Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM

4,939 posts, read 2,961,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I do think mountain living is desirable, but still question just how sustainable it is versus denser city living.
Dense cities are the most sustainable and efficient communities. Urban residents consume less water fuel and electricity than there rural counterparts. Thank goodness we don't all live in low density sprawl or the resource crisis we are facing would be astronomically worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 05:00 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,985,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Once again you guys are off the mark with your assumptions. Yes I do live close enough to enough services that I could live car free (if I so chose). Downtown Woodland Park actually has a Walk Score of 65, not 0. Groceries, hardware, my bank, my doctor are all within 0.4 miles or less of my home, and I live 0.64 miles from dead center of town. Bet you guys also didn't know Woodland Park has one of the very first true "tiny home" communities anywhere in Colorado at Peak View Park, or that this year two new affordable multi-family housing developments (one for individuals and families that make less than 50% of the median area income, the other a Habitat for Humanity redevelopment of an old hotel) come online on infill lots, or that we recently built a 168 unit apartment complex in our urban core, or that our community's Harvest Center is producing locally grown food in backyards and on scrap properties throughout town to be shared with those in need through area charities, at our local natural foods store, or sold at our community farmers markets (one of the best small town markets in the state, BTW) to raise funds for community gardening education. We're doing a lot up here. How about you two? What are you two doing to make your communities better places to live for all?
This is great info about Woodland Park. Thank you! The last time I saw Woodland Park in my rear view mirror, it was just a sprawl of isolated houses on large lots with a tiny "down town." Your post suggests to me that I shouldn't assume anything about a place I haven't seen in over ten years myself. Can you tell me if the city of Colorado Springs in its vast wisdom has finally implemented some sort of public transit between Woodland Park and the Springs?

BTW, I think folks should lay off MountainEarth who seems to be leading a less consumptive lifestyle than many. If anyone gets to whine about sustainable lifestyles and overcrowding on the Front Range, I'm going to promote myself to the head of the line. I'm a Colorado native who grew up in Colorado Springs when it had a population of around 75,000 or so. Denver was an overgrown cow town in a hick rural state. My how times have changed! I've been living on the Western Slope for the major part of my adult life because the Front Range had already become too crowded for me way back in the 70's.I don't live in some green environmental mansion in the clouds. Rather, I'm out here in some of the most beautiful country on earth - right in the shadow of the Sleeping Ute Mountains and a skip across the mesas from Mesa Verde. Increased population pressure in my old home drove me out here and the incredible increase in the price of housing elsewhere in Colorado keeps me here.

I live about 6 miles south of Cortez smack in the middle of farming and ranching country. On the one hand I am blessed to have my very own water share which allows me to grow my own fresh veggies in the summer and sell off the surplus at the local farmer's market for a bit of spare change. I am extremely environmentally aware and I see all too clearly the problems we are getting into as our species is rapidly depleting its own habitat. I also see the difficulties that us everyday folks have to contend with when just trying to find work and a place to live. Every time I have to make the 12 mile round trip into town, I cringe inwardly, imagining another species going extinct because of me and my gas guzzling ways.

I think that we all need to figure out better ways of doing things, but attacking one another for not being environmentally "pure" enough is not the way to accomplish this.

Just saying.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Dense cities are the most sustainable and efficient communities. Urban residents consume less water fuel and electricity than there rural counterparts. Thank goodness we don't all live in low density sprawl or the resource crisis we are facing would be astronomically worse.
Could you document that?

Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,614,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

I think that we all need to figure out better ways of doing things, but attacking one another for not being environmentally "pure" enough is not the way to accomplish this.

Just saying.
They've tacitly voiced their support for artificially inflating prices in order to make Colorado an exclusive club, going so far as to call growth cancer, supposedly in the name of sustainability. It's worth questioning the motives of people who'd be so elitist.

If this vote actually goes to ballot, people's ignorance and/or hypocrisy could quite literally force me to move for no other reason than that I was born too late.

Last edited by Westerner92; 02-14-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,648,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Could you document that?
Bigger yards, houses and commutes in the suburbs generally.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bigger yards, houses and commutes in the suburbs generally.
I'd like to see some numbers. "Conventional wisdom" isn't always accurate. Lots of people in the Denver suburbs work in the suburbs as well.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,648,264 times
Quote:
I'd like to see some numbers. "Conventional wisdom" isn't always accurate. Lots of people in the Denver suburbs work in the suburbs as well.
I agree about conventional wisdom. Most of my posts today have been dispelling myths that people think are fact (in shape people don’t get altitude sickness, you get drunker at elevation)

This one makes sense to me because the bulk of water usage is watering your lawn and suburban lots are much bigger. Suburban homes also have more square footage in general so use more energy.

As for commutes, if you look at the traffic flows during rush hour, they are going in to the city in the morning and out of the city in the evening. Again I’m generalizing because I’m sure there are outliers, but this would seem to make sense.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 987,695 times
Quote:
I agree about conventional wisdom. Most of my posts today have been dispelling myths that people think are fact (in shape people don’t get altitude sickness, you get drunker at elevation)

This one makes sense to me because the bulk of water usage is watering your lawn and suburban lots are much bigger. Suburban homes also have more square footage in general so use more energy.
Don’t forget the large hoa common areas covered with heavily watered grass.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:

As for commutes, if you look at the traffic flows during rush hour, they are going in to the city in the morning and out of the city in the evening. Again I’m generalizing because I’m sure there are outliers, but this would seem to make sense.
Water, yes in the growing season. Re: energy use-many urbanites live alone in 1000+ sf condos, while suburban household size is larger. For many years there were 4 of us in our 2500 sf house, 625 sf per person. So we were probably using no more energy per capita, maybe less.

Actually, there is no "against traffic" in many areas during the morning/evening commute times, certainly not on I-25 except at the extreme north and south in the metro. The main employment nodes are downtown, ETC, Broomfield and Boulder. People are coming and going everywhere.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:06 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,961,385 times
Quote:
Could you document that?
https://www.citylab.com/life/2012/04...e-greener/863/

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...bon-footprints

Urbanization: An Environmental Force to Be Reckoned With

https://books.google.com/books?id=tF...%2033.&f=false

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 02-15-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver