Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 08:33 AM

16 posts, read 70,679 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a city/neighborhood in the Denver area that sounds very similar to what the original poster of the "walkable" thread described. Of all the research I've done within this forum, Golden seems most promising. However, Arvada keeps coming up, too, with mixed reviews.

Is Arvada truly walkable, or are the "new developments" within it what are being considered walkable? Do they actually have charm? The houses might be a bit smaller, but that doesn't necessarily equal charm in my eyes. Custom built doesn't equal charm, either.

I think what constitutes charm is undefinable. Alexandria, VA, has a huge dose of it though.

Another question about Arvada -- is it flat or rolling? Does it sprawl and bleed into other Denver areas or is it somewhat contained and definable?

mtnsky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Arvada does have a few ponds, a little hill here and there...not flat.

There is nothing here like Alexandria or Bethesda...the Denver metro area is not like that. Folks don't flee the area in the summer for the ocean every Friday. They scatter in all sorts of directions for various reasons.

Me I got tix to the NWSS for Saturday the 13th - my favorite event is mutton busting! Woo Hoo! http://nationalwestern.com/nwss/home/index.asp (broken link)

Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Default Arvada

Arvada does have "Olde Town", and it's a desirable area, but if you're expecting Alexandria you're going to be disappointed. The newer developments in Arvada would certainly not fit in a "charming, walkable" communitiy but it's historic core might. That being said I think you should check it out as you might like it.

If you want something like the feel of Alexandria you're going to have to look in Denver proper, or in Boulder. As you mentioned Golden is quite walkable too, but I'd say that Golden is less Alexandria and more like small-town main street.

The Denver area generally is more sprawling than East Coast cities, and you're a lot less likely to find an Old Town Alexandria outside of the core cities like Denver and Boulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsky View Post
I am looking for a city/neighborhood in the Denver area that sounds very similar to what the original poster of the "walkable" thread described. Of all the research I've done within this forum, Golden seems most promising. However, Arvada keeps coming up, too, with mixed reviews.

Is Arvada truly walkable, or are the "new developments" within it what are being considered walkable? Do they actually have charm? The houses might be a bit smaller, but that doesn't necessarily equal charm in my eyes. Custom built doesn't equal charm, either.

I think what constitutes charm is undefinable. Alexandria, VA, has a huge dose of it though.

Another question about Arvada -- is it flat or rolling? Does it sprawl and bleed into other Denver areas or is it somewhat contained and definable?

mtnsky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver