Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 04:10 AM

8,965 posts, read 20,391,085 times

Advertisements

It really seems as if most, if not all, people who reply to questions about the Denver metro area have (somewhat) of a very different opinion about weather, what to drive here, where to live here, etc., ect. than my wife and I do. We have not lived here for "years" like some of the people who answer questions here have, but we have been here for 4 1/2 years and that "should" qualify us to KNOW SOMETHING. But, since it seems like we are continuously being critized for what tell people who are inquiring about moving to Denver metro area........we are done giving our opinions/advice.

We know that there are people that move to an area/State because of what they are told about that area/State, then (sometimes) get upset because they moved and found that it wasn't totally like what they were told......and they move out. This is what happened to my wife when she was told by her sister to leave Detroit, Mich and come to Southern California. "The weather is so much better here" she said, but what she didn't tell here was about the large population, crime, cost-of-living and traffic. My wife moved, didn't like what she found and moved some years later (with me to here/Denver metro). Other folks listen to other folks, make the move and totally love where they have moved to.

So, any inquiries can read any of our replies (posted by LoveBoating) concerning Colorado, read the other replies and then make your own decisions on where to move. One thing to remember, by just visiting an area, you won't get the total "feel" for the area unless you live there for a year. That IS the last advice we will give.
Thanks and GOOD LUCK in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 11:33 AM

83 posts, read 954,327 times
What is the point that you are making here? Are you telling people to not ask questions but just find out for themselves? I have spent my entire live in Detroit, and the crime is really bad here, hard to believe there places much worse, I think that you need to look at things more subjective or are you saying Colorado is not the place that hundreds of people have commented on in these forums?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:02 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,457,558 times
I think it is best to leave this rant alone.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The fact that more people move here each year than move away speaks volumes.

The fact that most posters enjoy the lifestyle Colorado offers, and choose to live *here* versus anywhere else, speaks volumes.

It is my wish that only happy people choose to live and work or retire here in Colorado. Anyone who is not happy, may their house sell quickly, at fair market value, pay the 1% withholding to the state, (it's temporary until you file your state tax return) and find happiness in some other state.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 PM

13 posts, read 66,273 times
Default Smoke & Mirrors

*More people move here than away each year* ...perhaps people can't move away because they can't sell their homes? *Who* are these people who can sell their homes quickly and leave???

Perhaps people keep moving here because they don't know that the summers are hot (despite claims to the contrary, 106 degrees is hot), the winters are cold--all I ever heard prior to moving here was, "It never snows in Denver, and if it does happen to snow, it melts right away!" Not to mention, when it snows, they don't clear the roads!

Let's not even start on the traffic, the gang activity, the high rate of pedestrian fatalities due to idiots who shouldn't be driving, the pollution (Superfund and Brownfield sites all over, the "brown cloud") and the fact that it can take many hours to get to and from the ski resorts (again, traffic).

Denver grew too large, too quickly, and Denver and the surrounding communities failed to plan for this growth. You expect congestion and pollution in CA and large cities. I didn't expect so much of either in Denver.

I commend LoveBoating for posting information that may be helpful to people considering a move to Denver. I certainly would have appreciated information from someone who wasn't blinded by the smoke & mirror effect of this city.

It seems 2BinDenver (a realtor) has a vested interest in trying to attract more clients to Denver.

Reply all you want...but I am finished reading the Denver boards. As soon as I sell my home (in Stapleton, so it should sell quickly), I am out of here! Please don't waste your time PM'ing me, as any responses will be deleted w/o being read.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:43 PM

53 posts, read 492,101 times
Hmmmm... Interesting... Personnally I think everyone should go into any expereince with their eyes wide open. and to do that you need to see both sides of teh coin. I know there are a lot of people who love where they live, and there are people who donot love where they live. LIKELY if you are in a forum about a particular place, you will run inot people who LIKE the place the forum is about, but the people who donot like it have valid opinions too. So I am sorry you (Iloveboating) have been attacked or feel like you are being attacked when you present your opinions on Denver. Personally I am glad you have had the guts to present an opinion which is contrary to what other peoples opinions are.

The bottom line is this. All posters should respect the OPINIONS of other posters..

Just because a LOT of people love denver does not mean everyone will, nor does it mean everyone should. Nor does it mean someone who does not love it is wrong about their opinions or experiences in Denver. I doubt there is any one perfect place to live. Anyplace people choose to live will have something that people dislike about it, and the key is to minimize the things you dislike and maximize the things you do like.

It is obvious that the things that ILoveBoating likes and dislikes do not align well with Denver. Well if even one person comes on to the boards and finds that their likes/dislikes align with those of ILoveBoating, and decides Denver is not the place for them , then that is a good thing. it has saved that person from movnig to a place they ultimately would find they did not like. Life is short, making a major life decision like moving to a new place should be made with complete information, wether you agree with that opinion or not does not invalidate that opinion.

Personally I hope I loveboating will not withdraw from these forums, as I believe everyone should hear both sides to things....

On a related note... I have been in Texas most of my life, boating is huge there, whether water skiing, tubing, just relaxing on the water, fishing, etc... Texas has tons of lakes, and they are easily accessable from most cities... Sure it gets hot in the summer.. all the more reason to be out on the water.. If I was serious about living on a lake, and boating I would definantly look into Texas. East Texas is very nice, and full of lakes, moderate winters, hardly any snow ever, and some nice towns.. I have waterskiied in January before... (ok full wet suit, but still I was in the water) My grand parents had a lake house on a small lake outside Tyler and it was great. Not trying to talk you out of NC or anything, just sharing my expereinces...

(I however would never again live in Houston, and I have shared my opinions on that place plenty with people considering moving there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: