Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Yeah, the infamous stories about what goes on "behind the bushes." I've heard those stories too -- sounds suspiciously like urban legends to me.
Unfortunately, no, they are not urban legends. Friends of mine own a house at 10th and Humboldt and told me some pretty funky stories.(such as how much certain "activities" will cost you, etc.) My son had a guy come on to him at the park.
My sister in law got assaulted while jogging at Cheesman (she bit the guy's hand and he let her go.) This stuff happens; it is a part of urban life.
Having said all that, I regularly walked through Cheesman with our without my dog because I loved the park, Indigo Salon and Videotique and other places around there.
"Little" Cheesman (south of "Big" Cheesman) was basically "our" park and yes I did get busted for letting my dog off leash there.

ETA:
Has anyone seen that guy who exercises by pushing against trees? He would be out there in his bathrobe, pushing against a tree.
Often he'd have a pipe in his mouth. It was a bizarre sight, but the guy was completely harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sounds suspiciously like ..... Congress.... Si? No?
Tap, tap, tap... Sen. Craig???

Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Unfortunately, no, they are not urban legends. Friends of mine own a house at 10th and Humboldt and told me some pretty funky stories.(such as how much certain "activities" will cost you, etc.) My son had a guy come on to him at the park.
My sister in law got assaulted while jogging at Cheesman (she bit the guy's hand and he let her go.) This stuff happens; it is a part of urban life.
Having said all that, I regularly walked through Cheesman with our without my dog because I loved the park, Indigo Salon and Videotique and other places around there.
"Little" Cheesman (south of "Big" Cheesman) was basically "our" park and yes I did get busted for letting my dog off leash there.

ETA:
Has anyone seen that guy who exercises by pushing against trees? He would be out there in his bathrobe, pushing against a tree.
Often he'd have a pipe in his mouth. It was a bizarre sight, but the guy was completely harmless.
I think there's a bit of urban legend to what goes on at Cheesman, but some truth too. And if you live next to the park, you'd be more likely to see it. I never went into the park or running after dark or anything.

You've gotta love the harmless freaks in the city. Remember the guy who rollerbladed around town in a pink tu-tu? I think I read that he died a couple years ago.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,637 times
I run the park in the Spring, Summer and Fall and have never had any issues, other then a friendly dog who chased me. I didn't know he was friendly and was getting ready to kick it until the owner stopped him. I have seen dozens of people ticketed for letting their dogs go leashless and as a runner I have to say that I am okay with that. Too bad they don't do the same for cat owners!

The north end of the park has more Colfax and 13th types hanging out there, homeless and youth hustlers, but there is also constant patrols of the police there. All Denver parks close at 11:00 so not much happening there after that time. There are more and more jazz and classical music concerts in the summer in Cheesman and City Park and next summer will see even more. In my 41 years of living in Denver and 20 on the hill, I have heard of a few muggings after dark in the park but no murders. However, those muggings occured about 15 -20 years ago when Capitol Hill was more transitent. I did see the guy in the pink tu-tu and another who would dress as Frankenstien daily hang out there but I think both were a little scramble with their brains so I never felt the need to run from them.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini View Post
"probably a long shot but does anyone know what sf neighborhood would be similar.. besides density... i mean like with crime, demographics, and that kind of stuff"

As somebody who grew up in San Francisco and has lived here a couple of years, I have to say that the two do not really compare in most respects.

If a local says Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park are diverse, keep in mind that is from a Denver/Colorado perspective...They are not even close to being diverse by San Francisco/California standards. So you won't really find similar demographics here (ethnically, foreign-born population) or neighborhood characteristics (e.g., streets like in SF where you have Asian markets, cosmopolitan bistros, grungy taquerias, and a Russian restaurant frequented by FOB Russians, all next door to each other). Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park are considered very urban areas by people in Denver, but that is in the context of what is otherwise a very low-density sprawling city. Expect quiet leafy streets, a few bars and some restaurants...it can very pleasant actually and quite safe in my experience...even Colfax will be much safer than the Mission, for example. With all that said, Capitol Hill and Cheesman Park are very nice areas for people who want an "urban" experience in Denver and I definitely recommend them above most other areas in the city, particularly given what you've said. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I totally agree with what Santini said, SF and Denver are very different and you will not find the significant variation with cultural diversity here like you can there. Denver does not have that fast pace and density of SF, hence the reason I like to visit there but it is just too fast for me to live in. I also love Chicago and NYC to visit but being in my 40's, I enjoy a slightly slow pace to life. I like being able to walk in my neighborhood at any hour and still feel safe. I will travel for work and play to enjoy the fast pace.
I agree with both Santini and DenverAztec in that, though some neighborhoods in SF and Denver have some similarities, there a also considerable differences. Maybe this will be a helpful analogy, maybe not... but I sort of think of Denver --> SF as SF --> Manhattan. But, having said that I think that some people who love living in SF will also love living in Denver. Just like some people who really love NYC also love SF. I can easily see someone who wants to stay in SF, but needs to move for financial reasons, finding a happy niche in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver