Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,086,987 times

Advertisements

Link #1: Discussing urban "regions" which includes the suburbs, not just cities proper.

Link #2: Quite short, not too convincing as there are few numbers, and there's this: "The authors of this new report, however, admit that assessing emissions is not an exact science because different countries and cities employ different methodologies for counting CO2 emissions, making a precise like-for-like comparison difficult."

Link #3: Refers to "urban areas" which again, includes suburbs. Seems to take a negative view of urbanization. "For example, urban populations consume much more food, energy, and durable goods than rural populations."

Link #4: Didn't get much out of that agenda.

What I would like to see is a comparison between homes in Denver and homes in the suburbs. I have personally known people in Denver who had long commutes into the suburbs, for example. I know suburban dwellers (me, for one; also my husband) who have short commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,955,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Link #1: Discussing urban "regions" which includes the suburbs, not just cities proper.

Link #2: Quite short, not too convincing as there are few numbers, and there's this: "The authors of this new report, however, admit that assessing emissions is not an exact science because different countries and cities employ different methodologies for counting CO2 emissions, making a precise like-for-like comparison difficult."

Link #3: Refers to "urban areas" which again, includes suburbs. Seems to take a negative view of urbanization. "For example, urban populations consume much more food, energy, and durable goods than rural populations."

Link #4: Didn't get much out of that agenda.

What I would like to see is a comparison between homes in Denver and homes in the suburbs. I have personally known people in Denver who had long commutes into the suburbs, for example. I know suburban dwellers (me, for one; also my husband) who have short commutes.
Hey you are more than free to deny the facts of the matter also Denver as city is quite spread out and sprawling so of course people are going to drive more. In real cities like NYC or London the residents use less energy and fuel and are thus far more sustainable than a standard sprawling city that is common in the US. Let us hope for our sake however that our leaders and developers move towards more sustainable solutions instead of more urban sprawl.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:08 AM

122 posts, read 130,351 times
Default Will initiative 66, Cap on new housing pass?

I’m legitimately worried that this might pass by a wide margin. I haven’t seen a proposal this idiotic in a long time. Many people will vote for it without thinking about the consequences it might add. Unfortunately the Supreme Court gave them the go ahead to put it on the ballot.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 AM

11,475 posts, read 11,618,922 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ing-front.html

Old 03-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Scary thing is I could see this passing. Too many home owners that are already settled and have nothing to lose. They are also more likely to vote then the younger generation.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,960,593 times
The construction industry needs to be part of the solution to our growing traffic problem instead of building as much as they can wherever they can without regards to the cars involved. That could be funding better mass transit, helping to pass laws that create only smart growth, or something else.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The construction industry needs to be part of the solution to our growing traffic problem instead of building as much as they can wherever they can without regards to the cars involved. That could be funding better mass transit, helping to pass laws that create only smart growth, or something else.
That is true but voting yes on this, won’t helo the situation. There should be initiatives to help promote smart growth and transit, but this one isn’t it

Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,960,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
That is true but voting yes on this, won’t helo the situation. There should be initiatives to help promote smart growth and transit, but this one isn’t it
People get fed up and swing the pendulum the other direction. I doubt this will initiative will pass, but if the development community doesn't wake up then the next one will pass.

"Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered."

Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,519,827 times
Question: If this passes how much extra growth will this mean for Pueblo county?

5,000 houses/ apartments more a year? 10,000? More or less? Asking for a friend. Lol just joking asking for me!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:22 AM

191 posts, read 289,201 times
I haven’t driven in the Denver area in over 4 1/2 years. Has the traffic gotten significantly worse since then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver