Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I appreciate the kind words! Cool story on Harley Brimsfield. A few notes on Zeppelin for the above poster June72.

The first concert that they ever played in the States was in Denver, believe it or not. Day after Christmas 1968, they were added on the bill with Spirit and the Vanilla Fudge. Spirit's song "I Got A Line On You" had just hit the charts, earlier in 1968 they had their first release, simply called "Spirit." the Vanilla Fudge actually peaked after their Denver appearance, by 1970 they were breaking up.

The concert was at the old Coliseum, which had all the acoustics of Carlsbad Caverns National Park. But us music fans all agreed to this basic observation--"The place is a dump, but it's our dump."

Anyway, they also came to Denver in 1970, 1972, and 1973. I didn't go to the 1970 show (just had knee surgery), went to the others. They were just high energy and a half, these three shows were absolute sellouts. They were just amazing shows!
Thanks for sharing! Did you happen to keep any memorabilia of any of these shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM

36 posts, read 87,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgicmike_88 View Post
The Scotchman was always on the agenda during the weekends after the races were done at Englewood on Saturday nights and Lakeside on Sunday nights. Also... How many folks out there went to Malibu Grand Prix and took a few laps and played some of the video games??? I spent the better part of week nights getting my speed fix to the tune of over 6000 laps during the time the place existed. Any other race fans out there with some great memories??

My dad used to take my brother and me to Englewood. We used to like the figure 8 races, which seem like an insane thing by today's standards, collisions guaranteed. I remember they also did demolition derbies as well as regular oval track races. All of the cars were stock, just modifed for more power. And it was loud, we lived about four miles away from the track and we could hear it from our house.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 7,604 times
Not sure you are aware but Colorado National Speedway near Dscono is a paved track with F-8 racing. Saturday nights during the race season at Englewood was the place to be. Great racing, large fields of cars in all divisions. The "wildest show on wheels was the tracks motto, and it lived up to it. Thanks for the reply!!!

Old 03-15-2021, 09:11 PM

36 posts, read 87,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgicmike_88 View Post
Not sure you are aware but Colorado National Speedway near Dscono is a paved track with F-8 racing.

If I remember it right, that used to be a dirt track that had sprint car races, back in the '80s. I used to go to sprint car races there with my brother.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
Smile Lowry AFB, Aurora, Frontier Airlines

I lived in Aurora for a few years in the early 60s. Was in the AF at Lowry and then worked for Frontier Airlines. Trying to remember the name of the country and western nightclub on far East Colfax at that time.
I remember the Blue Onion, The Flair, City Park, the Intimate Lounge. And even Sid Kings. Lots of good times.
I visited Denver about 5 years ago. Changes were unbelievable. I recognized the McDonalds where I had my first burger and fries. When I was there, Fitzsimmons was about the only large building out on East Colfax. Now completely surrounded by a huge medical complex. I worked at the Frontier Hangar at Stapleton. Now gone.

Last edited by ginny.rock; 03-23-2021 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-23-2021, 08:00 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Lowry's a suburban housing development these days, and Buckley is now the AFB (used to be Colorado ANG). We don't have a lot of super old-time posters on here. DOUBLE H might remember some of the places. Ironically I just saw a paperback about the early history of Aurora at Walgreen's today while I was waiting to get my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:34 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
. We don't have a lot of super old-time posters on here. DOUBLE H might remember some of the places.
Whazzup sir?

Well, I remember a couple. The country bar in Aurora was called the Zanzabar and was popular with not only the locals but also for people who saw the Clint Eastwood 1978 movie, "Every Which Way But Loose." There were a few other Colorado locations regarding the film, but the bar scene in the movie was at the Zanzabar! IIRC it was a few blocks east of Havana on Colfax. It was a cool place.

A night club that I went to a few times that was maybe ten blocks west of that place was called Saturdays. I was in there a few times, probably the one time I enjoyed it the most was when Merillee Rush did a show there around September of 1973. In 1968 she went top 5 on the Billboard charts with the single "Angel Of The Morning." In fact, a record/tape store in Aurora called Mayfair Records is where I bought her lp with the chart hit on it.Bought it as soon as it hit the charts. That store was on 13th and Krameria-a cool store!! I brought the lp with me to the show and she autographed it for me. Very cool lady, the song was released around June of 1968.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny.rock View Post
I lived in Aurora for a few years in the early 60s. Was in the AF at Lowry and then worked for Frontier Airlines. Trying to remember the name of the country and western nightclub on far East Colfax at that time.
I remember the Blue Onion, The Flair, City Park, the Intimate Lounge. And even Sid Kings. Lots of good times.
I visited Denver about 5 years ago. Changes were unbelievable. I recognized the McDonalds where I had my first burger and fries. When I was there, Fitzsimmons was about the only large building out on East Colfax. Now completely surrounded by a huge medical complex. I worked at the Frontier Hangar at Stapleton. Now gone.
The nightclub out on E Colfax was The Four Seasons had lots of big name country stars at the time. The club was east of I-225 on north side of Colfax

Old 03-28-2021, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,863 times
Think it was billed as 4 Seasons had big fire mid 1980's that wiped it out.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,986 times
Default Anyone recall a small 1970's vegetarian teahouse in Denver with live entertainment

Does anyone recall a small teahouse on E. 17th or E. 18th Ave. in the capitol hill area of Denver, that served vegetarian sandwiches and herbal teas back in the late 1970's, and did play or pay for live entertainment artists? I frequented the place in the summer of 1977 and saw Johnny Long play there, as well as a small acoustic jazz band and others. In the daytime, I'd play chess there as well, and there would occasionally be jam sessions held out back of the place. I'm trying to remember the name of the place. At that time, it had formerly been known as "The Bare Tit", but I'm looking for the name it had after that and an address, to add to my memoirs. If there are any photos of it, that would also be greatly appreciated.
I also later ran across Johnny Long nearby at the Guitar Center on East Colfax Ave. where I was paying down the layaway on my electric guitar or my Roland SH5 synthesizer and he was trying out what i think was either a 7 string or 8 string guitar. He was simply amazing, playing lead, rhythm and bass lines simultaneously. I don't know what became of him, but I hope it worked out to the best of his desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver