Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM

739 posts, read 2,951,164 times

Advertisements

never heard the topless comment- unless by topless you mean men in shorts

as far as crime, what type of crime? I doubt Wash Park has more crime than Cheeseman, but think both would be fairly low. With both areas, and any urban area you may see more auto theft/break-ins things like that than a suburb

Ive heard Noe Valley is similar to Congress Park/Cheeseman and have also heard compared with Wash Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Topless in Cheesman Park? Not that I've heard of, although I once saw a man sunbathing nude there.

One thing to watch out for in Cheesman Park if you have a dog, the cops will literally drive across the grass to ticket you if your dog is off leash.

Another thing no one's mentioned: Cheeseman Park is a well known gay hangout. I'm not saying that's bad at all - I'm gay. In summer, the park gets crowded with sun bathers, gay volleyball leagues, people just hanging out, etc. The southern end of the park is also a common "cruising" area, but no one's going to bother you. For some reason, the north end of the park seems to be where straight people hang out. I've heard rumors about what goes on in the bushes at Cheesman, but I've never seen anything, and I used to run the path around the park every day when I lived near there.

The Cap. Hill and Cheesman areas have a large gay population, so just don't be surprised. If you're from the Bay Area, you may feel right at home. It's a fun area, walkable, and it's fun to see drag queens shopping every now and then at "Queen Soopers" (the Cap. Hill King Soopers grocery store).

Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 PM

256 posts, read 1,404,721 times
what is the difference between the governors park neighborhood and the cheesman park neighborhood.. wed like to be close to downtown... close to a park... but also in a safe area where a young female 19yo and 5'0" could walk around and not be bothered.... we are from sf and have had problems with the being "bothered" with her before. When we are together its fine but when not thats what I want to know. Anyways let me know...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
what is the difference between the governors park neighborhood and the cheesman park neighborhood.. wed like to be close to downtown... close to a park... but also in a safe area where a young female 19yo and 5'0" could walk around and not be bothered.... we are from sf and have had problems with the being "bothered" with her before. When we are together its fine but when not thats what I want to know. Anyways let me know...
Governor's Park is adjacent to Cap. Hill, and not really that different that I can think of. Maybe more high end houses (old mansions). I always felt safe in these areas, but then I'm not a 19 yr. old female, so I couldn't really say. The homeless/drug issues seem to be closer to Colfax. Considering Cheesman Park is more of a gay hangout, I would think a young woman wouldn't be bothered. I've personally never heard of anyone being attacked there or anything like that. Maybe someone who lives near the park would have a better answer. The park shuts down at 10 p.m., I believe. Well, there are signs saying so, but you can still get in.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,093,218 times
Wow! Where do I begin? I am a Denver native who has lived in Capitol Hill for the past 20 years and love the area. I travel to San Francisco at least once or twice a year and I honestly could not tell you of a neighborhood there that closely resembles Capitol Hill. However, there are many individual characteristics of areas there that reminded me of home. The painted ladies are not as abundant as they are in the Haight, but can be found all over Capitol Hill, mixed in with gothic and vernacular historic structures. East 13th Avenue and parts of Colfax (15th Avenue) have a Bohemian feel like that of the Haight, but parts of Colfax also can feel like Market Street and 9th or 10th, not the Nordstrom/Polk area. Colfax is the longest commercial street in the country, so you are going to find the good, the bad and the ugly that exists on any major street in any major city. This will be more north Capitol Hill. Civic Center Park is west of the Capitol and not considered Capitol Hill. Noticed reference to it above in this thread and do not want it confused with Cheesman Park. However, Civic Center Park is on Colfax and does have a ton of undesirables in it day and night.

I do not think I would compare Capitol Hill to the Delores Mission area as that felt very unsafe to me, but if the Castro and Noe Valley were flat, possibly. There is a large gay presence in Capitol Hill and Cheesman Park is the epicenter. Additionally, Capitol Hill is walking distant to downtown and the free 16th Street Mall shuttle, so you will have many art students attending the Colorado Institute of Art and any of the three schools on the Auraria campus (Community College of Denver, Metropolitan State College and the C.U. Boulder’s Denver branch). If you are more liberal minded and not uptight with a diversity of lifestyles, then you will be just fine. As more of the apartments become condominiums, there are less students and younger folks in the area due to the cost of properties rising. But condominium deals can still be found, just watch out for the fixer uppers that were built over 100 years ago. Some structural damages can/may be hidden. The up side with the conversions and improvements in the homes/buildings, there is less crime and noise from renters. Crime still happens on Colfax but that is also significantly improving with all the new business opening and rehabilitation of old structures.

Most of your condos are going to be found west and north of Cheesman Park. I am about a mile away in what is called Governor’s Park, which is southwest of Cheesman. The far west end of Capitol Hill and the southern ends that lead into the Denver Country Club areas were home to some of the wealthiest citizens in the U.S. in the late 1800s and early 1900. We had more millionaires per capita then any other city for several years during this period. Molly Brown’s house is still in Capitol Hill. However, so many of the mansions were not, or could not, be saved and were replace with high-rise condominiums. So a typical block could have several mansions and a couple of apartment buildings/condo. East of Cheesman will find initially some huge mansions for the early 1900s but eventually more residential bungalow homes at Congress Park and Mayfair areas. Side note, Cheesman, Botanical Gardens and Congress were all once the city cemetery and sadly, some of the bodies were not moved.

We don’t have the density, an never will, that SF has but what is comparable is that both cities are in the top five for most walkable place per capita. According to AP this week, those cities are in the order of D.C., Boston, San Francisco, Denver and Portland. A new study found that young professionals are the force behind more walkable communities. I have to drive to Aurora for work (about 20 minutes) but when home, I walk to basically everything from entertainment, nightclubs and groceries.

On a much smaller scale, your shopping on Union Square will be found in Cherry Creek (indoor and out malls). Sadly, this is still the largest tourist attraction for our state, even above skiing. LODO is similar to your Embarcadero/new stadium area, but here I think our area may be a little livelier. We have a City Park with a zoo and our Natural History museum in it, but no where near the size of Golden Gate State Park. Our core downtown has our State Capitol, all major sports arenas, the Denver Art Museum and the new Museum of Contemporary Art, Six Flags Amusement Park, the Convention Center, and the Denver Center for Performing Arts (which is second only to NYC for tickets sales to theatrical shows.) Not to mention the basic business traffic and the development of three new skyscrapers in the 50 floor range. There is a reason the DNC convention will be here next year. Here are a few pics of Capitol Hill that I shot and I hope I have been of some help to you! (and no, most of these were not shot in the winter, those are on another thread I posted).

Last edited by DenverAztec; 12-05-2007 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM

East High School (on Colfax)

Morey Junior High

Dora More Elementary

View from my condo

Other condos and homes

[SIZE=3]

Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

Cheesman Park

AIDS Walk 2007

[/SIZE]

Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 19,464 times
"probably a long shot but does anyone know what sf neighborhood would be similar.. besides density... i mean like with crime, demographics, and that kind of stuff"

As somebody who grew up in San Francisco and has lived here a couple of years, I have to say that the two do not really compare in most respects.

If a local says Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park are diverse, keep in mind that is from a Denver/Colorado perspective...They are not even close to being diverse by San Francisco/California standards. So you won't really find similar demographics here (ethnically, foreign-born population) or neighborhood characteristics (e.g., streets like in SF where you have Asian markets, cosmopolitan bistros, grungy taquerias, and a Russian restaurant frequented by FOB Russians, all next door to each other). Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park are considered very urban areas by people in Denver, but that is in the context of what is otherwise a very low-density sprawling city. Expect quiet leafy streets, a few bars and some restaurants...it can very pleasant actually and quite safe in my experience...even Colfax will be much safer than the Mission, for example. With all that said, Capitol Hill and Cheesman Park are very nice areas for people who want an "urban" experience in Denver and I definitely recommend them above most other areas in the city, particularly given what you've said. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,986,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've heard rumors about what goes on in the bushes at Cheesman, but I've never seen anything, and I used to run the path around the park every day when I lived near there.
Yeah, the infamous stories about what goes on "behind the bushes." I've heard those stories too -- sounds suspiciously like urban legends to me.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini View Post
"As somebody who grew up in San Francisco and has lived here a couple of years, I have to say that the two do not really compare in most respects."
I totally agree with what Santini said, SF and Denver are very different and you will not find the significant variation with cultural diversity here like you can there. Denver does not have that fast pace and density of SF, hence the reason I like to visit there but it is just too fast for me to live in. I also love Chicago and NYC to visit but being in my 40's, I enjoy a slightly slow pace to life. I like being able to walk in my neighborhood at any hour and still feel safe. I will travel for work and play to enjoy the fast pace.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Yeah, the infamous stories about what goes on "behind the bushes." I've heard those stories too -- sounds suspiciously like ....
Sounds suspiciously like ..... Congress.... Si? No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver