Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,794 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NYC to denver in july and am very excited about the recently announced bike share starting up in denver. Currently I ride my bike almost everywhere (to work, shopping, restaurants). I was wondering beyond the separated bike paths going through denver, how is the on-street biking experience? Over the past year new york has added tons of bike lanes which make getting around much easier. I have gotten used to riding in traffic in manhattan but it seems that denver traffic moves a lot faster with wider lanes and less volume. Given the weather and lack of hills denver could be the ultimate biking city for the commuter, but I wonder if the infrastructure is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
There are tons of lanes in Denver and many more bike "routes" that are often not lane marked as such.

I ride everywhere all year from central Denver as far away as Broomfield to the north and the Highlands Ranch area to the south, almost all of it on path, dedicated lanes or routes. I can usually beat the car commuters during rush hour.

Drivers in Denver are *generally* pretty good about the whole thing but watch out downtown just as you do in NY.

Pick up a map of the local routes at any bike shop and ride safe.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,794 times
the bike map looks nicely laid out, but i'm a but skeptical of the bike "routes" which seem to have minimal markings. i guess i'll find out soon enough

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times
I ride all over when I can and you will see that Denver is really not flat, especially West, Northwest and Southwest Denver. East is flatter but you will find tons of bikepaths and parks with roads closed to cars but open only to bikes, runners and walkers.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times
LiveContent just posted a wondefully relevant thread about the paths:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ike-parks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver