Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM

291 posts, read 911,909 times

Advertisements

Eco-modpod recommended the same areas I would have, since you're young. As you get familiar with Denver you'll may find other areas you like better. That's part of getting to know a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM

35 posts, read 290,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Stapleton is where you go in your 30's and have kids, want to live close to the urban core and want a new energy effecient home with tons of parks, walkability to shops and close by shopping. The important part of that sentence is kids. Seriously, the place is lousy with them. (no negative insinuations there, just an observation -- I have kids too after all ...)

Lowry is Stapleton for older people so far as I can tell. More spread out, less children, less everything really.

Stapleton is "close-ish" enough to the city -- about 20-25 minute bike or bus ride. If you are coming from Houston you will think that Stapleton is in the city because in comparison to the sprawl in Houston, it is -- but you are missing the opportunity to have so much more a bit closer to the city proper if you don't have to worry about things like schools and playmates.

We moved to to Denver in our early 20's. First to Capitol Hill, later Uptown. Both were and remain fantastic areas for that age bracket (and beyond). You might also want to add the Cheeseman Park area to that list and City Park West, the Broadway areas like Baker too. You really can't go wrong in these areas. TONS of stuff to walk and bike to, concerts (multiple venues) bars, resteraunts, interesting stores and you are a quick bus, 5 dollar cab ride or bike ride to the downtown area proper.

Beyond these areas things get a little quieter and settle down. The areas to the left of downtown, The Highlands etc are all great too -- but they tend to be where people go in their upper 20's to lower 30's when they have dogs but not yet kids.

Here is a map of Denver neighborhoods:

Denver Neighborhood Map

Hit me up with a PM and I can share my phone -- if I happen to be in town the week you all are visiting I'd be glad to take you on a tour myself -- if you can stomach one of my kids tagging along.

I used to live in Stapleton, and I completely agree with steveindenver's assessment. Stapleton is a nice area, but if you don't have kids or don't plan on being a "hip mama" soon, you might want to look elsewhere, as they put Clomid in the drinking water Seriously though, Stapleton is a friendly and safe neighborhood, so if you rent for a year, no harm done.

However, there are a lot of great city neighborhoods in your price range -Highlands would be worth checking out. Your budget gives you a lot of good options. You might want to base your neighborhood on the location of your jobs.

That is so nice of steveindenver to offer to show you around! Overall, Denverians are very nice people!

Since you're moving from out of state, be aware that when you go to get your driver's license you will need to get there an hour before opening to stand in line, or else plan on being there all day. Luckily, you only have to go once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver