Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM

127 posts, read 312,744 times

Advertisements

Hi! I may be moving next year to Parker. Is it a nice area? Are the people friendly? Do they have dog breed restrictions? My dog may be part pit bull, and I don't want to move to an area where she can't live. Thank you all for any input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,803,541 times
Parker has a few different areas, but it is a pretty friendly place. My family chose the Pinery Glen development based on our research and tours of the area. Very nice people, some community activities, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,494,815 times
Parker has a little for everyone. Those who adore tract housing will find endless miles of selections. If you like the trees, then the Pinery is for you. If you want a bit of land, then head to eastern Parker. You can get a place on a few acres on the prairie with sweeping views. Or if you have a bit of coin to put down, you can go to the south east and get a few acres in the hills covered with 100 yr old ponderosa pines. It all depends on what you like and how much you are willing to part with.

The people are generally nice, but there are A LOT of bad drivers during rush hour. If you avoid the rush hours then you will most likely never run into the "chosen ones" You will find most big box stores in Parker and Park Meadows Mall in Lone tree is only 15 minutes away. Overall it is a typical bedroom community.

As for the Dog rules, I'm not sure if Parker is bound by the same Pit Bull rule as Denver. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Nav

Old 12-21-2009, 02:45 PM

151 posts, read 398,250 times
If I had to pick a word for Parker, I'd say sterile. There's nothing too objectionable about it (though I think the traffic in and out is pretty rough, but I haven't seen it recently enough to be able to give you much useful info). At the same time, there's nothing really wonderful about it.

I guess I would ask "Parker or what"? The answer depends on what we're comparing it to.

You'll find the people quite friendly. I can't speak to the pit bull issue.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:46 PM

90 posts, read 368,625 times
I'm not a Parker fan, but that's my own personal preference. It's a safe town with good schools, but for me it's too damn far away from things. You drive 10 minutes away from I-25 through a bunch of nothingness to get to a town built smack in the middle of nowhere. It's also very white, so if you are uncomfortable around minorities then this is the place to live. Not nearly as diverse as Denver. Conservative town. Nice people though. Parker Days is also a great tradition there and it definitely has a sense of community. Good place for a white flight-type of family.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,490,556 times
If I had to pick a word I would says Kansas. If you are not from CA, Parker is not anywhere near to Denver.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 PM

664 posts, read 2,070,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
If I had to pick a word I would says Kansas. If you are not from CA, Parker is not anywhere near to Denver.
It's certainly quite a drive if you worked in Denver, but for a job in DTC or Inverness or even at DIA it's not a bad location. And for the few times you would have to go into Denver (I live in Centennial and may go to downtown Denver a few times a year and I have no problem with that or reason to - depends on what stage of life your in), it is well within driving distance (or light rail via I-25 line). Parker has grown enough to have it's own stores and is quite close to Park Meadows or Southlands that it is no longer isolated and there is no need to go very far.

That being said, Parker is not somewhere I would personally live. If I wanted to live in an outlying community that far out, I would choose Castle Rock first.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,028,358 times
I used to like Parker a lot, but it's grown and I think it's mostly transplants now. If you work in Denver, you're going to have a long drive and on some days you could get snowed in.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:07 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,996,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Kansas? really?

Parker is 25 miles from Denver. If the OP were working in South Denver, DTC, etc it is not a bad commute.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,803,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FentonForche View Post
If I had to pick a word for Parker, I'd say sterile. There's nothing too objectionable about it (though I think the traffic in and out is pretty rough, but I haven't seen it recently enough to be able to give you much useful info). At the same time, there's nothing really wonderful about it.

I guess I would ask "Parker or what"? The answer depends on what we're comparing it to.

You'll find the people quite friendly. I can't speak to the pit bull issue.
People wield words like "sterile", "tract-housing", and "suburban" like they're vile words around here. Never really understood it. Families have lived in that kind of area at least since Levittowns started popping up 60+ years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver