Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 AM

8 posts, read 31,741 times

Advertisements

Like many people, I'm trying to find the best area or neighborhood for my family. We want what everyone wants; good schools, affordable housing, short commute. Those criteria can be easily measured, but something we want is the community feel. You know, a place where people know your name, a nice park to congregate, a farmer's market, a community board, etc.
In my head I imagine there are places like that, I saw it when I lived in Boulder. It seems likely to be in a place like Stapleton or Lowry. Where else can I find that feeling?

I'm looking for a place certainly south of I-70, since my job would be at 470 and I-25. Housing in the range of 300k and good school is a plus, but a private option is not out of the picture. Some of the options we've looked at are Park Hill, Mayfair, and Platt Park. Do these neighborhoods have that community feel. Is there a great little community out there for us?

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
Well my neighborhood, Bradburn Village, has that in abundance, but we are north of I-70 and our location at 120th and Sheridan would make for a hellish commute for you (although I do have a neighbor who does it--he commutes to the Denver Tech Center--and he says yes, it sucks!, but they love living here so much he puts up with it).

I don't know of any communities personally down south that are that way in your price range but I can give you one piece of advice: one way to find it is to drive around a neighborhood you are interested in and stop and ask people who are out walking what they think of their neighborhood. I feel this is the only true way to really find out if a neighborhood has this elusive, but to me, essential quality. And you are right, I have friends who live in Stapleton and they say it has that quality. I'm sure there are other communities though farther south that will too, it might just take some investigation.

Good luck in your community quest!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree & Parker all have "community" feeling neighborhoods...your commute will be easy & short.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Well my neighborhood, Bradburn Village, has that in abundance, but we are north of I-70 and our location at 120th and Sheridan would make for a hellish commute for you (although I do have a neighbor who does it--he commutes to the Denver Tech Center--and he says yes, it sucks!, but they love living here so much he puts up with it).

I don't know of any communities personally down south that are that way in your price range but I can give you one piece of advice: one way to find it is to drive around a neighborhood you are interested in and stop and ask people who are out walking what they think of their neighborhood. I feel this is the only true way to really find out if a neighborhood has this elusive, but to me, essential quality. And you are right, I have friends who live in Stapleton and they say it has that quality. I'm sure there are other communities though farther south that will too, it might just take some investigation.

Good luck in your community quest!
agree with bradburn1

Bradburn is a great sub-division
Prospect New Town.
Stapleton
Erie Village

are a few more that might. They all fall under the classification of New-Urbanism.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 84,680 times
I used to live in Lowry and we moved once we had our 2 young children. I didn't feel it was a very family friendly area at all. It felt unsafe, as did nearby Stapleton, due to the fact that it is still so close to not so nice areas. In our neighborhood in Lowry, there were always car break-ins and twice in broad daylight neighbors homes were broken into.

We moved to Parker- what a great family city! Love it! It's still relatively affordable (compared to Lowry or Stapleton especially). But Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, and Caslte Rock are great too. Easy access to 470 and I25.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
I have to admit, one of the reasons we picked Bradburn over Stapleton was this exact concern. Because Stapleton used to be the airport, the neighborhoods surrounding it are frankly, not the best. But, you are going to get some petty and car theft, even break-ins, in almost every area, even the suburbs (this is not to say they are not higher in some place than others of course, hence we live in Bradburn).

We've had two car thefts in the past four years in Bradburn (that I know of, I'm sure there are more), some petty theft, and vandalism. No home break-ins though, and I feel this is a very very safe neighborhood because everyone knows each other and keeps an eye out. I've gotten phone calls from neighbors when they saw a visiting friend's car in front of my house and people going in and out they knew weren't us LOL.

My friends who live in Stapleton say they feel safe there, and there are some board members who live there, perhaps they could chime in on how they feel the crime situation is.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I would look at established neighborhoods in the South, near where you are going to work. There are great areas besides the "noted new urbanism" that are copies of existing neighborhoods. They are nice but they are not the only or best game in town.

I would look at near old town Littleton--"real urban authentic", main street, little shops, light rail station---for example---nice homes along Ridge Road.

Consider Bear Valley area of Denver, off of Hampden--nice homes, good public transportations, great big parks, good shopping.

Think about area east of Hampden in the Southmoor Park and Hampden South neighborhoods of Denver--there is a light rail station near I-25 and Hampden. It is just down the road from Tiffany Square shopping area.

There is a new development at the Southglenn Mall with many buses, being a transfer point. This is in Centennial and the homes are nice around this area.

If you want to be real close to your job, then look at the Dry Creek area of Centennial and certainly Lonetree.

I agree Highland Ranch has nice homes. You could also look at Parker--it is like a little community with a little main street.

Do not Forget about the Southwest area of Lakewood--near the Southwest Mall-good transportation, good shopping or east into Columbine. Another area that is a "urbanism" but is surrouded by older established neighborhoods is Belmar on Alameda and Wadsworth--great shopping, good transportation.

Livecontent

Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree & Parker all have "community" feeling neighborhoods...your commute will be easy & short.
I don't think any of these cities have a "community" feel. Most of these are mass developments where people don't talk to their neighbors and drive everywhere. If you are looking south of 1-70 I would suggest Littleton. Like livecontent said, the area near old town Littleton seems to fit what you are looking for. My parents live in this area and they seem to enjoy it. They are close to light rail and shopping, yet it remains very quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver