Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,242,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
It didn't sound like bragging to me. I went to MUC in November. Ok, now I'm bragging haha.

I know what you mean. I was in Houston for 10 years and had no problem burning up my vacation in other places. I've been in CO for just over a year now, and have taken several of those impromptu trips into the mountains on the weekends. That proved to be plenty relaxing for me because I had 2 solid weeks of vacation to burn at the end of the year. I hosted family over the holidays that wanted to see the mountains (more impromptu trips) and was just fine not taking a real trip anywhere. I even got a couple of nice days to sneak away and ride my bikes into the hills. The sad thing is that my wife and I are both staring at raises/promotions to move back to Houston. I don't want to leave, but it's a lot of money to turn down.

Personally, I haven't felt the traffic to be that bad. I haven't tried skiing yet, so I don't have much knowledge on commuting straight to the ski areas. Most frequently I'm riding my motorcycles into the mountains and looking for the most twisty roads I can find, as opposed to hitting the super slab of I70. I also take some of those same routes to go hiking. I've encountered traffic on I70 and totally thought it was worth it for the fun to be had in the mountains. That being said, I didn't live here when traffic was lighter, the mountain recreation is new to me, and I came from the traffic mess of Houston, so my experience will certainly be different that some.
That is good to hear, I wasnt there 10 years ago either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,064,390 times
I hate to say it but this was the problem when I moved here in 1990s. I spent one year skiing and then just gave up. Traffic was terrible, prices were high and the whole thing was a pain. It just wasn't fun any more. I grew up in the midwest where you could get to the slopes in 30 min. so it was super easy to ski after school in the evenings and on the weekends.

However it is still manageable if you plan appropriately and go up on Fri. and back on Mon. Same with RVing or hiking in the summer. We don't go in or out on 70 during the peak times. That is the beauty of living in CO, not that you can travel about to tourist spots at peak times, but that you can go on the off peak times.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,401,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I hate to say it but this was the problem when I moved here in 1990s. I spent one year skiing and then just gave up. Traffic was terrible, prices were high and the whole thing was a pain. It just wasn't fun any more. I grew up in the midwest where you could get to the slopes in 30 min. so it was super easy to ski after school in the evenings and on the weekends.

However it is still manageable if you plan appropriately and go up on Fri. and back on Mon. Same with RVing or hiking in the summer. We don't go in or out on 70 during the peak times. That is the beauty of living in CO, not that you can travel about to tourist spots at peak times, but that you can go on the off peak times.

Spot on. That is just life in Colorado now days.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM

549 posts, read 1,560,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

Yup. Although I've never found hiking traffic to be quite as bad. I think it's because there's so many different places to hike, but only a certain number of ski resorts along the I-70 corridor.

I have friends who take off random Thursdays or Fridays as vacation days at work so that they can go up to ski. That seems to work very well.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,580,549 times
I skied powder today at Loveland for 2 hours. Ski to the lift and 60 minutes door to door. Back home working this afternoon. Best!!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 94,792 times
Avoiding traveling on I70 on weekends in the summer means you will be stuck in construction traffic many times as that is when most roadwork occurs. This whole problem of I70 traffic is a huge problem with which is only going to get worse; population continues to grow and all government can come up with is more studies and toll lanes. Sad that the only way highways in Colorado are expanding is via toll roads, where is all the marijuana money going?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,513,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I skied powder today at Loveland for 2 hours. Ski to the lift and 60 minutes door to door. Back home working this afternoon. Best!!
Noice! I'm going up to Copper Saturday at 5:30am. I am going to stay in Dillion to watch a movie and have dinner that night... probably leave around 8pm.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Noice! I'm going up to Copper Saturday at 5:30am. I am going to stay in Dillion to watch a movie and have dinner that night... probably leave around 8pm.
Similar plans for me except going to Vail.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy15 View Post
Avoiding traveling on I70 on weekends in the summer means you will be stuck in construction traffic many times as that is when most roadwork occurs. This whole problem of I70 traffic is a huge problem with which is only going to get worse; population continues to grow and all government can come up with is more studies and toll lanes. Sad that the only way highways in Colorado are expanding is via toll roads, where is all the marijuana money going?
TABOR. Didn't you get your $5 refund check?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,978 times
How much would people pay for a bus to the ski areas? CDOT currently runs buses to frisco and vail but they travel in the wrong direction. IMO this should be a big part of the solution, not spending a billion dollars on another toll lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver