Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 03:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Well remember Rink-a-Dinks ....

I worked at Harry's Motors (9th & Santa Fe Drive) for a number of years for the Tagaris' while I was in college. We had Nortons (and Ducati's and Guzzi's), and they had Royal Enfields. Some of my riding buddies bought Enfields and Bultacos from Lee Reichert at R-a-D's. Had stories to tell about sometimes less than honest dealings at Lee's shop that we got to hear about ...

Years later, Lee was a Denver area sales rep for Lawson Products. He called on my shop for awhile before moving on to another gig. He didn't remember me from those earlier years, but he remembered some of the bikes that I mentioned when we visited about "old times" in the bike industry in the area. I didn't mention to him then that some of those bike owners were close friends of mine, or one was a college housemate ... so I knew the "other side" of his story.

Another bike shop of the era was Central Cycle and Marine. They tried to hire me to be their service dept manager, but I heard through several sources that it wasn't likely to work out. In time, my sources proved to have better information than the romance I was getting from the owners who wound up closing their doors not too long afterwards. But it sure looked like a big deal shop for awhile.

Anybody remember Prohaska's bike shop? IIRC, he was on Federal Blvd ... wasn't he the guy that got burglarized a bunch of times, so he finally camped out in his shop to catch the burglars in the act? One night, the burglars struck again, having climbed over the perimeter fence and onto the roof of the shop. The first one dropped through the skylight and Prohaska shot him. Was a high profile case in Denver at the time, they charged him with murder because he'd laid in wait in the dark shop, firearm at the ready for the next burglars to visit. Can't remember all the details, but I think he was convicted and drew some serious jail time. Maybe somebody else on the thread remembers the details, would have been late 1960's time frame?
Lived in Edgewater 56-64 Used to ride bicycles to Lakeside rode through a narrow residential area that I seem to recall had a tree growing in the middle of the street. Right about there was rink-a-Dinks, or as we called it Rinky Dinks. Also Central Cycle and Marine was the Cushman dealer at the time. I think my friend's dad bought his Tote Goat there. I know when I went to Belmont, a couple guys had the " governed" Eagles and Super Eagle that you could ride at 14 years of age. The limiter was a rod the went though the intake and restricted the air flow. Central sold a fake restricted intake that had weld bumps on it. The police could tell you had a lower power machine because of the rod that passed through the intake was welded in place, hence the bead on the part. don't know how long it took the law to figure it out.. at least a couple years..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
Default Old Bars

Does anyone remember the “London House” or the Bar “DocWeeds” from back in the late 70’s??

Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
Was there a Woolworths about 70th and Federal facing east? It was by Lerner’s.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
What I recall on 70th and Federal was a Supershops and an Arbys with the old skool tall hat sign, a gas station just north of a Goodwill, and two open fields with Sunstrand just south on 70th and nudie bars all around like Cheerleaders, the Boogie Down over on 64th and Pecos, Pecos Junction further east of 72nd and Pecos, a Grocery Warehouse on 72nd and Federal, a King Soopers just north east corner of there, and a drive In theater on Zuni and 72nd, across the street from where I used to live...

Old 03-05-2018, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,945 times
As I stated, used to ride bikes all over the Lakewood, Edgewater, Wheatridge area. As a kid was fascinated by the used car lots and new car dealers. An incredible variety of imports that were sitting, often abandoned due to lack of parts, or dealer support. Some cars I recall seeing Aronde, a strange French car with a Ford V8 60 clone, Berkley, Panhard, Edsels with push button shift in the steering wheel hub, Siata, Singer, BMW 300 and 600, well before the 1600, 1800 2002... The there was ****'s Harley dealership on Colfax . An almost unbelieveble treasure trove of bikes in their wrecking yard. Also Vintage bikes on the wall.. And a Simplex Kart dealer. several old three wheel Harley Servicars, used in the Denver area with company signage, or Denver PD insignia. Rember getting a very early color brochure on the Sportster. and on Broadway was hack's Little Lot. I sat in 120, E types and 3.4 sedans, dreamimg of owning one of the magnificent machines. Alas, even the most affordable Jag sedan was well beyond my budget at 495.00. Kurland Jeep on Broadway with the Pink and white stripe roofs on the special jeeps, the cab Forward pickups, and they were also a Renault dealer. Advertised the Dauphine as a competitor to the VW of the day. the ads on KIMN pronounced it "Ren- nalt" rhymes with malt. Boasted " reliable and economical WATER COOLED engine, and a country horn and a city horn"...It has been ten years since I saw one, and it was not on the road. VW did a little better.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
I’m thinking about that area in the late 1950’s -early 1960’s. The Arby’s is further South than where I’m thinking. Maybe 72nd and Federal. South of the Woolco’s.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
I grew up in Wheat Ridge. I've never had better pizza than at Shakey's. I remember their banjo players on the weekends.
I spent time at Mountain Shadows swim and racket club then it was called Sunset Beach and Racket Club.

I also remember Aviation Country Club.

We went to a 3.2 bar in Lodo called Thirsty's on Speer Blvd. By this time it was 1979 - 1980.

Drive in movie on I-70 and Wadsworth Blvd. Drive in movie on W Colfax in Lakewood.

Cinderella City ha ha.

Westland Shopping center had a little train for kids to ride outside in the parking lot at Christmas time.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
The hamburger stands were called Rockybilts Hamburgers. Best burgers in the west! That secret sauce has never been duplicated although many have tried. There was a hippie hangout/bar on the corner of 19-20th & Lincoln. It was painted black inside--anybody?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 28,199 times
The club you’re referencing was The Exodus. The book Curtis Park, Five Points and Beyond by P. Goodstein has a lot of info about the place. Judy Collins started there.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
Default Babyland

Does anyone recall a children's store near 44th and Wadsworth called Babyland? I remember a Stride -Rite store next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver