Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times

Advertisements

Nice pics again Vegas! Do you remember seeing Mataam Fez in that stretch or maybe it's further east. What happened to The White Spot and Sushi Heights?

I'm a little erked that the Tattered Cover had to go and "franchise"... but, it's probably a good thing in some ways.

The mother of a member of the band Roots Redemption ran one of those restaurants down there. I think it was near the Ethiopian place, but it was Jamaican. Jerk chicken I think. And goat! Yum... Irie! Bloodclot! My brother hung out with them. They lived in Kingston for a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM

968 posts, read 1,039,305 times
Yum. Cafe Star. Hands down the best brunch in Denver.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM

65 posts, read 212,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Not true, Colfax has been gentrified to at least Monaco for years.

It is not unsafe anywhere in my opinion. Past Yosemite it does get "Hispanic" until you hit Fitzsimmons, but that does not translate to dangerous.

There are pockets from 20th to 13th that can be sketchy at night east of Yosemite; generally around the high density buildings but Colfax itself is well trafficked, well lit and policed heavily.
Ding ding, Agreed on all counts here. I've walked sections of Colfax on both east and west of Monaco, and there's nothing to be worried about. It may look a little worse because of the Motels, but I haven't felt unsafe at any time. Additionally, the people in the businesses that I've been to in that area have been some of the friendliest I've met here so far.

I'll take going around that stretch of Colfax over the Cherry Creek area any time...well, if they had more places to go to, at least.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I've been wondering about that. I also heard they recently started doing $5 bottomless mimosa's on Sundays!!

I'll have to check it out soon, it's in my hood.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
I've been wondering about that. I also heard they recently started doing $5 bottomless mimosa's on Sundays!!

I'll have to check it out soon, it's in my hood.
Their version of eggs benedict is great. The shrimp and grits is delicious. My favorite though is the smoked trout hash.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm a little erked that the Tattered Cover had to go and "franchise"... but, it's probably a good thing in some ways.
What do you mean by this?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolife View Post
Actually, I'll take issue with that. I bought in the Ruby Hill neighborhood and Ruby Hill proper has a lower crime density than the areas surrounding the Mississippi and Federal corridors. I researched the crime density maps from DPD before buying. I do have an alarm system, but I have not been a victim of crime in my first 6 months here. It's actually a quiet neighborhood and I still have great proximity to some of the more posh neighborhoods (Pearl Englewood and Wash Park).
You are correct, Ruby Hill is not as bad as the surrounding areas and it is improving significantly from what it used to be. But the surrounding areas still have the highest crime rate and lowest property values in the city. Are you on the east side or west side of the neighborhood? You can't move out some of the government projects from the west side of Federal in Westwood but both areas are still filled with primarily older residents who were the first to live in these post war era homes. However, the traffic that collects on Federal Blvd. is not one I would recommend to anyone, just like I would not recommend living close to Colfax in Capitol Hill. Going there for food and entertainment is much different then living near by, mostly for piece of mind. My dad used to own a few apartment complexes in both Ruby Hill and Westwood and we always had issues with the renters, this was about 30 years ago though. I found an older article, but still applicable.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8016269?source=rss

We really don't have any ghettos or slums in Denver when you compare us to cities our size or larger. But for crime stats:

http://www.denvergov.org/2007CrimeSt...8/Default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Nice pics again Vegas! Do you remember seeing Mataam Fez in that stretch or maybe it's further east. What happened to The White Spot and Sushi Heights?
Matam Fez is still there - WWW.MATAAMFEZ-DENVER.COM , Sushi Heights is under new management and has a different name, the White Spot that was on Speer and Colfax is now the Denver Diner

The mother of a member of the band Roots Redemption ran one of those restaurants down there. I think it was near the Ethiopian place, but it was Jamaican. Jerk chicken I think. And goat! Yum... Irie! Bloodclot! My brother hung out with them. They lived in Kingston for a time.
The Etheopian place at Colfax and Humbolt is now the Streets of London but there are still some on Colfax. I like the one just a few blocks east of Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Yes, love Cafe Star for brunch or dinner. Not fond of Mezcal though. Food didn't have enough spice for me but the atmosphere was cool.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Mezcal blows. Not a big fan at all.

Tried the Ethiopian joint down the street last month. I was weary about trying it at first but was glad I gave it a chance. What a unique and amazing dining experience!

I usually hang out at Atomic or Goosetown Tavern.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM

91 posts, read 340,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What I think would be really cool would be to photograph the next stretch to the east-- getting into the grittier parts of east Denver and downtown Aurora. That's where it really hasn't changed much in years, other than the ethnic composition of the demographics. Only thing is I don't feel safe walking too much farther east on that road-- especially in the Aurora section-- especially with a camera in hand.
Colfax, from Colorado east to Monaco has changed a lot, although there is definitely room for improvement. This stretch of Colfax is surrounded by some nice neighborhoods including Park Hill and Mayfair (the 17th Ave Parkway which boasts some impressive historic mansions runs just 2 blocks north of Colfax along this stretch).

Some of the highlights of this stretch are The Elm bar and grill (great bar--especially for Red Sox fans), Geez Louise coffee shop, The Cork House (they have a great outdoor patio for Sunday brunches when the weather is nice), Solera Restaurant (critically acclaimed but I've never been there because it seems a bit upscale), The Phoenician Kabob (mediterranean food), Mod Livin (if you're in the market for funky furniture), Thick as Thieves (one of the better tattoo shops along this stretch of Colfax), and Senor Rita's (Mexican food and margaritas). There are also some newer buildings near Krameria, but nothing really worth taking a picture of (although Hubcap Annies seems like an interesting place).

East of Monaco, there isn't really a whole lot of new development until you hit the Aurora Arts District just east of the Denver/Aurora border. This area is also home to La Cueva (one of the best Mexican restaurants in the city). Someone mentioned earlier that they liked the funky atmosphere of Mezcal but not the food. La Cueva as both a cool atmosphere and great food (and fewer hipsters).

Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Tried the Ethiopian joint down the street last month. I was weary about trying it at first but was glad I gave it a chance. What a unique and amazing dining experience!
Which one did you try? there's so many on East Colfax. I tried this place called "Axum" just east of Colorado that I really liked; actually much better IMO than Arada (the place that used to be on East Colfax but then moved to Santa Fe). But there's got to be at least a dozen others on East Colfax I haven't tried yet.

By the way, this is a great thread -- about time that Colfax gets the respect it deserves on city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver