Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,142 times

Advertisements

Most of the concerts we went to back in the early 70's were at the Denver Coliseum. It's where they have the stock show now. My first concert there was SANTANA. I still remember their giant afro hair cuts . Great Great Music. We would all pile into someones "hunk a junk", and head for big concert. I think the tickets were about 10.00 or maybe even less. I actually liked Blood, sweat and Tears and would have loved to have seen the back then. Spinning wheel, Someone left the cake out in the rain, GOOD STUFF.. Later on they built MCNichols Arena off of Federal Blvd and the concerts began moving over their. And then and now, there will always be Red Rocks Amphitheater. Great musical memories with old friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl C View Post
Most of the concerts we went to back in the early 70's were at the Denver Coliseum. It's where they have the stock show now. My first concert there was SANTANA. I still remember their giant afro hair cuts . Great Great Music. We would all pile into someones "hunk a junk", and head for big concert. I think the tickets were about 10.00 or maybe even less. I actually liked Blood, sweat and Tears and would have loved to have seen the back then. Spinning wheel, Someone left the cake out in the rain, GOOD STUFF.. Later on they built MCNichols Arena off of Federal Blvd and the concerts began moving over their. And then and now, there will always be Red Rocks Amphitheater. Great musical memories with old friends.
I remember that concert well, it was from their Spring 1973 tour and they were promoting their lp, Caravanserai. The Coliseum wasn't a great place for shows but it at least filled a need until McNichols Arena was built in early 1976. TRIVIA--first
rock band to play McNichols--ZZ Top. First music act in general? Lawrence Welk.

Other memorable Santana shows at the Coliseum is where they were they were the warmup acts to Crosby Stills and Nash (1969-around December) and Eric Clapton (August 1975.)

Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
I went to many a concert at the Coliseum:

Rolling Stones (with Stevie Wonder)
Alice Cooper
REO Speedwagon
Jethro Tull
Elton John
Johnny Winter
Deep Purple
Foghat

Then they built McNichols:

Black Sabbath (opening act was Van Halen)
INXS
The Cure

And of course Red Rocks:

Bette Midler (when Barry Manilow was her piano player)
Jackson Brown
Jerry Jeff Walker
Yes
I'm sure there's more, but I am old now and don't remember so good sometimes...

Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I remember that concert well, it was from their Spring 1973 tour and they were promoting their lp, Caravanserai. The Coliseum wasn't a great place for shows but it at least filled a need until McNichols Arena was built in early 1976. TRIVIA--first

Other memorable Santana shows at the Coliseum is where they were they were the warmup acts to Crosby Stills and Nash (1969-around December) and Eric Clapton (August 1975.)
McNichols opened in 1975. Elton John played there in October on the Rock of the Westies tour. First concert I ever attended and a good one.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Remember ZZ Top too- I think a lot of the news in the paper was that they were very LOUD!!

I again saw them at the LAST concert at Big Mac and they played the same set list (to bring back
some memories for the boomers I assume).

Old 03-12-2017, 12:46 PM

The Colorado Sun-Day concerts were pretty awesome too....could see 6-8 bands in one day for $10 bucks or so!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
The Colorado Sun-Day concerts were pretty awesome too....could see 6-8 bands in one day for $10 bucks or so!
Oh how well I remember those Colorado Sun-Day concerts! I believe the last one I attended was headlined by Peter Frampton. It included Steve Miller Band, Gary Wright, and Tommy Bolin, I believe.

We got in line at 4 a.m., and were literally swept into the stadium by the crowd. We sat on the field somewhere around the middle. There were @75,000 people there. I have pictures somewhere of the crowd, it was amazing. It was a very long, hot day, but the crowd was well-behaved for the most part considering we were packed in like sardines. If you had to venture across the crowd to use the porta-potties, it could take awhile to find your way back.

I was totally infatuated with Peter Frampton at the time, and when he came onstage, all I did was cry. You could barely see him, just a tiny figure up on the stage. A memorable day for sure, but there is no way I would ever get myself in the middle of that many people again.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Wow- Tommy Bolan would have been great he being a local legend and a hell of a player.

There was a place in Larimer Sq. called Ebbet's Field where he made a live album, I think AC/DC even played there too (among a host of others).

Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMXTROIS View Post
:I remember going to Mr. Lucky's every weekend - the band KITE was awesome - and the guys were hot! Great bar and great memories..........and the Rainbow Music Hall to see Firefall - awesome show......................do also remember The Library (great restaurant on Colorado Blvd.?)
It is actually spelled Kyte

Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 14,142 times
We saw Tommy Bolin at Ebbets Field. They served drinks but would let you in even if you were under age like we were. I taped a bottle around my ankle and had a plastic tube going up my bell bottom jeans and up my shirts. How stupid is that, but it was fun and Tommy Bolin was fantastic. There is a boot leg copy of that concert floating around on the internet...Also saw Les MCann, Return to forever,Mahavishnu Orchestra and a lot of other underground jazz of the day at Ebbets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver