Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:59 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times

Advertisements

I like recolorado.com as a local up to date real estate website.

Highlands Ranch is a subdivision not a city, so some listings are under Littleton - try 80126, 80129 & 80130 zip codes.

There are lots of subdivisions in and around Denver that are both beautiful and safe - severe weather is an infrequent, unpredictable factor in everyone's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 AM

51 posts, read 158,891 times
Thank you so much, because I found this area and was like this is my dream area except for the weather then my excitement went lol now it's back !!!!maybe it will happen for us, it just sounds wonderful. how are the taxes there?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM

HAHAHAHA thanks I feel alot better now,and you had my fiance rolling lol

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,830 times
Lakewood is a great area but what is your age, likes, dislikes? Good schools most important, close to downtown, montains, etc... Weather is SUNNY, 300 plus days a year. Weather is wacky but much nicer that NY (I know I lived in upstate 11 years).

Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 PM

I am 22 and my fiance is 26 but we are old souls lol our daughter is 2 months old. We just stay in, I just want a safe, family oreinted community and good schools, I don't like to be secluded but I don't like city life..been there done that but I like to be close to atleast a downtown or a little village and yes nice weather more often is right up my alley. We started looking in this area because everything we want for us and our daughter here in NY is way to expensive, in the areas in CO we've been looking at it seems we can have that and live much more comfortable, and my fiance has some old friends there from when he lived in the springs and his brother just moved from lakewood to about 15 mins away from there.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Maybe you should stay in New York. Your brief posts shows that you can have what you want where you are. Housing is much cheaper in most areas and most cities in NY. New York has cities and regions that are much safer than some areas of Colorado. Children grow up and do very well in New York and have the benefits of top class education.

You are worried about storms???? well, all areas have some kind of weather hazard. You should worry more about Indian Attacks and Marauding Bands of Outlaws.

In New York, you will feel safer and you will not have to deal with the unknown. To move to a new area, you have to have some gumption, some bravery, some push, some drive; and most of all some need and want, that you can define, that cannot be fulfilled where you are living.

Is Colorado better than living in New York???? That is debatable. New York is a varied state and has much to offer; Colorado is a varied state and has much to offer.

WheredoIbelong???? Learn the internet; learn the functions and capabilities--explore vicariously in the comfort of your easy chair, and when you learn more, you can answer your own question--but you have to go bravely and forcefully and face some unknown frontiers, and take risks. If that is not in your nature, then you know where you belong.

I do not want to scare ya, but Coloradans have some small toleration for New Yawkers; but a "Tenderfoot" is put on a mule, backwards, and whipped out of town.

That is my advice, from a former New Yorker,
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-03-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM

where in NY were you ? Well you did put a damper but it's ok , we just need all of that but affordable and NY is so expensive and I just need to find something if we have to renew this lease with my soon to be mother in law im going to KILL someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredoibelong? View Post
where in NY were you ? Well you did put a damper but it's ok , we just need all of that but affordable and NY is so expensive and I just need to find something if we have to renew this lease with my soon to be mother in law im going to KILL someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I lived, went to college, and worked all over New York from NYC, to Buffalo, to the Southern Tier, the "Jewish Alps" of the Catskills and the Hudson. Moved to Colorado, over 30 years ago, from Texas. Somewhere in all that I was in the Army.

Yes, I did want to dampen your enthusiasm. Many people move here with delusions of happiness, when what they most seek is in their backyards. New York has many small idyllic towns and less populated cities that are much cheaper to live then most areas of Colorado, except maybe in remote areas that you surely would not like to live.

If you saying that living in New York is expensive because you are living in or near NYC, then you are correct; but there are many, many other nice places to live that are not comparable to NYC in cost or lifestyle. Have you seen the rest of the state??? other than your immediate region.

You are young and dreaming about "over the rainbow". Colorado is not without big differences and here, the opposite occurs vs. the movie, that they start out with the "color" of Colorado and end up with the "black and white" of disappointment.

You need to explore other roads besides "the yellow brick" path of your imagination. Perhaps you will find "there is no place like home"; that may also apply to your "Toto too".

Livecontent

Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Yes I get what your saying and I like a lot of areas in NY I'm in westchester now I was in the city a few years ago, westchester is crazy expensive, as you go up yes it does get cheaper but it also gets colder and we were trying to avoid that, we have been looking all around trying to see where it is we want to make our lives for our baby and where it would be the best and most comfortable living. I do appreciate your post it makes total sense and I'm not annoyed or anything I like the truth that's why I've been on these boards in a few of the states just trying to speak to the locals to get info to help us out.!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,632 times
I moved from New York four years ago this past July. I grew up in Suffolk County on Long Island and have lived in Manhattan, Queens, Nassau County. I'm a New Yorker at heart but can appreciate what you're looking for - I've found that in colorado. Some areas of highland's ranch can be very busy. Look at parker, colorado. It border's Highlands Ranch to the East and is great for children - I don't have any yet but we hope to in the future. In NY I felt crowded, crime increasing, too much traffic, etc. and I don't feel that here. People are very nice here. however, I do miss visiting the city - good bagels and italian bread. Colorado is also very dog friendly - everyone's dog here is very well behaved and there are dog parks all over the place and lots of areas to ride a bike. There are more lakes than I thought and it seems that everyone has a boat and an RV. There are also 345 days of sunshine - not like NY where it can rain for 7 days straight - i think May is our rainiest month. I hope this helps.

In addition to the above, let me add. It was not easy finding a job out here. The job market was tight before the economy took a dive. I'd also like to add that new yorkers get a bad wrap and those that I've become friends with here in Colorado are open-minded, friendly, confident and outgoing natives or former new yorkers. Many natives here are not as animated they are closed off, non-friendly and have only lived in a very small world so some are quite boring. At work - many are "all work and no play" with very little personalities. I didn't want my wonderful life to seem it was all wonderful without any of the trials that come from re-locating. It definitely is much cheaper here with regard to living - my two bedroom, two bath is about 1,000/mo. You can find cheaper and more expensive. you can find a two bedroom, two bath condo in parker for $140,000 with central a/c, on a park, with a playground and community pool - anywhere in the metro area you'd been spending much more for a rental or a home purchase. Food is comparitive but there's a great farmers market (sprouts farmers market) in town that has deals that would blow NY prices away. There is definitely a "quality of Life" difference and it's much better in parker! Good luck.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-26-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver