Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 20,950 times

Advertisements

Howdy, folks.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on Water Tower Village near Olde Town Arvada? I'm looking into buying a condo or townhouse, and I like the walkability and authenticity of Olde Town. However, I don't know anyone who's lived up there, so I'm wondering what I should know about the area that the web sites won't tell me. What's the crime level like in that community? What sort of people live in Water Tower Village -- professionals, young, old, working class, families, singles, etc.? (I'm wondering if I'd fit in or feel out of place.) Does anyone have any anecdotes about the construction quality or the HOA? The price of homes seems really low in Water Tower Village compared to other "quaint" or walkable communities in the metro area, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if I'd find myself in a bad neighborhood if I moved there.

For context: I'm a single thirtysomething software engineer, currently renting in downtown Denver and working from home. If money were no object, I'd probably snag one of these new condos in Uptown, around 17th and Downing or so. Since I'm somewhat averse to loading up a ton of debt in this economy, I'm looking for less expensive areas where I can get a new-ish (built in the last 20 years) 2+ bedroom (need one for an office) condo or townhouse with some interesting pubs, coffee shops, and restaurants within walking distance.

I'm also taking a look at the Stapleton and DTC areas. Those places are obviously more expensive and have absolutely no quaintness, but I suppose I have a better feel for the demographic of those areas. (I'm probably less yuppie than Stapleton or DTC, but also probably less "Small Town" than Arvada.) Bel Mar looks interesting, but I always get the impression that it's for people who would like to live in a shopping mall. Downtown Littleton doesn't have much condo/townhouse stock, and what it has is too expensive. Golden and Louisville's downtowns also seem pricey, and those places are also a bit far out.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,414,689 times
I know about the Water Tower Development and I have been around there often and I have lived in Arvada for over 27 years. The development was a big urban renewal project and I think fits the area well. However, it has had problems with selling some of the units and some buildings, under multiple developers have turn to renting. I would ask the question, in buying how many are rentals.

This development will be near the Arvada Commuter Rail Station under Fastracks. There are some funding problems with fastracks but this line, called the Gold Corridor, has separate federals funds for a public/private partnership and It is expected to be completed and will be the one the next corridors to commence construction. However, it is near the Arvada Park n' Ride which has excellent service to downtown. Hopefully the rail, will add a great impetus to the area. There are shops, restaurants and stores around Water Town but what it lacks is good grocery shopping, nearby.

The crime around this specific area is not consider a problem now. Years ago before there was other large redevelopments of the area, there was concern of growing crime, but that has diminished since much of the worse area has been demolished. I never really hear that people have problems walking around the old town at any hour. It does not have the type of establishments that attracts a rowdy crowd and of course it is well patrolled with the City Police nearby. I know that I have been at that Park n' Ride over the years, at many hours, and never had a problem. Years, ago the Park n'Ride was really an isolated area near some not good looking building but today all is rebuilt and new, around the transit station.

Would I live there?? I do not like the idea of real good basic shopping, not existing nearby within walkable distance--I am not a fan of fluff expensive stores which are coming into the area. However, there are still many remnants of the older shopping, stores and restaurants that are unique and good value. A new library is in the area and that is nice. You can easily walk to Home Depot, Lowe's and many fast food restaurants. So it does just not have over hyped yuppie stores. Yet, a grocery stores are a just down the road at W58th and Independence. It has nice parks around the area and certainly the homes and neighborhood has a good pastoral ambiance in old town up the hill. That is another problem for me, because I am disabled, is that tiny hill. The neighborhoods of old town, on Grandview ,West 57th, West 58th are just beautiful prime older areas with good schools and in the area is the large parks along Ralston Creek. It is really getting very expensive in this area for these old home. This area was never a crime ridden ghetto and never went into decay. Over the years, people have always been moving into the area of old town and redeveloping.

Livecontent

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM

I know about the Water Tower Development and I have been around there often and I have lived in Arvada for over 27 years. The development was a big urban renewal project and I think fits the area well. However, it has had problems with selling some of the units and some buildings, under multiple developers have turn to renting. I would ask the question, in buying how many are rentals.

This development will be near the Arvada Commuter Rail Station under Fastracks. There are some funding problems with fastracks but this line, called the Gold Corridor, has separate federals funds for a public/private partnership and It is expected to be completed and will be the one the next corridors to commence construction. However, it is near the Arvada Park n' Ride which has excellent service to downtown. Hopefully the rail, will add a great impetus to the area. There are shops, restaurants and stores around Water Town but what it lacks is good grocery shopping, nearby.

The crime around this specific area is not consider a problem now. Years ago before there was other large redevelopments of the area, there was concern of growing crime, but that has diminished since much of the worse area has been demolished. I never really hear that people have problems walking around the old town at any hour. It does not have the type of establishments that attracts a rowdy crowd and of course it is well patrolled with the City Police nearby. I know that I have been at that Park n' Ride over the years, at many hours, and never had a problem. Years, ago the Park n'Ride was really an isolated area near some not good looking building but today all is rebuilt and new, around the transit station.

Would I live there?? I do not like the idea of real good basic shopping, not existing nearby within walkable distance--I am not a fan of fluff expensive stores which are coming into the area. However, there are still many remnants of the older shopping, stores and restaurants that are unique and good value. A new library is in the area and that is nice. You can easily walk to Home Depot, Lowe's and many fast food restaurants. So it does just not have over hyped yuppie stores. Yet, a grocery stores are a just down the road at W58th and Independence. It has nice parks around the area and certainly the homes and neighborhood has a good pastoral ambiance in old town up the hill. That is another problem for me, because I am disabled, is that tiny hill. The neighborhoods of old town, on Grandview ,West 57th, West 58th are just beautiful prime older areas with good schools and in the area is the large parks along Ralston Creek. It is really getting very expensive in this area for these old home. This area was never a crime ridden ghetto and never went into decay. Over the years, people have always been moving into the area of old town and redeveloping.

Livecontent

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,485,917 times
So good he posted it twice!

I like the area, LiveContent points out some flaws although I suppose you could walk to Costco and grocery shop there .... a bit of a stretch.

There are plenty of bike lanes and paths that connect that area to the rest of Denver and close proximity to the nearby park with the Johnny Roberts Disc Golf course (Memorial Park?) should you ever decide to take that up.

One thing to keep in mind; train noise. Trains run through there on a regular basis. Personally I love the sound of trains; it puts me to sleep. And having lived down the street from a fire station for many years I can tell you, eventually you can get used to anything and not even hear it.

If you work downtown commuting on a bike from that area is not out of the question. You can do it entirely on lane and path or take the shortcut up Lowell and through the highlands. Figure < 30 minutes to the ballpark for someone on a decent roadie/hybrid in decent shape. Faster than a car some days.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM

I do not know how I posted this twice--got me.

SteveinDenver is always good about the biking. I wish I can still do that. There are biking routes along Ralston which are nice and it will lead you into Clear Creek, which is a big bike trail from Golden to the Platte.

When I drive downtown, I never take the highway, I just go through North Denver; I like the scenery and the food. That is important to note, you are really very close all those in happening neighborhoods in Berkeley and Highland.

I forgot about Costco and Sam's Club across the street--I do not go to "pay to shop" stores because Costco is too much of the gentry, and Sam's Club is just too much. However, there is some talk on the street about the closed "Brooklyn's in front of water tower turning into a little market. But, I believe the movie theatre is going out and a bigger grocery will move in.

It is true, the train tracks are right there and are used heavily. It will get two other tracks alongside when the commuter rail is built. Arvada just completed an overpass over Wadsworth that takes in Grandview and the tracks; that will open up an older neighborhood to the east with some nice looking homes, that need some work. I like the sound of trains; I live about 1/3 mile north of the same tracks but about 2 miles NNE so I can attest to the frequent use.

Another idea can be floated is when the rail comes--housing near the stations will increase in value--so it is a good time and place to make that investment.

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 20,950 times
Livecontent, thanks for the detailed and insightful feedback. Your thoughts on the crime levels make me feel a bit better about the area. I'm mostly concerned about home burglaries and such, since I'd like to be able to leave my home for a month or two at a time and not worry too much about it getting broken into.

It would be nice to have a regular grocery store or even a convenience store close, but I guess I can't have everything. I probably wouldn't be walking to the Costco or Sam's and hauling back gallon jars of mustard and the other bulk items they sell at those places.

Steveindenver -- thanks for the heads up on the train noise. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and tend to not be distracted by things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver