Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,250 times

Advertisements

ok lets get this striahgt.commerce city has low income places but its NOT A GHETTO what so ever.Some parts are kind of run down but its not too bad.the places in denver i would stay away are Montbello, Five Points, East Denver, North Denver, Colfax parts of Aurora, and the Colfax parts of West Denver and Edgewater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,250 times
Also, i cannot believe that "LOVE BOATING" person said that Westminster is a bad area. That has some of the nicest neighborhoods in all of Colorado.I personally live on W.Colfax Ave and Xavier Street in the Edgewater/ Denver area and its MUCH more rundown/ghetto then any parts of commerce city, westminster, arvada, or Lakewood.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,092,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west colfax native View Post
ok lets get this striahgt.commerce city has low income places but its NOT A GHETTO what so ever.Some parts are kind of run down but its not too bad.the places in denver i would stay away are Montbello, Five Points, East Denver, North Denver, Colfax parts of Aurora, and the Colfax parts of West Denver and Edgewater.
Oh wait, you left off South Denver as an area to stay away from in your complete coverage of the city! Toss in South Denver you have basically covered the whole city!

We really have no slums or ghettos in the Denver Metro area when compared to other major cities in the U.S. Commerce City gets a bad reputation from being so close to to the Conoco refinery and Purina animal food factory. Some of the oldest historical structures in the Denver metro area can be found in Commerce City, like the Denver Union Stockyard company building, built in 1916 and the Holy Transfiguration of Christ othodox cathedral form 1989. These can be found in the older section of Commerce City along with other historic church and stuctures. So it will give you a sense of how old some of the homes can be in this area. I went to the Parade of Homes last and was surprised with how nice the new section of Commerce City was. This is an old discussion from a year ago but just to put out there that not all of Denver is bad.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,906,775 times
I'm sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but could someone tell me if these houses are in "good" neighborhoods? They seem to be right in the Commerce City area. I'm wondering why these bank owned homes (yes, they probably need $10k in repairs like the floors and walls) are so cheap.

You can click on the "Map This Listing" above the picture to see them on a map

http://www.cohomefinder.com/p/80249/497758.htm

http://www.cohomefinder.com/p/80249/520141-3.chf

Would you live in these areas/houses?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Just saw this other thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...erce-city.html about Commerce City. Sounds like it's the cheap housing of Denver. I guess I'll search elsewhere.

Where can $180K buy you a nice 1500 sq ft starter house, preferably newer than 10 years?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,092,412 times
I would have to suggest that you look into condos verses actual homes for the price and square footage you are seeking. The Lani at 8th and Washington in Capitol Hill/Governor's Park, had a unit on the 5th floor in the 1300 sq foot range for $129K. This is the lowest I have seen condo prices in a long time in this area because it is a "good" area. What all are you looking for other then price and sq footage? Schools? Kids? Age Demograhics? Proximity to Downtown or Burbs? Could be hard to find someting "new" for this price range in Denver, but the Burb folks on this forum might know of an area?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
Just saw this other thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...erce-city.html about Commerce City. ....
Thanks for catching that, I've now merged both into one thread.

s/mike

Old 12-13-2007, 10:57 AM

We are both 26, will be newly weds and no kids. Gross income will be around $100K for both starting out. I'm in IT and she is a RN. We want to start a family in 1-2 years. This will be our first house, so we want something under 200K for sure, but would prefer $175K since we could get a mortgage for around $1,000/month with our money down. We'd like to be able to live comfortably off one income if we need to, since kids are in the picture.

We don't know if we want CO Springs or Denver. Denver sounds nice because it's big and lots of jobs/stuff to do. But we also like the Spring's lower cost of housing and a the size of the town that we grew up in (Grand Rapids, MI). We will be visiting both Springs and Denver at the end of Feburary for a week to get a feel for the area. So until then, just scoping everything out on the interweb

Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,985,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
We are both 26, will be newly weds and no kids. Gross income will be around $100K for both starting out. I'm in IT and she is a RN. We want to start a family in 1-2 years. This will be our first house, so we want something under 200K for sure, but would prefer $175K since we could get a mortgage for around $1,000/month with our money down. We'd like to be able to live comfortably off one income if we need to, since kids are in the picture.

We don't know if we want CO Springs or Denver. Denver sounds nice because it's big and lots of jobs/stuff to do. But we also like the Spring's lower cost of housing and a the size of the town that we grew up in (Grand Rapids, MI). We will be visiting both Springs and Denver at the end of Feburary for a week to get a feel for the area. So until then, just scoping everything out on the interweb
This thread you posted on is actually about Commerce City, one of the suburbs in the north metro area of Denver.

However, I'd say look at what kind of jobs you're able to get. Cost of living is cheaper down in the springs, so if you get a nice job down there, go there. If not, come to Denver; there's a lot more jobs here and the pay is generally better to compensate for the higher cost of living.

As for housing, you won't find too much in a single family home under 170k in the Denver metro area, not in good areas anyway. (average single-family home price here is 250k). You could get a very nice townhouse for 170k. Probably can get a lot more in Colorado Springs. The namesake of this thread, Commerce City, does have affordable newer housing in its northern and northeastern parts, but I doubt anything quite that cheap. Older housing tends to be a better deal, anyway -- if you're handy, perhaps you can find a foreclosure? We have lots of those.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,632,853 times
Default Commerce City....

can some please tell me about the area? Whatever info you can? Schools? Plains? No mtn views? Tornadoes? Nice area? Things to do? Distance to Westminster?
And any other info u have...
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver