Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs. Omaha
Des Moines 61 48.80%
Omaha 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,486 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it is very doubtful. It probably wouldn't be because of population or anything like that, there just isn't really progressive thinking leadership for the most part in the midwest. The FAA has said the country could use several new large hub airports. The purpose is just to get air traffic moving and less congested. Plains are sitting on the tarmac full of people for hours everyday and its getting much worse. Omaha really would be in a good situation to at least study the idea instead of thinking only of its riverfront. Don't get me wrong, Epply is in an ideal area but would never have enough land to become a much larger airport. Maybe something like this would be a good opportunity for Des Moines or Wichita? Middle of the country, not a lot of air traffic. It would be a perfecting airport for connecting flights.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:20 AM

lol *PLANES

Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I think they're both great cities. both are growing in their own ways, though It would be a long time before Des Moines MSA ever catches Omaha's....just like DFW catching Chicago as that's my MSA"s next goal...maintaining our current #4 rank and catching Chicago in the next 25 years, which by my calculations will not happen....but it will come close.
Humm, Im getting off topic here, but I dont think that DFW will ever pass Chicago. Chicago metro 9million, DFW about 5 million. But the main thing is that if DFW does pass the Chicago metro, DFW would be a sprawl nightmare (considered by some already) because it is not set up to hold the kind of density that urban Chicago has. DFW continuously build out at lower densities (Granted Chicago is sprawling to) but included in the older Chicago urban core (near west suburbs included) you have about 5 million people alone! If DFW passes 9 million, I sure as heck wouldnt want to live there unless they mirracusly become a more dense urban set up.

but these city X vs. City Y threads, keep them up. I love reading them!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Humm, Im getting off topic here, but I dont think that DFW will ever pass Chicago. Chicago metro 9million, DFW about 5 million. But the main thing is that if DFW does pass the Chicago metro, DFW would be a sprawl nightmare (considered by some already) because it is not set up to hold the kind of density that urban Chicago has. DFW continuously build out at lower densities (Granted Chicago is sprawling to) but included in the older Chicago urban core (near west suburbs included) you have about 5 million people alone! If DFW passes 9 million, I sure as heck wouldnt want to live there unless they mirracusly become a more dense urban set up.

but these city X vs. City Y threads, keep them up. I love reading them!
ACtually, DFW is at 6.4 million currently. The current 2030 projections has DFW coming within a stone's throw of Chicago, but not surpassing it. Chicago will have roughly 10.6 million people to DFW's 10-10.3 million depending on which model you use.
So you're right, it wont pass Chicago, but it will come close.
We're adding 150,000 people roughly per year to the Metroplex.
Our urban center is adding 26 highrises alone in the next 3-4 years, with another 25-26 that will be built in the next 10 years thereafter...meaning in 10 years, you will see at least 50 new highrises in the downtown/uptown areas of Dallas alone, and that's not including the ones on the drawing board.
With the rail system doubling over the next 5 years and tripling over the next 25 years, it's going to get quite crowded here. This is not including Ft. Worth's downtown plans, Irving/Las Colinas business district, and the Tollway's plans.

But you're right, DFW is much more sprawled out than Chicago...in at 8400 sq. miles. Our airport is the 2nd largest in the country, and that in itself is larger in land area than the island of Manhattan.

However, with 50 new highrises on their way up, density is going to be increasing in the urban core immensely coupling it with increased rail service to both Love Field and DFW Int'l. Dallas is finally trying to increase density after year's of solely building out. Demand for living in the city is very high now.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 71,105 times
Des M for sure is the best....Omaha is too darn close to Sioux City.....Sewer City smell might drift the 90 miles south and infect it.....The smell alone will make you gain 50 lbs, cause your car to rust and drop parts on the road, make you move into a moldy, old ass house and your job will only pay you about 20% of the market value and your kids will be forced to learn spanish.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 AM

lol i think i just got dumber for having read that vincolo1

Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincolo1 View Post
Des M for sure is the best....Omaha is too darn close to Sioux City.....Sewer City smell might drift the 90 miles south and infect it.....The smell alone will make you gain 50 lbs, cause your car to rust and drop parts on the road, make you move into a moldy, old ass house and your job will only pay you about 20% of the market value and your kids will be forced to learn spanish.
LOL! I have to say, your post was pretty funny, perhaps a bit extreme, but hillarious, good work. Some of those things are true about Sioux City, but not to that extent. Poor Sioux City, I kind of feel bad it has such a bad rap. It used to be quite the city in the early 20th century, and its trying to improve.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:32 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
SIoux City definitely had the potential for greatness...it's too bad that the State of Iowa and also Sioux City's city council from the 20th century could not promote growth as the people of Sioux Falls did.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 35,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Des Moines and Omaha have competed with each other for decades. OMaha's growth has outpaced Des MOines, but there are merits to both cities.

Which one do you like better?

As for me, overall, though I'm from Iowa, I do like OMaha better (but barely)...but in comparison, I still think Des Moines' downtown has a much nicer skyline than OMaha despite OMaha's recent additions. Des MOines downtown has a higher density of buildings compared to OMaha's, which is more spread out. Des Moines also has a skywalk system that is only bested by Minneapolis/St. Paul's. Des MOines downtown is also home to a very nice Farmer's Market.

Omaha does best Des Moines in their historic districts. The Old Market does clearly beat the Court AVe. Historic district. Both cities have their arenas and convention centers in their downtown. The Capitol building is in downtown Des MOines, and provides a nice frontscape to the city.

In terms of retail, Omaha has more retail overall, but Des Moines has attracted some big chains that OMaha does not have such as Cheesecake factory. I do believe the Town Center at Jordan Creek clearly bests any Omaha retail/entertainment district.

Airport: Airline access clearly goes to Omaha's Eppley. with the arrival of low cost carriers Southwest and Frontier, fares out of OMaha are clearly lower and there are more flight options out of Omaha compared to Des Moines Int'l. Omaha does have a non stop to Newark, but Des Moines ones up Omaha with a direct flight into LGA (La Guardia) on American.
Omaha's airport has better freeway access and is located more ideally than Des Moines' International Airport.

Freeways: Des Moines has an advantage with I-235...it goes through the heart of the city, which is the envy of Omaha as they are desparately trying to put a thoroughfare through the city in the way of Dodge AVe, which is still very difficult and costly to do. However, Omaha has a better developed suburban freeway system.

Sports: both are minor league cities.

Arts/Rec: Omaha Zoo clearly is better, but Des Moines has the Living History Farms. Museums are comparable.

Restaurants: Des Moines may slightly edge Omaha in this category, but very very barely. The recent Jordan Creek addition made Des Moines slightly ahead.

Entertainment venues: Qwest center clearly is better than Des Moines' arena/convention center. Qwest is state of the art, provides easy access to the airport.

Economy: Omaha is growing at a faster pace and most of Nebraska's resources are pouring into Omaha. Des Moines has to share its resources with Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities (aka Davenport), Iowa City Coralville, Sioux City, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Dubuque. Meaning the state of Iowa has many more mid sized to large towns than Nebraska. Nebraska only has Lincoln and Omaha.

Overall: Omaha barely wins b/c of job climate, growth rate, and airline access.
But Des Moines wins on several categories...including their downtown skyline and amenities (skywalk system), etc.
Just to let you know I-480 in omaha runs directly through downtown Omaha.
Maybe closer than I-235 does to downtown Des Moines. Plus Dodge is not an avenue its a street.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM

LOL, Nebraska's resources are pouring into Omaha! I doubt anyone and especially Omaha’s city council will agree on that one. Nebraska doesn't exactly have financial resources to pour into a 5 gallon bucket, let alone Omaha. It takes a state which has several or many mid to large sized cities to generate that kind of capital....not sparse population, cornfields and SANDHILLS.

With the Completion of the Wall St. Tower in the next couple years I think Omaha's skyline will win in terms of size and amount of buildings however, Des Moines has a better look to it.

Also, Omaha does have a cheesecake factory.....for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines