Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM

42 posts, read 178,493 times

Advertisements

[quote=s.data;1125140]

The People:
Seattle hospitality is a mile wide and an inch deep. They are polite and non-confrontational, but passive aggressive as can be. I could go on but here's an article for you to read.
The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease"

Wow! I read this article and, living just outside CHerry Hill, New Jersey can see Seattle would NOT be for me. I'm accustomed to very friendly people. I'm hoping they are friendlier and more REAL in the Denver area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,850 times
[quote=Sters;2600275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.data View Post

The People:
Seattle hospitality is a mile wide and an inch deep. They are polite and non-confrontational, but passive aggressive as can be. I could go on but here's an article for you to read.
The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease"

Wow! I read this article and, living just outside CHerry Hill, New Jersey can see Seattle would NOT be for me. I'm accustomed to very friendly people. I'm hoping they are friendlier and more REAL in the Denver area.
i'm wondering if a lot of american culture is passive aggressive? when i try to look at it from a foreign perspective, for example, it sure looks that way. it seems to me like it's MORE passive aggressive in some places than others, but it seems sort of american, to me. marketing seems passive aggressive. politics seems passive aggressive. etc.. "THIS is what YOU want..." with a smile while they get what they want, "win-win", "don't close doors you may need, so don't say no even though you may not mean yes" ... types of things. american can be a bit of a blend of these in appearance, i imagine. i think some other cultures might be a bit like this, too (not just american). but, when i've been in parts of europe, for example, i've noticed people tend to say it more like they mean it. in NY or boston or philadelphia, people seem, to me, to say it more like they mean it than in many other places in the US i've seen.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM

108 posts, read 387,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world

i'm wondering if a lot of american culture is passive aggressive? when i try to look at it from a foreign perspective, for example, it sure looks that way. it seems to me like it's MORE passive aggressive in some places than others, but it seems sort of american, to me. marketing seems passive aggressive. politics seems passive aggressive. etc.. "THIS is what YOU want..." with a smile while they get what they want, "win-win" ... types of things. american can be a bit of a blend of these in appearance, i imagine. i think some other cultures might be a bit like this, too (not just american). but, when i've been in parts of europe, for example, i've noticed people tend to say it more like they mean it. in NY or boston or philadelphia, people seem to say it more like they mean it than in many other places i've seen.
Well, this passive-aggressive trait manifests more than in the abstract in Seattle. Here's an example, how many times have you gone into a gas station or convenience store, been the only customer, and had the clerk wander off into the back, after seeing you walking toward the counter and knowing that you're about to buy something? How many times have you had someone tell you they'll "get right on it" (regarding any matter) and then never getting back to you; when you call them a few days later to follow up, they "pretend" they don't remember what you'd talked to them about. That kind of thing? The movers when I moved across town, being paid by the hour, literally drove 15 mph following me to my new house. Do people drive under the speed limit in the lefthand lane intentionally slowing down traffic because, well, they're in no hurry, why should anyone else be? One of my questions on another thread was do you experience a lot of this type of behavior in Denver, too? I don't mean every so often, but to the point where you've just come to expect people to act that way?

Last edited by Fallingwaters; 01-23-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwaters View Post
Well, this passive-aggressive trait manifests more than in the abstract in Seattle. Here's an example, how many times have you gone into a gas station or convenience store, been the only customer, and had the clerk wander off into the back, after seeing you walking toward the counter and knowing that you're about to buy something? How many times have you had someone tell you they'll "get right on it" (regarding any matter) and then never getting back to you; when you call them a few days later to follow up, they "pretend" they don't remember what you'd talked to them about. That kind of thing? The movers when I moved across town, being paid by the hour, literally drove 15 mph following me to my new house. Do people drive under the speed limit in the lefthand lane intentionally slowing down traffic because, well, they're in no hurry, why should anyone else be? One of my questions on another thread was do you experience a lot of this type of behavior in Denver, too? I don't mean every so often, but to the point where you've just come to expect people to act that way?
you are describing many people's experiences with denver (as documented by many posts in the denver forum). i, personally, have experienced all of these numerous times in the denver metro area. to the point where i can almost expect much of it. not that it's a patently negative thing, but, frustrating for some people i suppose. in some other places, i have experienced OTHER things - some northeastern cities' cultures seem, to me, to have some "traits" of their own that might be more "assertive" and terse in nature, for example. some places' cultures might even seem downright "obsessive compulsive" or even "borderline" if we're getting "clinically diagnostic" about it. i have also experienced each of the things you mention regarding seattle (but only any single one, typically) regularly on the west coast (CA). it's funny (er, something), because these are all the texbook traits of a passive aggressive or even narcissistic individual, and there are some places where, yes, these can be the norm with people within the culture. someplaces, they can ALL be the norm with people in the culture. so, the "culture" is like a passive aggressive individual...

Last edited by hello-world; 01-23-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

108 posts, read 387,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
you are describing many people's experiences with denver (as documented by many posts in the denver forum). i, personally, have experienced all of these numerous times in the denver metro area. to the point where i can almost expect much of it. in some other places, i have experienced OTHER things - some northeastern cities' cultures seem, to me, to have some "traits" of their own that might be more "assertive" and terse in nature, for example. some places' cultures might even seem downright "obsessive compulsive" or even "borderline" if we're getting "clinically diagnostic" about it. i have also experienced each of the things you mention regarding seattle (but only any single one, typically) regularly on the west coast (CA). it's funny (er, something), because these are all the texbook traits of a passive aggressive or even narcissistic individual, and there are some places where, yes, these can be the norm with people within the culture. someplaces, they can ALL be the norm with people in the culture. so, the "culture" is like a passive aggressive individual...
Likewise, I've experienced other negatives in other areas. Not to sidetrack the thread, as it is a Seattle/Denver comparison, really. The word I use the most to describe Seattle is "solipsistic" -- in other words, people seem to live in a bubble where if something isn't directly affecting them, then it may as well not exist. Likewise, from their perspectives, I think, with the passive-aggressiveness, it's more that "you" (in the abstract) are encroaching on their perceived entitlement to not be bothered -- even if what they're being bothered about is doing their basic jobs. I wouldn't care as much but, when you're paying for something, you kind of want to at least get some basic level of courtesy in return, rather than the passive-aggressive runaround. This solipsism, I think, also contributes to the "Seattle Freeze" (another corny term, really). Some say it's a microcosm of humanity's further disconnection due to technological and other enablers to introversion. Either Seattle's "cutting edge" for this dysfunction, or it's a regional trait that may also be shared by other parts of the country, but is really pronounced here.

Here's a short documentary on the "Seattle Freeze" that's actually kind of funny in an inadvertent way.

YouTube - The Seattle Freeze

Interesting to hear that about Denver. Now I just need to figure out to what degree the two cities differ in this regard.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 44,917 times
Default If you like rain go for it;

Because that's what you'll get in Seattle I know I grew up around Washington state. In Denver you get sunshine and lots of it. Oh yes it snows here but the state really is great for getting the roads clear and with out all of the water when it melts much like Seattle. The highways are ass backwards in Seattle as well so you will have ton's of traffic. You have it here but its a little more put together then Seattle so if you like lots of rain move to Seattle.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 21,916 times
Default Denver or Seattle

I have lived in Denver for 20 years. It is very dog friendly, everyone has a dog here. I personally would not want to live in Seattle because it rains too much. It is the exact opposite here though. I rarely rains and it is very brown here, most of the time, the opposite of Seattle. It is high plains and trees do not grow here naturally. If you are looking for green and lush Denver is not it.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honest mike View Post
Because that's what you'll get in Seattle I know I grew up around Washington state. In Denver you get sunshine and lots of it. Oh yes it snows here but the state really is great for getting the roads clear and with out all of the water when it melts much like Seattle. The highways are ass backwards in Seattle as well so you will have ton's of traffic. You have it here but its a little more put together then Seattle so if you like lots of rain move to Seattle.
honest mike, where do you live that the roads are cleared quickly? Maybe the state highways, and the interstates, but not much else. Last winter, it was a big subject of conversation especially weeks later when streets had not been plowed.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 69,075 times
Default Seattle...friendly?

BASHLEYF,

If you want to escape San Diego because the people are not friendly, DON'T COME TO SEATTLE. You'll be horribly disappointed as in Seattle itll be worse.

People in Seattle are the most reserved, introverted, and unfriendly in the country from my experience. They might be polite at first but don't let it fool you. Read:The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

Read it...every word is true.

I don't know much about Denver but it cannot be worse than Seattle.

Dont come to Seattle. Depression is everywhere there.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM

226 posts, read 577,707 times
As far as the original question: Seattle is my favorite city, and I feel is notches-up from Denver in urban sophistication, and in beautiful geography, but because I love the sun too much, I would choose Denver over Seattle (even with the snow). I feel both cities are progressive, impressive, and high-tech.

As far as mountains, I'm more into the drier, western look you see in Colorado's mountains, with the ponderosa pines and aspens. Seattle has more fir, and thicker forests. However, both Washington and Colorado, and all states in-between, have stunning, western mountain scenery to behold and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver