Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 24,790 times

Advertisements

I live on the East Coast in an area of horrible pollution, miserable humidity, and over all poor air quality. I am allergic to mold so all the humidity makes me miserable. I have constant sinus pressure, congestion, postnasal drip and always have a scratchy throat. I vacation in Las Vegas often, and within an hour of stepping off the plane, the pressure is gone, I can breathe completely, my voice even totally changes. My assumption is it's the low humidity and lack of mold in a desert.
Has anyone had the same experience moving to the low humidity of the Denver metro area? I don't know if elevation and the barometric pressure have any impact on this? Considering Las Vegas is below sea level, I might not have the same reaction in Denver???
Also, I am assuming the pollution level is less than the pollution level of the Philadelphia metro area??? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Default Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becauseiwantit View Post
Considering Las Vegas is below sea level
Elevation of Las vegas, NV is 665 meters
Elevation fo Denver, CO is 1608 meters

Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,918,861 times
As davebarnes said, Vegas is at about 2000' elevation, and the Denver metro area varies from roughly 4500' to 6200'. If mold is your only allergy you'll probably be better here. Denver also has a moderate problem with ragweed. Overall, though, Denver is typically one of the better cities for allergy sufferers.

Sinus infections can still be an issue here because the air is so dry.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,582,315 times
Here is a link to compare city air quality: Home - State of the Air 2014 | American Lung Association

Old 02-01-2015, 12:57 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,131,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
As davebarnes said, Vegas is at about 2000' elevation, and the Denver metro area varies from roughly 4500' to 6200'. If mold is your only allergy you'll probably be better here. Denver also has a moderate problem with ragweed. Overall, though, Denver is typically one of the better cities for allergy sufferers.

Sinus infections can still be an issue here because the air is so dry.
Not to nitpick, but your altitudes are low on both ends. Evergreen is about 7200 ft. above sea level and Brighton is nearly 5,000 ft above sea level.

Because there is much more vegetation here, Denver is worse than Las Vegas. Besides ragweed, there is a major pine/spruce pollen problem (my personal hell).

Old 02-01-2015, 02:01 AM

I do have issues with ragweed but mold is definitely the worst. How long is the ragweed season? I generally don't have issues with pollen but our plant life is very different than yours. Not a lot of pine trees around here unless it's a Christmas tree farm. We have oak, maple, elm, hickory, etc.

I need to have words with my mother! She grew up in Las Vegas and has always said the valley was below sea level. Now I'm the one the sounds like an idiot, lol.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,687,102 times
There is a valley near Las Vegas that is below sea level -- Death Valley. Badwater Basin is 282 feet below sea level. But I doubt that's what your Mom meant.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,018,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becauseiwantit View Post
I live on the East Coast in an area of horrible pollution, miserable humidity, and over all poor air quality. I am allergic to mold so all the humidity makes me miserable. I have constant sinus pressure, congestion, postnasal drip and always have a scratchy throat. I vacation in Las Vegas often, and within an hour of stepping off the plane, the pressure is gone, I can breathe completely, my voice even totally changes. My assumption is it's the low humidity and lack of mold in a desert.
Has anyone had the same experience moving to the low humidity of the Denver metro area? I don't know if elevation and the barometric pressure have any impact on this? Considering Las Vegas is below sea level, I might not have the same reaction in Denver???
Also, I am assuming the pollution level is less than the pollution level of the Philadelphia metro area??? LOL
Awesome you ask this, I have the same post nasal drip and I do have allergies, and frequent sinus infections that seem to come out of nowhere. I live on the East Coast also. I am wondering myself now if I have a mold sensitivity that I was unaware of! I hope you keep us updated about if you move, how that changes your medical condition. I would be interested to know, because I am also considering a move out West. Thanks

Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM

694 posts, read 1,041,095 times
You may want to consider Gila Bend, Arizona. I never had a problem with allergies when was I stationed there.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 PM

I have a family member relocating to Denver because of a work transfer. I've been wanting to move west but I'm not the type that can pick up and move to a new state without knowing anyone. If I could choose, I'd be going to Las Vegas. I know I feel great there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver