Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM

256 posts, read 1,405,248 times

Advertisements

Ive noticed that there are tons of condos around Cheesman Park..,. Is this a good area. Me and my fiance are thinking of moving to Denver in the next 9-12months and we have a little pomeranian that loves the park. So this looked like a good fit. Can anyone tell me about the area. How is the public transit... Crime... How hard to get downtown... etc. how close to the community colleges... any information is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,993,045 times
It's a very attractive urban area with a outstanding diversity of people. Rent is fairly reasonable in the area, and condo ownership is within reach of many people. There's a decent mix of young and old, singles and couples, with all lifestyles, though not a lot of families at this point.

It's an urban area, so you have to watch out for crime and other general urban issues. Homeless do tend to loiter in the park at times, though not nearly as bad as Civic Center Park further east. Being but a stone's throw from Colfax on the north side, the park area is influenced by after-dark crime from there, though that being said Colfax has cleaned up fairly well in that section. So, I wouldn't say that crime is particularly scary, but finding a place with a secured parking place and entrance would probably make me feel better. If you like the idea of a park but you want something a little safer and less urban, then consider Washington Park.

The various sides of the park have slightly different characters. The northern end is close to Colfax and much more rental oriented, as is the western side abutting Capitol Hill. The southern side is closer to Country Club North and some of the other more exclusive sections of Denver, so it tends to be a bit more upscale. The park is a great equalizer, however, since no one can stop you from enjoying the park no matter what side you're on.

Transit is really easy to get downtown. There are many buses on the main streets like Colfax, 8th, 6th that run very frequently, even late at night. This part of Denver is probably the best for the transit dependent since . Plus, you could just walk or ride your bike to downtown as it's only about a mile away from the edge of Downtown.

Community College of Denver is at the Auraria Campus, which is on the far side of downtown from you, but still relatively close and an easy bus ride.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 PM

probably a long shot but does anyone know what sf neighborhood would be similar.. besides density... i mean like with crime, demographics, and that kind of stuff

Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM

271 posts, read 1,382,367 times
I've been to San Francisco.. visited many of its neighborhoods. I would say.. maybe comparable to Mission.. the part west of Mission St, near Noe Valley? Hard to say, though, as I've not lived in either Cheesman Park or San Francisco.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 AM

are you serious? because honestly i was hoping someone woud say that because colfax ave... seems kind of like mission st. and i love noe valley... thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 AM

Well.. Mission has a reputation for being dominated by Hispanics and somewhat unruly.. whereas Cheesman Park I'd say is more white and less unruly. But you have Mission Dolores Park (very nice park) and Cheesman Park.. as well as major thoroughfares (as you noted, Colfax vs. Mission St) and lots of cute old residences. So I'd say it's more of a cross between Mission and Noe Valley. Cosmetics aside.. and also, I'd say it's a bit more hilly in that part of SF than in the area around Cheesman Park. I last visited San Francisco in May 2006, and before that April 2005, by the way. I also particularly liked Noe Valley, Upper Market, Mission, Duboce Triangle, Castro, etc., as opposed to Inner/Outer Sunset, North Beach, Richmond, etc.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 AM

if i could afford it id be living in either noe valley mission or west portal... too bad i cant afford it lol.... thanks for the info

Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 AM

West Portal is also very nice, I agree.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:01 PM

according to

Neighborhood Crime Statistics Information by Alphabetical Order

the crime around cheesman park is only a 17.8 while wash park is almost 30.... yikes.... is it because this is old or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
It's a very attractive urban area with a outstanding diversity of people. Rent is fairly reasonable in the area, and condo ownership is within reach of many people. There's a decent mix of young and old, singles and couples, with all lifestyles, though not a lot of families at this point.

It's an urban area, so you have to watch out for crime and other general urban issues. Homeless do tend to loiter in the park at times, though not nearly as bad as Civic Center Park further east. Being but a stone's throw from Colfax on the north side, the park area is influenced by after-dark crime from there, though that being said Colfax has cleaned up fairly well in that section. So, I wouldn't say that crime is particularly scary, but finding a place with a secured parking place and entrance would probably make me feel better. If you like the idea of a park but you want something a little safer and less urban, then consider Washington Park.

The various sides of the park have slightly different characters. The northern end is close to Colfax and much more rental oriented, as is the western side abutting Capitol Hill. The southern side is closer to Country Club North and some of the other more exclusive sections of Denver, so it tends to be a bit more upscale. The park is a great equalizer, however, since no one can stop you from enjoying the park no matter what side you're on.

Transit is really easy to get downtown. There are many buses on the main streets like Colfax, 8th, 6th that run very frequently, even late at night. This part of Denver is probably the best for the transit dependent since . Plus, you could just walk or ride your bike to downtown as it's only about a mile away from the edge of Downtown.

Community College of Denver is at the Auraria Campus, which is on the far side of downtown from you, but still relatively close and an easy bus ride.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM

and is it true that people walk around topless in the summer? I just read it somewhere and that strikes me as odd... I've honestly never heard of that LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver