Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
This is great data. I just don't get the Colorado Springs suicide rate though. Its a fantastic place. milder weather by just a tad than denver, closer to the mountains, a nice youth population from the AF....I just don't get it.
I personally, might kill myself if I were ever to live in Colorado Springs. The overly conservative/religious/military influences, bad traffic and sprawl, the fact that it's a giant small town/larger city without stuff to do (IMO), could drive me to the breaking point. So glad I chose Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Like I've said before, my theory proves to be true time after time again-- Seattle and Denver are mutually exclusive; those who love Seattle tend to hate Denver and vice versa (although the hatred of the Seattleites towards Denver is worse than the other way around, if you ask me). The lines are drawn. I vote Denver.
Considering the fact that I live in Denver, and I was summertime raised in Seattle, it's about darn time I respond.

Sorry vegaspilgrim, I think we finally disagree. I love Seattle, and care a great deal about Denver as well. Both hold a special place in my heart. They are both great in different ways. If I could combine the two, I would be in HEAVEN, period. I would take Seattle's rain, clouds, summers, Mt. Rainier, Mariners, the metropolitan feel, pines and Puget Sound. I wouldn't take Starbucks, and the snobby people that have to be oh so trendy (this exists in Denver as well, but to a far lesser extent). I would take Denver's snow, winters, Mt. Evans, Rockies (I love baseball), aspens, and 50's brick ranches.

I could be the exception to the rule, but I'll sit out today's congress meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM

99 posts, read 327,728 times
Someone help me here: I have received a tenuous job offer (they have to fingerprint me this month, along with a background check) in Seattle, but I am not too sure that I want to live in an area that has roughly 300 "cloudy" days. (Also included are partly and mostly cloudy days into the equation)

From what I have seen connecting to additional flights, from the skies, and in pictures on here--along with good words from locals and newcomers--Denver just seems to be a great place to be. Furthermore, it has 300 sunny days per year, has an arid feel to it, minus the extreme temps of a Phoenix or Las Vegas, and is only a day's drive from my hometown of Davenport, Iowa. (unlike Seattle, which is a drive that I am not too excited about embarking on) What do you guys think? I am a single, African American male in his 30s, college educated, and looking for a major metropolitan area that's large (1 million+ plus), has affordable rents, lots of single ladies, and great airline connections to major cities around the nation for business and visting family and friends.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:42 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times
How about Denver?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM

351 posts, read 650,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I also disagree that Denver is browner than anywhere. Ever been to Phoenix, Vegas, even Utah or parts of California?
Yep. Pretty brown. Who said Denver was browner than anywhere? Denver's a lot greener than say....oh...Death Valley? Moab?

But Denver's a pretty barren town. Compared to the vast majority of the country, it's bone dry. Some like it. Some leave it. But nobody can seriously say that Denver's lush by any stretch of the imagination (crazy 4 inch rainstorms not withstanding. lol.)

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Yep. Pretty brown. Who said Denver was browner than anywhere? Denver's a lot greener than say....oh...Death Valley? Moab?
Well, you, actually. See below. It's also greener than Phoenix, Albuquerque, most of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada, and a large part of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Actually, Drew, let's go through his list one-by-one:

Dull brown: Denver is extraordinarily dry and brown. Take a trip to...oh I dunno....anywhere?....and then roll on back to Denver. Compare. Contrast. Yeah...Denver's brown.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 36,837 times
sberdrow-What do you have against Denver?? If you don't like it don't come here or respond about it!! Both cities are great, I wouldn't say one is better then the other, it just depneds on the person and what is important to you.

On a personal note, I have lived in Denver my whole life and one thing that really bothers me about Colorado in general is that it is not that progressive. So politics is a whole other issue which I really don't want to get into but it is something to consider when choosing one city or the other.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,987,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Like I've said before, my theory proves to be true time after time again-- Seattle and Denver are mutually exclusive; those who love Seattle tend to hate Denver and vice versa (although the hatred of the Seattleites towards Denver is worse than the other way around, if you ask me). The lines are drawn. I vote Denver.
I don't know -- I've chosen Denver but could see myself one day living in the PNW. I like Portland much better than Seattle, though.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,710 times
Red face Deal Breaker-- Seattle vs Denver

I am a Southern California transplant to the metro Denver area. I have been here 15 years (before the big housing boom). At the time, real estate was cheap in comparison to California prices. I got twice the house for my dollars. In many areas, it has caught up, but there are still good deals around. It was almost too quiet back then. I am in my second home here, near a lake/recreation area...its just beautiful! The weather is great, even when it snows...not too bad. On the other hand, I travel almost yearly to the Seattle/Port Angeles areas. Seattle is also beautiful, energizing, but traffic-traffic-traffic. I just came back from a visit and realized we still have it good here. I do miss the ocean, fabulous seafood and the coolness in the air. The big question for you is mountains vs. the sea. I am not a mountain person, do not ski, etc. I really loved the scenic atmosphere of living near the beach and the water. Now, I am here for family reasons, but hope to make it back to the shore at some point. It will be back to California or outside of Seattle. Hope that helps you decide. Both cities are youthful and exciting in their own way.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 PM

162 posts, read 514,076 times
Denver is brown and yellow(sun) and Seattle is grey(clouds) and green. Which color combination do you like better?

Both ugly colors, the grey and brown have a nice color to counteract them at least.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,418,572 times
I have experienced a little Seattle in Denver with this exceptionally rainy summer that has soaked me, choked me, hailed me, destroyed my roof and gutters; and caused me to have to take many huge trees off my property at more expense.

The worse is that my cranky body complained everyday with swelling, pain, and stiffness. I do not like rain, drizzle and the humidity. Give me sun, lots of sun. Give me heat, warming heat to my arthritic joints. Give me brown and parched landscape. Keep your green landscape; for I know it is the evidence of RAIN.

Having grown up near Buffalo, on the Great Lakes, which gets more rain than Seattle and the heavy snows; I am surprised how much I like the dry semi-arid area of Denver. In fact, if Denver does not behave and dry out from its drunken imbibing in the wet stuff, I will make a move to a drier, and more well behaved weather city--such as Albuquerque.

Beware, if any of you guys are doing a rain dance---you will see a big, fat, ugly man, hobbling in pain, coming to get you.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver