Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM

138 posts, read 600,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all. What can you tell me about Parker, CO? I've searched previous posts but have not been able to find much about it.

I'm wondering what commute time might be to Denver? I heard that Lincoln backs up during morning commute times but that Hess Rd will eventually go to I25 too? The tollway could get expensive.

I see lots of new building...Horse Creek, Idyllwild, etc. and also established neighborhoods. Stonegate was one that looks nice with community pool, school, etc. I've heard that schools are good there.

Is there lots of nearby shopping? Any other drawbacks to the location itself? How will the new Resovoir affect the area and housing prices?

We are comparing this area to Erie and the developments up there. Vista Ridge, Anthem, etc. and both seem pretty far out. Although we have seen lots of nearby shopping in Erie (SuperTarget and all the chains). Not sure how taxes will compare, but I did hear that Weld County schools have had some problems in the past financially? Does that equate to higher taxes now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedfly View Post
Hi all. What can you tell me about Parker, CO? I've searched previous posts but have not been able to find much about it.
Here are a bunch of threads with "Parker" in the title.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=4211156

Here are a bunch of threads with "Parker" in the body:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=4211173

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 PM

13 posts, read 48,753 times
I've lived in Parker since 1996, and it's grown tremendously. Although traffic can be bad, particularly during rush hours, it's not awful. I currently drive downtown (to LoDo) every day from Clarke Farms, a subdivision near Stonegate, and it can take anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes. I would definitely recommend taking E-470 if you are commuting during rush hours (probably 7:00-9:00 and 4:30-6:00) - the tolls will be well worth it. Of course, your commute could be shorter depending on where in downtown you work (e.g. how far north and how far from I-25). Another option is to take the Light Rail downtown from either Lincoln or County Line (the latter could be accessed quickly from E470).
Stonegate is a very well-established community, and I highly recommend it...it would be a better choice than Idyllwilde, which is much further away from everything. Plus, there are some good bargains to be had there currently. Douglas County Schools are excellent. Shopping is very good in Parker, with easy access to Park Meadows and Southlands malls and a variety of big box and independent stores in town. As to the Reuter-Hess reservoir, I can only see it helping housing prices, as it is improving the long-term sustainability of the town's water resources.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Polar opposites - well not Polar -

How does work and play fit into your housing needs?

Erie is a fast growing rural/small town to suburb type, and Parker is a small town/suburb already.

There are lots of places to shop in Parker. Near Parker are the Outlet Shops in Castle Rock and the retail resort of Park Meadows mall in Lone Tree.

Parker is closer to Light Rail, but Erie is closer to Ft. Collins.

Last edited by 2bindenver; 03-20-2008 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: needed space

Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Quote:
Not sure how taxes will compare, but I did hear that Weld County schools have had some problems in the past financially? Does that equate to higher taxes now?
Erie is partially in Weld County, but it's in the Saint Vrain Valley School District: the same as Longmont and Niwot. As far as I know there are no financial issues in that district.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
. . .

Not sure how taxes will compare, but I did hear that Weld County schools have had some problems in the past financially? Does that equate to higher taxes now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Erie is partially in Weld County, but it's in the Saint Vrain Valley School District: the same as Longmont and Niwot. As far as I know there are no financial issues in that district.
St Vrain School District did indeed have a financial crisis in 2002, but subsequently recovered. Do some googling if you want to learn more, but here's one article I found that mentions it: Communication Currents
Quote:
In November of 2002, the St. Vrain Valley School District (SVVSD), one of the largest of Colorado’s 178 school districts, experienced a serious financial crisis. The crisis, coming to light shortly after an election in which the district had passed a $212 million dollar bond to build new schools, involved a $14 million dollar budgeting error.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Does anyone know if there is a Whole Foods or something like it in Parker? I mean, if you can't have Trader Joes....

Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a Whole Foods or something like it in Parker? I mean, if you can't have Trader Joes....
Did you try using google maps? Or the Whole Foods website?

There's one in Highlands Ranch about five miles west of Parker.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM

I did look for a Whole Foods and didn't find one in Parker. That's why I asked. I'm not familiar with what other types of stores there might be. I searched for natural foods, etc. and just came up with some vitamin shops.

Charles, those links didn't work that you posted. But I was able to search and find some helpful information. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Charles, those links didn't work that you posted.
I learned something. I would have thought the search link URLs didn't expire, apparently they do. Anyway, those were searches for "parker" in as a title and as a string in the Colorado forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver