Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,792 times

Advertisements

Wow, why is water so much???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM

13,826 posts, read 30,084,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Wow, why is water so much???
You may have just opened up a can of worms....

I suppose because it is scarce.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,093,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When I rented a 2200 sq ft house, our electric/gas bill was about $100-$150. But so was our water bill.
Good gracious! Our water bill (Denver Water) for an 1800 sq. ft. house is only about $70 bimonthly. Our highest monthly power bill (Excel Energy) was $190, but over the course of the year, it averages about $70/month.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM

535 posts, read 1,416,686 times
What about universities? Does Denver have good law and/or journalism schools?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,837,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
What about universities? Does Denver have good law and/or journalism schools?
Best law school in Colorado is CU-Boulder, but the University of Denver is very well respected too. I have a few friends that received their JD there. Again CU-Boulder for journalism, not sure about Denver schools in that field.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Good gracious! Our water bill (Denver Water) for an 1800 sq. ft. house is only about $70 bimonthly. Our highest monthly power bill (Excel Energy) was $190, but over the course of the year, it averages about $70/month.
Yeah, my water came from Aurora Water, and that was monthly, family of 4, and I let the rain/snow water the grass. The high water bill at the apartment was some third-party company that I don't recall the name of.

At the house, the Xcel bill averaged $100 or so over the year. We're in an apartment now, and the Xcel bill so far has averaged about $70-$80.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,496,526 times
Quote:
Yeah, my water came from Aurora Water, and that was monthly, family of 4, and I let the rain/snow water the grass. The high water bill at the apartment was some third-party company that I don't recall the name of.
Aurora water does cost more than Denver. You also have to pay for trash pick up in Aurora -- whereas it is included as a basic service including recycling with free bins (you can have multiple -- just ask). The beauty of living in an urban part of Denver where you have dumpsters is that if you can fit it in that sucker, they will take it.

Both Aurora and Denver are fortunate in that unlike many areas to the south there is a known supply. I would suggest anyone thinking of moving to the south or southeast of Denver first take a look at the water situation and projections.

As a side note to all of this; I recall a few years back when DPS put us all on water restrictions. These restrictions worked so well that they subsequently jacked our prices up because they were not selling enough water. Damned if you do ...

Most families use around 2000 gallons of water a week. You can find water rates on your providers website and figure out your cost.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Aurora water does cost more than Denver. You also have to pay for trash pick up in Aurora -- whereas it is included as a basic service including recycling with free bins (you can have multiple -- just ask). The beauty of living in an urban part of Denver where you have dumpsters is that if you can fit it in that sucker, they will take it.

Both Aurora and Denver are fortunate in that unlike many areas to the south there is a known supply. I would suggest anyone thinking of moving to the south or southeast of Denver first take a look at the water situation and projections.

As a side note to all of this; I recall a few years back when DPS put us all on water restrictions. These restrictions worked so well that they subsequently jacked our prices up because they were not selling enough water. Damned if you do ...

Most families use around 2000 gallons of water a week. You can find water rates on your providers website and figure out your cost.
Great info.

I'll add, that along with living in Aurora, you have to choose your trash company, there is no municipal service that you must use. And if you want to "go green", you'll have to pay for it, both a monthly fee for recycling pickup and possibly an initial fee just to get the bins. Some companies require you to use their bins, when others could care less what your recyclables in. I recommend Pro Disposal, and would recommend anybody to run, not walk, away from Waste Management.

I'm within the city/county limits of Denver now, but since I'm in a condo complex, trash is taken care of by the HOA's common use dumpsters. In this particular complex, if you want to recycle, be prepared to horde your recyclables, as there is no way to do it from home (which I'm sure is the case in other complexes as well).

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,496,526 times
Quote:
I'm within the city/county limits of Denver now, but since I'm in a condo complex, trash is taken care of by the HOA's common use dumpsters. In this particular complex, if you want to recycle, be prepared to horde your recyclables, as there is no way to do it from home (which I'm sure is the case in other complexes as well).
Denver will not provide recycling services in buildings with more than seven units -- but I know for a fact that they do not always enforce this restriction.

As to the above, I believe a friend paid 70 bucks for the bin and pays 5 bucks a monoth to recycle in north Aurora.

It's also worth reading what you can and cannot recycle. Some things might surprise you -- no plastic bottle lids for instance - and no grocery bags (those can be dropped off at the supermarket in almost all cases).

Accepted Materials

Also interesting are the participation rates. Those hippies in Stapleton have us all beat.

Participation Rate by Neighborhoods

Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Denver will not provide recycling services in buildings with more than seven units -- but I know for a fact that they do not always enforce this restriction.

As to the above, I believe a friend paid 70 bucks for the bin and pays 5 bucks a monoth to recycle in north Aurora.

It's also worth reading what you can and cannot recycle. Some things might surprise you -- no plastic bottle lids for instance - and no grocery bags (those can be dropped off at the supermarket in almost all cases).

Accepted Materials

Also interesting are the participation rates. Those hippies in Stapleton have us all beat.

Participation Rate by Neighborhoods
LOL, there appears to be conclusions that might be able to be drawn from that list.

At least my neighborhood is at 67%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver