Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 AM

495 posts, read 192,571 times

Advertisements

We are looking into buying a lot in or near Evergreen, with the eventual plan of building a house and moving there in 5-6 years after I retire.

I’m in Chicago, born and raised, so I’m familiar with cold weather, winter and snow, although it seems the winters here have been getting milder lately. It also seems like winter moves directly into summer with not much spring around here.

I have a son who went to DU, another who just graduated from Boulder, and have skied and camped in Colorado many times.

I’m not really familiar with Evergreen, but if and when we move there we will not have to commute anywhere on a daily basis, so I’m not concerned with traffic. We like to hike, ski, camp out and generally enjoy the outdoors.

Any advice on where to look, or what to look out for, from anyone familiar with the area? Our budget for a lot is probably up to 300 or 350 thousand.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 09:26 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,700,228 times
I can't tell you where to look, but I can share my knowledge of Evergreen having been there hundreds of times.

Its pretty with some great hiking and mountain biking. Trails fill up fast though.

It will be cooler in summer and snowier in winter.

Traffic on weekends in town can get backed up with tourists.

I-70 on ski weekends and in summer will also get very busy so get familiar with Bear Creek Canyon, the only other way down.

There is a great little winery/restaurant in town called Creekside. Dining on the patio overlooking the river on a sunny day is hard to beat.

The Little Bear is famous for all who have played there and it is a fun mountain bar.

Evergreen Lake in winter rents ice skates and watercraft in summer.

If you build in a wooded area, make sure you understand wildfire mitigation techniques.

Upper Bear Creek Rd is special. I could be wrong, but I think that is where Willie Nelson used to have a place. It is classic old school Colorado.

Enjoy the journey.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 AM

25 posts, read 33,005 times
Do you want to be in an area with more of a neighborhood feel or something more remote? Evergreen covers a pretty big area with lots of different home types. I recommend working with a good realtor who knows the area when you start looking. Here are a few thoughts (in no particular order):

1) How much of the lot can you actually build on? Not a lot of flat land here.
2) Sun exposure - building on the north side of a mountain can make for a long cold winter.
3) Water/septic - most of the lots on the market aren't on the Evergreen Metro District water and sewer system so you'll need to make sure there's enough water for a well.
4) High speed internet access - Comcast only covers part of the area so if this is important to you check to see if it's available.
5) How much are you planning on spending on construction? For example, lots in Cub Creek Ranch are near your price range but if you want to pop up a $300,000 cabin that's not going to work in that neighborhood.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:08 AM

COcheesehead and Bunner -

Thanks for the info and practical advice. We’re heading out that way this month to look around.

Very helpful.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:20 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee7 View Post
COcheesehead and Bunner -

Thanks for the info and practical advice. We’re heading out that way this month to look around.

Very helpful.
Visitors from low elevations need to beware of a few things when visiting COLO. Denver sits at 5200+ feet and Evergreen at 7200+ feet. Altitude sickness is a real possibility and the best way to avoid it is to drink plenty of water while visiting and curtail alcohol which exacerbates the situation for many. The air is much thinner so we recommend sunscreen, lip balm, sunglasses and a hat. The air is drier thus we recommend saline nasal spray to prevent bloody noses. The vast majority of people will acclimate quickly but a few take longer and some never do fully acclimate.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:24 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
One other thing to be aware of - in the foothills the terrain has a significant effect on the amount of sunshine (both intensity and hours per day) you'll get.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:53 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Be aware that wildfires are a threat and will be part of your summer life.

My mother in law keeps a box of irreplaceable items ready to load up at a moment’s notice.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Be aware that wildfires are a threat and will be part of your summer life.

My mother in law keeps a box of irreplaceable items ready to load up at a moment’s notice.
That and some forms of wildlife that people inadvertently draw towards their homes and then want killed. Bears, mountain lions, namely. Even if you religiously avoid leaving pet food and trash bins out, neighbors who don’t care will attract them to the area.

Plenty of other caveats for foothills living but transplants often ignore them.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:25 PM

Thank you. I lived near Seattle in the mid 80s, and San Diego in the late 80s. Also in Sicily for three years. All great places to live, but certainly not the mountains. Looking forward to checking it out.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:43 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
The entire 74 corridor (from I70 to the lake) is loosely considered Evergreen, anything south of Brook Forest road and you’re drifting toward Conifer.

Make sure the main road to your property is paved and that a fire truck can access. I wouldn’t purchase a property that didn’t have western or southern exposure, and don’t underestimate the benefits of a flat driveway.

I think both Witter Gulch and Stagecoach roads would be good areas to consider.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver