, but I like the Des Moines one better, as well as the grounds around it.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 AM

What is the name of that museum you are speaking of? I would like to visit sometime. I love Joslyn but if you think Des Moines is better I think I need to visit!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:30 PM

desmoinesartcenter.org

Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 38,514 times
Default Dubuque vs Sioux city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
Before 9/11, we had 3 airlines @ Dubuque Regional. We lost 2 of them, and still have only one, but have seen overall passenger numbers rise. DBQ is now Iowa's 3rd busiest airport, behind only Des Moines & CR. Impressive. A new terminal building is in the works, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few more airlines. We are also going to get AmTrak service to Chicago in a few years.
Sioux City Gateway is bout 4 days away from being Iowa's busiest airport.
it is going to be hard for Dubuque to attract more airlines with Moline and Cedar Rapids so close by.
Also , I doubt that Amtrak will ever come to Dubuque, it will choose either Cedar Rapids or Iowa city over Dubuque.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 38,514 times
Default ground travel in Des Moines????

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
One thing that I think is funny is that one of the things we're looking at for both cities is how easy you can leave them. Omaha wins on the airport, Des Moines wins on ground travel.

I think Des Moines has a slight nudge in the arts over Omaha. Omaha has a better live music environment (although this does flip-flop back to Des Moines from time to time), Des Moines has a better theater scene and art museum.

Omaha has better steakhouses. Des Moines has better Italian food.

Omaha's old market is better than anything similar in Des Moines, hands down.

Des Moines has less crime and generally looks a lot nicer. I think Des Moines has better access to outdoor recreation in the city as well (Gray's Lake, Easter Lake, etc)
so, Des moines wins on ground travel? did Amtrak start service to des moines., oh, i get it, Des Moines has better Greyhound bus service than Des Moines. WOW!!!!
Also, Omaha [and also Sioux City] both have beautiful Orpheum Theatres. Des Moines has a very boring building in the Civic Center. May I ask you, how many chandelers does the Civic Center have?
The Orpheum Theatres in both Omaha and Sioux City are both magnificent buildings and the Civic Center of Des Moines pales in comparison to them.
oh, and did I have, Omaha and Sioux City both have Frontier Airlines???

Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralboy View Post
so, Des moines wins on ground travel? did Amtrak start service to des moines., oh, i get it, Des Moines has better Greyhound bus service than Des Moines. WOW!!!!
Also, Omaha [and also Sioux City] both have beautiful Orpheum Theatres. Des Moines has a very boring building in the Civic Center. May I ask you, how many chandelers does the Civic Center have?
The Orpheum Theatres in both Omaha and Sioux City are both magnificent buildings and the Civic Center of Des Moines pales in comparison to them.
oh, and did I have, Omaha and Sioux City both have Frontier Airlines???

Des Moines is a better spot for ground travel, being closer to Minneapolis and Chicago than Omaha. No one said anything about Greyhound or Amtrack, except you.

Chandelers? Are you serious? I guess the Orpheum has more chandelers than the Des Moines civic center so that makes it a better place, nevermind what actually comes and performs there. Makes plenty of sense. Have you seen the inside of the Hoyt Sherman Place, by the way?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 AM

That's almost like saying Omaha is better because it's closer to Denver & KC. I don't think a cities proximity to larger cities actually makes it a better city for anything.....especially when they are that far away form the larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines