Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's another one of my infamous photo tours. This will be the last one for a while, I promise. This is dedicated to Parker Rd (which becomes Leetsdale when you enter Denver and Glendale), also known as CO state highway 83. As anybody who has to drive on this road knows, it's a road you both love and hate (usually more on the hate side). Parker Rd is basically the mainstreet of the southeast metro area. It connects what is now the east part of "central Denver" (Cherry Creek/Hilltop/Glendale/Colorado Blvd area) to central and southeast Aurora, Parker, Franktown, and then continuing all the way to Colorado Springs. For most of its length, this state highway parallels the Cherry Creek, with many stretches of beautiful views of mountains and plains. On the other hand, this road has historically been one of the most traffic congested roads in the Denver metro area (though this has tremendously improved with the reconstruction of the I-225 and Hampden interchange), and also one of the most dangerous and accident prone. The built environment along this road ranges from sleek and modern to downright ugly, asthetically.

However, this road also happens to have some of the highest concentrations of ethnic diversity in the metro area. The only other roads that compare are Colfax and Federal, and IMO Parker/Leetsdale has an even wider range of ethnicities and nationalities represented. When you look beyond the aesthetic ugliness, you can find strip mall after strip mall packed and loaded with gems. You'll also find dozens and dozens of typical all-American bar and grill places, and many of these places have been around for decades, well before I was born (ok, I'm pretty young, but that's still very impressive for an independent business to operate for decades). You can see firsthand evidence of many of the changes that have happened over the years in my photos. Here goes:

Here's a link to the flickr thumbnails page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8392261@N03/sets/72157605453815170/ - broken link). Since this is the same theme as my Iliff Ave photo tour yesterday, you can post your comments to the comment thread there.

This is a recently abandoned, OLD gas station right by the entrance to Cherry Creek state park at Quincy. This gas station was known for being the only place in Denver where you could find 93-octane gas.

The Emerald Isle, one of those mainstay bars I was talking about that has been around for decades. They have a huge patio in the back with a beautiful view of Cherry Creek Dam and the mountains.

Various scenes of interest from strip malls:

Casa Vallarta has been there for years, too. The owner's son went to high school with me.

View of the recently constructed freeway-like Parker Rd. I wish I had a picture of what this looked like before.

Fun fact-- the shopping center where this Mexican restaurant is located (Regatta Plaza-- anchored by a King Soopers) was the setting of a Dog the Bounty Hunter episode.

Table Steaks (they may have recently changed the name though), another Aurora institution.

This is the original Sonoda's. It didn't start in some hip location downtown... it started right here in a strip mall in Aurora.

This place used to be called Chessapeake Bagels...

Excellent Indian food. I've eaten here many times. Other than Ghandi's (an Indian restaurant in the Tech Center that went out of business several years ago), this is the best Indian food in Denver, IMO.

Okay, I recycled this shot-- this is one of the best looking office buildings in Denver, IMO.

I just love this gas station/convenience store. The Barn Store. lol. This also was in my Iliff tour.

This biker bar has also been around for decades.

Caledonia's-- one of the (only) top nightlife spots in the SE metro area, for decades. They have a huge volleyball court too.

I've eaten here before-- if you're looking for the "real thing," here it is.

The Islamic Center, heart of Denver's Muslim community.

I believe this place used to be an Ethiopian restaurant. Since they went out of business, that is one culture that Parker Rd lacks that requires a trip to Colfax to experience.

A brand new townhome development on an infill site. Over the last 10-15 years, I've noticed this whole stretch of Parker Rd change from a semi-rural open highway feel to a built-out urban/suburban street.

The (in)famous Monaco lanes-- serving generations of Denver bowlers.

Another Denver mainstay.

This place has also been here a long time. From what I hear, sushi was popular in Denver years before it became a national fad like it is today.

G Dub. I have a lot of friends who went there. It's a good school with an IB program, but unfortunately it's very segregated; half black, half white. I remember when the African American students had a walk out.

This little hut here has been a whole bunch of different things in its history. I remember it used to be fish tacos place.

This liquor store recently went out of business, unfortunately. Fortunately, they kept their awesome neon Broncos sign. Maybe if the Broncos do better this year people will drink more?

A great example of 50s/60s ranch house architecture. I want to own a house exactly like this someday (minus the bluegrass lawn, of course).

So far this neighborhood, just south of Hilltop (south of Alameda) has managed to avoid most of the tear downs that have plagued the neighborhood to the north. It's probably only a matter of time though, given the location.

Contrary to popular belief, this is a Greek Orthodox church, not a mosque. They have their annual Greek festival coming up soon.

The Jewish Community Center. I call that whole strech of Alameda (just a little bit north of Leetsdale) "Religion Row."

A beautiful church, also Greek Orthodox I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

An example of the "seedy" side of Glendale.

Jack Casey's 4 mile house sports bar, another Denver mainstay.

Yes, this is Denver, not New Mexico. Awesome building.

That is cholla cactus you are seeing there. I have no idea why cholla is not more popular in Denver landscaping; it looks awesome and the plant grows naturally just a bit south of here around Pueblo.

Anybody who has lived in Denver for at least 10 years has probably eaten here at least once.

As much as I like Monday night football, I think they're right! Especially the way the Broncos have played the last two years.

This is a funky corner park at the place where Leetsdale Ave ends, merging with Alameda and Colorado Blvd. Time to turn back around.

An example of the low-income housing that characterizes Glendale. But not all of it...

Look at this beautiful, brand new high rise condo building. That could easily be in Las Vegas, LA or San Diego.

The Four Mile House, one of the oldest buildings in Denver (established 1859 I believe). I went to the museum there once when I was a little kid.

Here's our first glimpse of Denver's Russian (and other former USSR countries) community, which is huge. I had tons of Russian speaking friends at high school and used to volunteer at a place that served primarily Russian speaking immigrants. Some people would start talking to me in Russian (every word in the language sounds like "mush shmushzinska" to me)... I'd have to respond "me no speak ruski."

I've never eaten here... any opinions? I've seen this in Tucson, too.

Colorado ski and golf is a fun store. It's owned by the Gart family (Gart Sports before they sold the business to Sports Authority).

This shop has also been there for years-- I've been going there since I was a little kid renting skis for the bunny slope at Mary Jane.

From this point on, you will see more examples of how huge the Korean community is in Aurora.

Denver truly is a beautiful city, and the weather is awesome with everything it throws at us.

This is on Dartmouth, a side street that connects Parker with Havana.

I'm not Christian, but I'm fascinated with these strip mall churches.

This place has been here for years, too.

This was originally a Fuddruckers, I believe. It goes to show how many strip malls full of chains can diversify into independent restaurants as time goes on.

This place used to be La Fogata Mexican restaurant, hence the Mexican theme. Now it's an Asian buffet, I believe.

I believe this is pronounced "Har Mart."

Denver meets Korea.

Please leave me your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,680 times
Nice tour of the area. This is becomming one of my favorite areas of the city. I haven't moved yet, but I am considering this area now more than ever. Stayed down by the Greek Orthodox Church last July, enjoyed the diversity, and the convenience of getting to/from downtown by RTD. Thanks again for the tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver